It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The name of this forum is incorrect

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Why is this forum titled "Katrina Conspiracy"

It's named a conspiracy before there is even a valid conspiracy identified anywhere. The stench of rense abounds in the title of this forum, in my opinion the name of this forum is an all time low for ATS.

What is a conspiracy?
  • a secret agreement between two or more people to perform an unlawful act
  • a plot to carry out some harmful or illegal act (especially a political plot)
  • a group of conspirators banded together to achieve some harmful or illegal purpose

I enjoy this website because it's all about open discussion of a wide range of topics. There are thousands of very intelligent people posting here daily, and there is often something to learn in every sub forum. But this newly renamed forum is an insult to everyone’s intelligence before they even start to post.

The only valid reason I can see for renaming the forum to include "Conspiracy" in the title is to improve Google hits, and increase search engine ranking in the conspiracy world.

Why does this forum come complete with a "Subject Matter Expert"?

A subject matter "expert" who's shining example of the type of unconfirmed and unsubstantiated content desired here is the (intentional or unintentional) twisting of facts to turn an emergency shelter camp into a detainment camp? A camp where there have been no confirmed "refugees" (or as the author would lead you to believe "detainees"), a camp where the author reported a police officer stated the occupants (if/when some arrive) were free to leave but couldn't return if they chose to do so. (Does that sound like a detainment camp? Can you leave freely when you are "detained"?)

This sets the tone for the entire forum. There little room here for valid debate, little room for valid observations, and little room for an honest unbiased review of the facts. To further reinforce the fact that the forum is not about open debate or discussion, one of the website Administrators warned people they would be banned should they challenge the validity of the original post! And if you ask for facts or confirmation of the Subject Matter Expert's posts you are branded a "jerk" by her!

Well I'm openly challenging it right here. It is NOT a detainment camp. It is NOT the government opressing the people. It is NOT a conspiracy.

Is there a second "Subject Matter Expert" who is gathering the other side of the story? Is there somebody out there gathering evidence that does not support a government conspiracy? No, there is not. That wouldn't generate website traffic, that's not sensational and exciting, that's just plain old boring reality.

I feel terrible for the victims of this natural disaster. I feel terrible for the tens of thousands of rescue workers, volunteers and government employees who are trying their best to deal with this enormous task. I feel even worse because of those who wish to spit in their faces and insult their efforts with some of the unmitigated hateful crap that ends up on this forum (much if it because the title of the forum encourages people to find the worst in everything they view/read).

There is no government conspiracy, there are no "detainment camps" for the disaster victims, and there is no secret plan to wipe out the poor. There was a massive disaster caused by a hurricane hitting an unprepared nation, and now that nation is learning about the mistakes that were made and will learn through their tax dollars how to not make the same mistakes in the future.

[edit on 10-9-2005 by CatHerder]

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The beauty of this place is that you're entitled to your opinion. I say
It is a conspiracy.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
The beauty of this place is that you're entitled to your opinion. I say
It is a conspiracy.

I second that dg

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Since when did you take up lying with both hands Catherder?

I didn't call you a jerk because you asked for facts for my thread? I called you a jerk because you stated that because I came here and shared my experience you hoped there wasn't somebody without a home.

Springer didn't say people couldn't challenge my story. He said that making snide remarks (kind of like the one you made) that have nothing to do with the material of the story wasn't appropriate.

[edit on 9-10-2005 by Valhall]

[edit on 9-10-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
This place sometimes reminds me of the book A Confederacy of Dunces. A classic comedy that is set in New Orleans in the 1960's.

A highly recomended book, BTW.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I believe posts that people are unlikely to agree with generate more replies and hence more points just like governments that redirect funds to personal agendas use spin doctoring to obfuscate their true agenda hence the term conspiracy applies, your argument is refuted...NEXT!

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
don't let your emotions get the best of you ATSers...

yes, this is a sad thing that happined, but don't get all pissed and whatever else some ATSers are doing...

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Oh the DRAMA!!!!!
You can twist words and bend intentions to fit your purile desire for attention all you want, nobody is buying what you are selling mate...

Springer...

[edit on 9-10-2005 by Springer]

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
So you're saying that it's a conspiracy of using the word "conspiracy" when there is infact no conspiracy contained within this conspiracy?

Yeah... I don't think the forum is too aptly named either.
Not that I deny that there could be some conspiracy involved (althought I doubt it), but rather I think that speculations on conspiracy should take a backseat to the facts that have been left unexplored.

I'd preffer "Katrina Fallout", or something along those lines.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I certainly have no problem with Valhall's post, but I don't really like the forum name either...it's pretty biased and baiting on its own.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It is a conspiracy. A harmful act was done and that is the neglegent inaction by FEMA and the Federal Government.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by GTWill
It is a conspiracy. A harmful act was done and that is the neglegent inaction by FEMA and the Federal Government.

Neglegence does not equal conspiracy.

Let's look it up on Dictionary.com.

Neglegence
1. The state or quality of being negligent.
2. A negligent act or a failure to act.
3. Law. Failure to exercise the degree of care considered reasonable under the circumstances, resulting in an unintended injury to another party.

Conspiracy
1. An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act.
2. A group of conspirators.
3. Law. An agreement between two or more persons to commit a crime or accomplish a legal purpose through illegal action.
4. A joining or acting together, as if by sinister design: a conspiracy of wind and tide that devastated coastal areas.

Well I guess maybe in a metaphorical sense there was a conspiracy related to the huricane.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Well people believe that the levee's were intentionally destroyed to protect the rich neighborhoods, which did survive as a result. People believe the response was intentionally slow to kill as many black people as possible. Some people even believe that Katrina was a man made storm, so the name of this forum is very appropriate.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
NinjaCodeMonkey:
While it's true that some people believe these things and want to dig into them, I definatly feel that they are secondary to more tangible issues.

*Should NO be re-built in the same location?

*What impact is all that tainted water going to have in the long run?

*Should Bush and Co be publicly shot as traitors to mankind?

*Are civil liberties being violated?

*How can this sort of thing be prevented in the future?

Most importantly:
*Identifying and countering the Spin put out by officals and mitigation of informational damage caused by the sensationalist media.

These are real issues and worth debate, research, and exposure.
Comicbook weather machines and dark fantisys of NWO directive should be taking a backseat... if not moved to "the short bus".

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by CatHerder

Why is this forum titled "Katrina Conspiracy"

It's named a conspiracy before there is even a valid conspiracy identified anywhere. The stench of rense abounds in the title of this forum, in my opinion the name of this forum is an all time low for ATS.

What is a conspiracy?
  • a secret agreement between two or more people to perform an unlawful act
  • a plot to carry out some harmful or illegal act (especially a political plot)
  • a group of conspirators banded together to achieve some harmful or illegal purpose

1) At least 2 or more citizens did know the levees would not hold. It has been public knowledge since at least 1962, so it was no secret.

2) It is not illegal, but it is harmfull and detrimental to americans that americans did not care enough to take the necessary precautions to prevent this national blunder.

3) Americans did band together to neglect the levees necessary upkeep, maintenance, and repairs. I say repairs, because the 15 foot levees were only 13 & 1/2 feet high, due to decades of errosion.

Americans are the conspirators, and continue to be as long as they view themselves as absolutley blameless with no responsibility to be more than self serving before such an event.

That all being said, I agree with you. I do not like the title of this forum. It is tunnel vision, and it confines the rhetoric to attempt to restrain certain truths. Perhaps it is a conspiracy ....

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I completly agree with CatHerder... i dont see where the conspiracy is... where is the conspiracy on a Natural disaster... Unless of course George Bush is All-Mighty God on Earth and has the Power to control the weather... and i dont think thats the case.

I think naming Katrina a "conspiracy" is at least REACHING...

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Did anyone do a Google search on ATS?

Above Top Secret - Uncovering Government Secrets
Conspiracy related news and discusion. Main topics include government cover-ups,
freemasons, illuminati, aliens, ufo's, secret societies, politics
, ...

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by GTWill

And the citizens. Remember, the ones who put the people in the positions of authority and accountability.

If their were failures at every level of government, then why no accountablility put on those who put them there?

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reading things of this nature where a natural disaster is called a CONSPIRACY and blamed on a man that cant even control his future my as well nature, makes me think i would probably better of on drugs !

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Did anyone do a Google search on ATS?

Above Top Secret - Uncovering Government Secrets
Conspiracy related news and discusion. Main topics include government cover-ups,
freemasons, illuminati, aliens, ufo's, secret societies, politics
, ...

I realize ATS is for conspiracies, but why just one Katrina Conspiracy? And why the "FEMA Failure" part? I, and am sure a lot of other members, feel that State and local governments were just as to blame if not more to blame than FEMA...Why not just "Katrina Aftermath and Conspiracies"? I think that would be less biased, yet capture the feel of the forum.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join