It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United Nations To Be Hit Hard By Report Into Oil-For-Food Scandle

page: 1

join
share:
la2

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The report was leaked lastnite and commented on by BBC news, the report, due out later today will slam the UN and suggest that it needs urgent reform. It will also blame poor administration, poor leadership and corruption to a high level.

today.reuters.com
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The United Nations urgently needs stronger leadership and wide-ranging reforms to prevent the "illicit, unethical and corrupt behavior" uncovered in the $64 billion oil-for-food program for Iraq, a year-long inquiry found.

The investigation by the Independent Inquiry Committee, headed by Paul Volcker, the former U.S. Federal Reserve chairman, to be released on Wednesday, says the United Nations was ill-equipped to handle a program of that magnitude "or even programs of a lesser scope

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The UN is supposed to be the governing body that over see's government, the protector of the people, however how can it be doing its job correctly if this daming report is correct.

Kofi Annan has seemed bewildered by this scandal, which has destracted from the immensity of the genuine good the UN has and continues to acheive.

The question is, if this body is corrupt, are we to believe this about our own respective governments too?

Related News Links:
www.theaustralian.news.com.au
www.japantoday.com
www.telegraph.co.uk
www.timesonline.co.uk

[edit on 27-9-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Suggest past Cdn Prime Minister Chretian be asked and if accepted then voted on as Sec General United Nations. He's honest and he's fair.

He does not play around with anything or pick sides. Seems to me Chretian is a Man of staying with common sense and fair observations.

Dallas

"he does (added: NOT)

[edit on 7-9-2005 by Dallas]

la2

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
One point made by The BBC lastnight was the macro affairs, member states making life difficult in order to further there own affairs, the UN needs reform, but is rushed reform amongst critism the way to go?

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Dallas:

Come on man, our former PM is many things but Honest he ain't. He is a politician. For them, lying and double faced(Ever think about the root of a term? Politician - Poly - Greek meaning many, and Tette(sp?) from the french meaning head, face.?? Just guessing) is just part of their nature. In a sense, expecting a politician to be honest is like expecting a dog not to lick his ......... They can't help it, it's nature.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Well I have to agree his first election promise of removal of GST was off in accordance to "read the book" as was about the same as Bush 1", read my lips "no new taxes".

But all and all I still feel he would excel the security council to act when it's needed. And have respect from them too, if there is such a thing anymore.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Sounds like Kofi is going to be gone after the full report comes out.

No more Kofi breaks...

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Lets put all the focus on the UN, shall we.

How about trying to fix our own messes? Anything to divert the Rove, hurricane,criminal acts etc. etc. etc...

We dont have enough going on.

la2

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I think that the UN is very important even if its just as a place where all world leaders can meet. It desperatly needs reform, hower i feel Bush is making that harder with his appointment of John Bolton.

top topics

join