It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillary Clinton calls for Katrina Commission

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
With her husband as part of the "Katrina Fund" with George Bush Sr., Senator Hillary Clinton has called for an Independent National Commission to review Katrina relief efforts.

www.myrtlebeachonline.com
With many blaming the growing scope of Katrina's devastation on the Bush administration, Sen. Hillary Clinton called Sunday for a 9/11-style probe into how the federal government responded to the crisis.

"It has become increasingly evident that our nation was not prepared," Clinton, D-N.Y., said in a letter to Bush asking him to set up a "Katrina Commission."

"The slow pace of relief efforts in the face of a mounting death toll ... seems to confirm that our ability to respond to cataclysmic disasters has not been adequately addressed," she said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I dont see a problem with this as I have stated before that this incident proves that we are not prepared to handle a national disaster, man made or natural.

Chertoff stated, in response to this request for an inquiry, that there will be "plenty of time to point fingers later". Yes, there will, but that's not what this inquiry is for. This inquiry is to reassess our ability to respond to cataclysmic disasters which obviously has not been improved since 9/11.

Related News Links:
www.nationalledger.com
www.newsmax.com
www.news24.com
www.pardonmyenglish.com

[edit on 10-9-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I would much rather see an investigation launched by several bi-partisan representatives to lessen the
fallout of political attacks.

If too much time goes by, this only allows the guilty more time to access the document shredders.

As you may imagine there is a very strong likelyhood that this investigation will lead to criminal prosecution for criminal neglect and mismanagement of resources.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I think the senator is answering to the knock of opportunity. Katrina is very much the anti-911 for Bush.

df1

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
The independent 9/11 commission worked so well at keeping the hands of our legislative politicians clean that they want to try it again with the Katrina relief efforts. I have no doubt that both republicans and democrats will go along with it.

The problem is that it is suppose to be the job of the legislature to investigate such matters, not some commission that has no responsibility to the public. The U.S. legislature abdicated its power on the Iraq war by refusing to vote on a declaration of war. It abdicated its power by allowing a commission to conduct the 9/11 investigation. And now it wants to abdicate its power again via the use of a commission to investigate the Katrina relief efforts.

Do we really have elected representatives responsibe to the public or are we being governed by commissions that have no responsibility to the public?

I dont like the answer and no American should either.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I think Senator Clinton is just trying to do her job as a Senator of the U S in a very bad situation. She is trying to make sure it don't happen again, to protect her constituent from a similar tragedy.

[edit on 9/5/2005 by bodebliss]

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
nvrmd stupdi question

[edit on 5-9-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
There is a bit of a difference between what happened with Katrina and other natural or possible man made catastrophes. There were parts of NO that were flooded up to 20 feet, some people don't seem to realize that you can't send trucks into such areas, and helicopters that were trying to bring much needed provisions and to take people out were being shot at by criminals in NO stopping most of the aid.

Those gangs and thugs were takinbg advantage of the situation to loot, rape and kill, and they wanted to keep things that way, thus shooting at police officers, first aid responders, military helicopters and even to other civilians.

If there is a possibility that things could have sped up a bit despite all the violence those criminals were bringing to the streets of NO, then those people responsible need to pay for those mistakes.

IMO great part of the blame lies on the governor of NO, for taking so long to accept the president's help and for not evacuating all the people from NO, which is what she should have done.

[edit on 5-9-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Well if we had a leader for a President, he would have been able to convince the govenor ahead of th hurricane to aquiesce on this issue . Instead he was out of the loop as usual.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 03:37 AM
link   
ummm.
This disaster is not over..
Can we wait, until this is done being a disaster, and the slightest
modicum of normalcy is returned?
Then the left can point right, and the right can point left..

new topics

top topics

join