It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S. Sub Collides With Cargo Ship in Gulf

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 06:09 AM
link   
A U.S. navy fast attack submarine has collided with a Turkish cargo ship in the Persian Gulf. The nuclear powered USS Philadelphia was on the surface when it hit the Turkish-flagged M/V Yaso Aysen at around 2 a.m. local time. There are no reports of injuries and only superficial damage to both ships.

news.yahoo.com
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A nuclear-powered U.S. Navy submarine collided with a Turkish cargo ship in the Persian Gulf early Monday, the U.S. Navy reported. Nobody was injured and both ships appeared to suffer only superficial damage, said the spokesman for the U.S. Navy 5th Fleet, Cmdr. Jeffrey Breslau.

It was the U.S. Navy's second collision with a civilian vessel in the Gulf in 14 months.

The USS Philadelphia was traveling on the surface of the Gulf when it hit the Turkish-flagged M/V Yaso Aysen at around 2 a.m. local time, said a statement from the 5th Fleet Headquarters in Bahrain.

The collision happened about 30 miles northeast of Bahrain, said Breslau.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is the second accident in just over a year for the navy in the Gulf waters. The USS John F. Kennedy hit a small ship 14 months ago. The captain was relived of his command over the incident. I would expect the same here even if it was not the Captains fault. Its good to see that nobody was hurt in the collision.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I saw the title and the first thing that popped into my head was "Oh god the Greenville did it again."
I'm a little nervous about her, since they haven't mentioned her in the news lately. Glad to hear nobody hurt in this one too.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   
bwhaha, what an idiots

They have systems on board that can detect shrimps on the bottom of the sea, but they can hear, or even see a ship??!!

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Yeah its amazing that they would have allowed anything to get close. They were on the surface for christ sakes :shk:

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   
It must be our month to appear lame to the world, and we're doing a good job of it, too.

[edit on 9/5/2005 by bodebliss]

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   
it's amazing that this sort of thing still happens these days especially in hi-tech submarines. I dont think the captain should be fired if it wasnt his fault imo

thanks,

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 06:30 AM
link   
What if the Turkish ship had a bomb. Or someone inside that came out with a RPG and blasted the sub.

Nuclear disaster?

What if terrorist divers were able to attach a bomb in the confusion. Not good, and pretty sad for the Navy.

Im sure it happened for some preplanned reason.
It was an exercise.

[edit on 5-9-2005 by YaYo]

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   
In the military, anytime something happens to your ship it's the commander's fault.

He will have his board of inquiry and then maybe a court martial.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
it's amazing that this sort of thing still happens these days especially in hi-tech submarines. I dont think the captain should be fired if it wasnt his fault imo

As posted above, a Captain is the sole responsable party for his ship. The sub that struck the uncharted sea mount that killed one sailor had its captain relieved of duty as well. Fault or no fault, this Captain is done.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I guess this means that the US subs arent that good afterall.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   
The subs are good.

It all goes back to leadership.

America seems to be at a deficit these days.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodebliss
In the military, anytime something happens to your ship it's the commander's fault.

He will have his board of inquiry and then maybe a court martial.

Too bad the Commander-In-Chief isn't held to the same level of accountabilty.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   

I just don't see the sense in this policy. The only positive thing I can see coming from it is that it is a great motivator for a commander to know every inch of his ship and to be ever vigil in all aspects of command, from maintenance right through to crew morale. But it comes across as a bit of a misguided scapegoat policy. Let's not figure out why the error occured and attack the problem at its cause so that it doesn't occur again, lets just find someone to blame and then everyone's happy, knowing that at least someone was punished. Faulty sonar? Sack the Captain! Throw 'im off the conn tower!

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Maybe we should blame the US Scientists for being so stupid as to not give the submarine the technology to dodge other ships.

Is it really the commanders fault? I mean its probably the guidance computer that didnt have the safeguards to stop the submarine from ramming another ship. Or at least a warning with authorization request from captain "Sir are you sure you want to ram the ship?".

Its the Department of Educations fault.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Does anyone know what the environmental damage would be if there were a serious accident involving a Nuclear powered sub?

I know that some countries prohibit the use of nuclear powered vessels and was wondering just how serious the consequences could be in the event of a major accident.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
Does anyone know what the environmental damage would be if there were a serious accident involving a Nuclear powered sub?

I think it depends on the accident. There are several nuclear subs that we know of lying on the ocean floor Scorpion, Thresher et al. that went down. However in those cases thier reactor vessels are supposedly contained.

That being said, if a nuclear reactor went critical aboard a sub or say a huge ship collied with one and tore it apart, especially in the relativly shallow gulf waters. I would expect there to be some damage to the environment and cleanup would be an impossible task. How bad? I have no idea.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
I saw the title and the first thing that popped into my head was "Oh god the Greenville did it again."

When I saw the title, I thought "Oh no, haven't they had enough problems down in NOLA?"

Some of the warning systems in the sub must have been disabled for this to happen. A lot of the detetction systems are automatic, designed to set off bells and whistles automatically, without human intervention.

new topics

top topics

join