It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giving vs. Taking.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way.....I ENCOURAGE everyone to give to their charity of choice for the Katrina relief effort.

However, I just watched President Bush deliver a speech where his ONLY focus was on Americans giving to the Red Cross because of their great need in this time.

Then, this thought occurred to me.....

When there is a disaster off shore (the recent tsunami, as an example) we immediately open the Federal coffers and send aid. Isn't it bizarre that when the disaster strikes at home, we rely upon "private" aid? In other words, foreign disasters are funded by tax dollars (and therefore by definition, involuntarily), but for domestic disasters we rely upon voluntary "private" aid and at best government loans that MUST be paid back???

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Isn't it bizarre that when the disaster strikes at home, we rely upon "private" aid?

What did you miss the news that a bill was signed allocating over 10 Billion dollars to help the victims? Those were not loans either most are to cover the clean up efforts alone not rebuilding. Other expenses including the hiring of airliners, buses, trains, etc to transport the victims. And let us not forget the chartering of 3 cruise ships to house the victims, those are not loans either.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Isn't it bizarre that when the disaster strikes at home, we rely upon "private" aid?

What did you miss the news that a bill was signed allocating over 10 Billion dollars to help the victims? Those were not loans either most are to cover the clean up efforts alone not rebuilding. Other expenses including the hiring of airliners, buses, trains, etc to transport the victims. And let us not forget the chartering of 3 cruise ships to house the victims, those are not loans either.

You are perhaps right.....a clear case of my gut reaction preceding my brain.

Still, I'd like to see the full text of this Bill.....Anyone know where to find it? I've looked and have come up dry...

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Katrina Relief Bill

Bush signs $10.5 bln spending bill for Katrina

Bush and Congress have described the measure as a downpayment on what will be a larger amount of money to be made available in coming weeks.
Facing scathing criticism over the government's slow response to the disaster, Bush said the relief effort so far had been unacceptable but he pledged to fix it.

This is what should be happening.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I'm sorry, maybe I'm missing something, but that link is not the text of the bill.

Did they move it?

[edit on 4-9-2005 by loam]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I'm sorry, maybe I'm missing something, but that link is not the text of the bill.

Did they move it?

[edit on 4-9-2005 by loam]

Man, I'm sorry. I thought you wanted the story. I can't find the text, either. Hmmm...

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I can't find the text, either. Hmmm...

Isn't that strange??? Why wouldn't this be plastered on all the usual government websites???

What is really in that bill? Have you read about the unorthodox way in which it was passed? The Senators were called by phone to see if they had any objections.

top topics

join