It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A-bomb Of the rodent world

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Snake one of snakes of the world. My new weekly installment, A diffrent snake every few days from all over. I am Starting in Australia and moving west. Any request Be sure to ask.

The A-bomb of the rodent world is the inland taipan

Although the Inland Taipan has the most potent venom of any land snake on earth, it is usually quite shy and has a placid disposition. It occurs in the drainages of the cooper and Diamantina creeks and their tributaries and, at least in the very recent past, also in the drainages of the Bulloo, Paroo, Warrego and lower Darling Rivers. There are two early European records of specimens from the latter more eastern drainages but no further specimens have been found. It is possible that represented outlier populations that have since become extinct, or that the eastern and southern range of the species has contracted. Since European settlement, changes in land use and subtle climatic changes have made these areas unsuited to the Inland Taipan.

users.esc.net.au...

Inland Taipans of southwestern Queensland, Australia are the world's most venomous snakes! Although inland taipans (also known as western taipans, fierce snakes, or small-scaled snakes) may not be as famous as cobras and rattlesnakes, their single bite that delivers up to 110 mg of venom is poisonous enough to kill 100 people, or 250,000 mice!
www.edhelper.com...

The extraordinary thing about both Taipans is their potency. The Coastal Taipan has a profuse supply of highly toxic venom delivered by very long fangs. The Inland Taipan simply has the most toxic venom of any known land snake. Therefore, when Rob Bredl and I decide to make a documentary about these two snakes, it seems only natural to focus on the reasons for their remarkably toxic arsenal. The question we ask is why do these snakes need to be so deadly?

The Coastal Taipan is a big, very deadly snake, alert, fast and not many people have seen one in the wild. These ingredients alone guarantee legendry status but the Taipan's history is curious. Kevin Budden's haunting story epitomises much of what the Taipan is about. A passionate 'herp', he collected the first Taipan used for research into Taipan antivenom. The snake was caught on the outskirts of Cairns in a dump. Holding on to it, he walked to the road and hitched a ride back to Cairns with a frightened truck driver. By this time, his hands and fingers must have been very stiff and the snake bit him as he released into a bag. He died twenty-seven hours later. His death in 1950 urged on the production of a life saving antivenom.
www.barefootbushman.com...

[edit on 3-9-2005 by SpittinCobra]

[edit on 3-9-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Anyone like snakes besides me?

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I'm quite interested in them. They're very interesting critters.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
I'm quite interested in them. They're very interesting critters.

What facts do you know about snakes?

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Wow! And here I thought the black mamba had the deadliest venom. Consider me informed. Thanks SpittinCobra!

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Cobra, I kept snakes in High School, including a hog-nosed snake, black snake and a couple of garter snakes. Later I bought a retic, rosy, and finally an anaconda.

I was hit once in the desert by a Mojave rattler, which, as you may know, is one of the few Arizona snakes whose venom is neurotoxic rather than haemotoxic. I got antivenin via a helicopter ride within twenty minutes and within a couple of days I was okay.

And I still like snakes!

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by sinta_ilfirin
Wow! And here I thought the black mamba had the deadliest venom. Consider me informed. Thanks SpittinCobra!

We will be talking about my friend in a couple of days. It may not have the deadliest venom but for sure he is one of the most deadly snakes. They are very agressive, smart, and fast. but thats enough about them for now.
I will be breaing down the Green and black mamba show how they differ.

[edit on 5-9-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Wow, off the streets, you are pretty lucky. Im glad you still like and respect the snake. He was only doing what he knows, fight or flight.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   

A very pretty taipan. Besure to check out history of snakes and the death adder, in the newest snake threads.

I honestly hope people enjoy learning about snakes and how they are miss understood.

top topics

join