It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your phobia?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I know many people can't even talk about their phobia, but all the people who can, please tell...

I'll start myself:

I have ashtrays phobia, specially if the are full and made of wood.

I'm feeling sick... guess this was not a good idea...

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I don't like to go to the bathroom in urinal. I guess i have a shy bladder but like once I go into a stall I can urinate. Really weird and embarassing but I know other men have this problem. I'm speaking for em.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I just flat out don't like public bathrooms. Not that I'm phobic about it, but I prefer to use my own toilet.

However when it comes to phobias, it's needles for me. I hate to look at them, watch them be used, get shot with one, talk about them. And yeah I just don't like needles.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   
i am scared of spiders, wasps and HORNETS!!

i can see a spider and i dont freak out but if i turn arond and its in my face, i would scream and run a mile! i have never been stung by a wasps so i am always curious and hornets!!! you see the size of those buggers!!

they are the size of my hand!! we had a nest in my street they terrorised everyone at dusk time!

oni x x

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I second the public urinals. And add public speaking. I always forget to breath then I talk fast then Im incoherent and before you know it my five minute presentation has been finished in two minutes which is bad

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
My phobias are
Needles- I can sit and watch slasher movies and not miss a beat, show me a needle and I am heading for the hills!

Bridges- can't stand going over a bridge. probably because I had just crossed a bridge between FLA and Ga. back in the 70's and just after I had got back onto land, a larger ship took out the bridge!

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   

I don't like to go to the bathroom in urinal. I guess i have a shy bladder but like once I go into a stall I can urinate. Really weird and embarassing but I know other men have this problem. I'm speaking for em

I don't have a phobia about them, but I just prefer to sit... Standing and peeing makes me feel like a damn wild animal....

I used to have a phobia of alligators and sharks (I saw a hammerhead about 6' away underwater when I was 5), but I've gotten over those.

Now, the only two left are Pirahnas and Zombies, and neither pose a big threat to me on any given day, hehe....

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I'm a Cynophobic, I'm scared of dogs ...
but it's all good, I like puppies ... I'm just scared of the 'big' dogs ... don't know why, I guess because I was attacked by a pitbull or something when I was a kid. Ah the experiences of life...

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Mine is Spiders *shivers*

and also things like cups and plates in kitchen cuboards and draws,
I cant drink out of a cup if i see it in a enclosed place lol I think that comes from when i was a kid and pulled out a cup and there was a creepy crawly inside the cup. Ever since i just cant do it

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Im scared of computers...ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!

Mic

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Huh...I thought I was weird with my phobia of bridges...

Bridges over widdle streams? Fine.
Bridges over land? Fine, fine.

Bridges over huge gaping masses of water?

Me no likey the bridges. I'd love to see the Florida keys...except there's that whole "bridge, over HUGE area of open water.." issue. Oddly, I don't mind swimming in the ocean (even in Florida...land of sharks, yo), provided I can see the coastline. It's huge areas of open water, I think, that do me in...I took the ferry from Seattle to Orcas Island, and was an anxious wreck the entire time.

Train tracks, too. I'm freaky about train tracks.

Don't like walking over 'em, really don't like having to drive over 'em.

(That one is easy to explain: I saw the remnants - and remains
- of a small train crash when I was about 5)

And tunnels.

I don't like tunnels much, either.

(I'm beginning to see a theme here...hmmmmmmmmm)

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I don't know that it's a phobia as such, but it certainly is my greatest fear and I guess it's kind of quirky in the same way as phobias.

When I was young, my parents tried to get me to eat all kinds of things, as parents do with their children. When I refused to eat something, I was beaten severely to within an inch of my life and locked in a room with the lights out until I would. If I refused, I would get another, much more severe hiding. The food would be thrown on the ground and I'd have to eat it anyway before I could come out.

So, to this day there are very few foods I can eat comfortably. Events such as dinners, bbqs or really any event where you are expected to eat makes me extremely nervous and I usually find ways of excusing myself.

And that, believe it or not, is the first time I have ever mentioned this particular fear to anybody at all.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah25
When I was young, my parents tried to get me to eat all kinds of things, as parents do with their children. When I refused to eat something, I was beaten severely to within an inch of my life and locked in a room with the lights out until I would. If I refused, I would get another, much more severe hiding. The food would be thrown on the ground and I'd have to eat it anyway before I could come out.

OMG...Are you being serious?

Mic

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
geez Jeremiah25,

No wonder you find that situation hard,
Im sorry you had to go through that as a child

Sometimes its good to get stuff like that out, who knows it might be the start of you getting over that,

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee
OMG...Are you being serious?

Mic

I'm afraid so. Growing up wasn't really a party for me. Check out my previous postings on ATS if you wish - you will see that I always make a significant effort not to sensationalise and I do not lie.

I would also like to apologise to Peronemlin for killing the conversation on this thread. It was not my intent to do so with my comments and I hope you forgive my actions - I should have given more thought to the ramifications of my statement on a light-hearted thread. Sorry, mate.

To spur things on, I shall contribute a phobia my brother has which I myself am responsible for. You know when the sun goes behind a cloud and a line of shadow begins to creep over the ground? Well, when we were young, my brother and I were walking home from school when this very thing happened. The shadow began to creep up on us from behind and was moving very quickly. My brother was 5 years old - I was 9, and I told him that if the shadow touched him he would be sucked into a void from which there was no escape. He ran screaming all the way home

To this day, he has a phobia of those spreading shadows. I feel so bad.

Edit
asala- Thanks for the kind words. It's something I'm still trying to deal with, but I don't like to whinge about it. I'm slowly making progress, but it's very hard. It wasn't until this year, at the age of 26, that I began to think that maybe it wasn't my own fault.

[edit on 11/9/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Jer....if you didn't live in Australia, I'd swear you were my big brother, too

He did the exact thing to me, when I was a kid. He's 9 years my senior. Meanie, he is.

Thank you for sharing though

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I have a phobia of the heat; the sun; being outside when it's hot. Also of elevators; I can't ride in one alone or I think I'm gonna die.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Oh my..I'd forgotten about elevators!

I go to the local hospital a lot, and some days I just can't manage the umpteen flights of steps...which leaves the Hell-ivator.

It's small.

It's dark.

AND IT HAS WINDOWS.

Not good for me. Not good, I tell you. I can "see" myself hurtling downwards to my demise, or worse, Willy Wonka Glass Elevator-style zooming upwards into the sky.

And then there's that darn Final Destination 2 movie....gads...

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I have a fear of spiders, a fear of getting cold (specifically when I play in water or am in danger of being splashed by cold water), and a fear of heights.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
Oh my..I'd forgotten about elevators!

I go to the local hospital a lot, and some days I just can't manage the umpteen flights of steps...which leaves the Hell-ivator.

It's small.

It's dark.

AND IT HAS WINDOWS.

Not good for me. Not good, I tell you. I can "see" myself hurtling downwards to my demise, or worse, Willy Wonka Glass Elevator-style zooming upwards into the sky.

And then there's that darn Final Destination 2 movie....gads...

I had to go to a doctor that was on an upper floor and the stairwell locked...which didn't seem good for fire escape...anyways, they had a glass elevator. I thought it would be easier in the glass elevator, but I freaked out all the same

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join