It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your phobia?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
My phobia is the very typical one of "fearing spiders". I would suppose that this is, in some way, a primal fear. However I dread dry dark places where "I know" that spiders lurk. Keep in mind that I'm a man who is 6'2", an avid outdoorsman who enjoys camping, canoeing and "manly" pursuits but in the presence of a spider, I get as nervous as a schoolgirl.

Aside from being a fear that has been described as primal, I would attribute my fear of spiders to one specific day in my childhood. When I was twelve years old, or thereabouts, my mother assigned me to the task of cleaning out an old basement storage room. It was a room that can only be described as the perfect environment for nurturing the growth of a colony of spiders. Nevertheless, I braved the cobwebs and spiderwebs to diligently go about my business of cleaning; sweeping, dusting, and washing. I spent on a lot of time on my hands and knees. After about an hour or so of focused effort, my older brother came down to check in on me. When he entered the room he all but freaked! He started to slap my back with a magazine or rolled up newspaper. It seems that while I was cleaning, hundreds of spiders -- hundreds -- had descended upon me. They were in my hair, in my clothes and all over my body. Needless to say, as a little kid, I went totally freaky; ripping off my clothes and running to the shower. A day later, I had literally hundreds of small red bumps all over where the spiders had bitten me. Thankfully, they weren't poisonous and the bites didn't cause any sort of reaction but the experience certainly left an impact on my psyche. Ever since then I have been very wary of these eight legged creatures.

In later years, in an effort to confront my fears, I purchased a Chilean Rose Tarantula thinking that my fear would be alleviated through familiarity and knowledge. It didn't work. Even though I was able to conjure up the courage to handle "Rosie" every day, instead of finding my fear lessening, I grew to dread these encounters more and more. Still, I persisted but to no avail. I don't like to hear of harm coming to any animal but I will say that I was not saddened when, after a year and a half, I found Rosie dead in her terrarium. And even though I have increased knowledge of my fears -- spiders -- this has not lessened my sense of dread every time I see one of those disgusting creatures.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Spiders - When I was 9 we were on our 15km drive home with the fire wood we had collected in the back seat - not knowing there was a spider nest in there, 300+ spiders crawling though the car, our clothes was ew.

Locked boxes/freezers - when i was 12 a friend of my step fathers put me in a freezer and sat on the lid - I havn't been able to go in a boot, box, small space that I can't get out of since.

Lighting - when I was 12 my grandmother took me to a theme park, there was a wheel there you could spin and it told you how you were going to die. 8 out 10 times it said lighting - the other two drowning, there was like 30 possibilities.

Dogs - I have been mauled by many - once one stole my pants.

Rabits - long long story there.

I have others but I am not going into them due to the fact that some people may be offended, my phsyc said its very easy for me to form a Phobia of something, the ones she has picked up on though I don't see as being weird.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 03:58 AM
link   
My phobia is work nah just kidding i had a Phobia of needles about 4 years ago i over came this in hospital, because the doctor tried to get a vein to pop up for the drip thing but for some reason it took him 6 attempts, count em 6 so whenever i need an injection i aint afraid.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Asking women I like out !!!

Same lol

I Don't really have any. Well i guess I dont like spiders, and heights, I looked down of a large cliff face, where people have died from falling off, oh, and seeing people sitting on the roof of a building, with no hand railing, there legs were dangling down!

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Hmm.... now that I think about it, I've figured out I have more phobias than I thought.

1. Needles.
  2. Having somebody I respect be angry at me when I'm not angry at them.
  3. People touching my skin. I don't really mind so much when they touch me when there's a shirt between me and them. But touching my bareskin just really gets to me it seems. I don't freak out or anything, it just really bugs me inside. And then I think about it for a really long time.
  4. Girls acting really strange around me. It means they're plotting something, and girls are frickin unpredictable, which make's the plotting even worse.
  5. Suffocating.
  6. Drowning.
  7. Being eaten alive.
  8. Being locked outside.
  9. Ok this one may seem really weird, but I have a phobia of calling people on the phone. I don't mind it when somebody calls me, but I hate calling other people.
  10. Dating. I'm so afraid of it I won't ask a girl out, and never have. Although this might actually be a fear of rejection, but I don't actually plan on testing that theory.
  11. Having both my kidney's stolen.
  12. Being hit in the head with a golf ball. This stem's from the fact that it happened to me during math class in seventh grade. Thank goodness the guy used a putter instead of a driver

[edit on 12/3/2005 by cyberdude78]

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
The only true "phobia" that I have is that I'm a triskaidekaphobe. That is, I have an irrational fear of the number 13. I can't have 13 of anything.

Oddly enough, I don't have a fear of Friday the 13th though. I've often joked that Friday the 13th really shouldn't be bad luck anyway, since Friday's a good day. If anything, Monday the 13th should be unlucky.

The only other inherent fear I have is of snakes, and particularly of poisonous ones. I don't care much for any snakes, but I can tolerate them. But the very thought of a rattlesnake fills me with dread.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I suffer from both Coulrophobia and Claustrophobia, so if I am locked in a closet with clowns...I am pretty much screwed.

Seriously.

Neither of these phobias rule my life, but they can make it uncomfortable at times.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
My phobia is water vortexs. They give me nightmares, I dont like it how something gets cought in a vortex and makes its way to the centre, going down to who knows where o_o'

I had a terrable nightmare when a big beam of light hit the ground and made a huge ENDLESS hole obsorbing the ocean, the city, and people. This dream was SO DETAILED where there were cars crashing on the freeway and pushing one another off the ledge down into the vortex. Then theres people running and screams and debris everywhere. Most people were brainwashed that this was a sign, to jump in and go to salavation!! Than there were the opposing crowd on boats with big speakers telling the people to stop that its a trap. To say the least, it was chaotic.. Luckily it didnt end with me falling into that terrable thing.

Oh and theres people shooting themselves in the head so they dont have to live getting sucked into the vortex... Terrable... Than theres people praying and throwing offerings down into the vortex like money, pennies and such... =l ..flowers..

Than my other phobia is numbers. Infinite numbers. Terrable nightmares of endless numbers crowding my mind where it literally threatens me of losing my capability of comprehending and breath. My theory is that god created infinity and is utterly plagued or swamped by it to go for the end which there is no end and is stuck. Or part of god is stuck... Chaotic =l

[edit on 28-9-2006 by 7Ayreon]

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I know its pretty standard, but I am afraid of fire and drowning to death. I am probaly more afraid of water since I almost drowned in a pool as a kid. I was standing next to the side of a pool and an older kid jumped on my back and hung on until we both sank to the bottom. Luckily an adult noticed what was going on and dived into the pool about 30 seconds later. Had no one noticed what was going I may not have made it.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
my phobia is dinosaurphobio dinosaurs scare me

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Claustrophobia. I can't stand closed in spaces, especially elevators. I can't stand being handcuffed, tied up or immobilized in any way.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I have a huge fear of liberals. I think the scientific term is taxtoomuchaphobia? Or is it cutandrunaphobia? Not sure which one it is.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
i have social phobia. i do not like to be around people or interact with people. people really like me tho. they think i am weird in a good way. females are always attracted to me and want to go out but my phobia is getting worse although some days it can be ok. i think the things that i know tend to enhance it a bit. most of the normal people have no clue about whats going on in the world today...(new world order, mark of the beast, iraq war etc..) when i try and tell them whats happening thats when they start looking at me a little strange. i have learned to keep my thoughts to myself unless an opportunity presents itself. people need to wake up. i would much rather be on here than out drinking with a bunch of people. now when i was in my 20s it was complete opposite. anyway thats my story and im stickin to it.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Well, promise you won't laugh! I clearly see the irony myself, being on a board where substantial part is made up by alien and UFO conspiracies
...but... OK, I'll admit it.

I (used to) have a phobia about UFOs and aliens. When I was younger.

Back in the 50's, when the UFO mania was at its highest (BTW we called them "flying saucers" back then) I couldn't sleep in a room with a view of the skies. Just to look one second through the window out in the dark would scare the hell out of me.

I learned many years ago to control my fear with rationals, but till this day I haven't visited any of the UFO forums on ATS yet.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
The only thing i'm afraid of in this world is:
www.leaps.ms... gs%2520and%2520toads%2520information_files/44ktest.jpg" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

The only thing.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I have a phobia of being on any ride in the dark, or if theyres animotronic dinosaurs on it. When I was little my dad held me over a 40 foot animotronic T-Rex and I just get freaked out wherever theres animotronic dinosaurs around.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Hmm.... now that I think about it, I've figured out I have more phobias than I thought.

1. Needles.
  2. Having somebody I respect be angry at me when I'm not angry at them.
  3. People touching my skin. I don't really mind so much when they touch me when there's a shirt between me and them. But touching my bareskin just really gets to me it seems. I don't freak out or anything, it just really bugs me inside. And then I think about it for a really long time.
  4. Girls acting really strange around me. It means they're plotting something, and girls are frickin unpredictable, which make's the plotting even worse.
  5. Suffocating.
  6. Drowning.
  7. Being eaten alive.
  8. Being locked outside.
  9. Ok this one may seem really weird, but I have a phobia of calling people on the phone. I don't mind it when somebody calls me, but I hate calling other people.
  10. Dating. I'm so afraid of it I won't ask a girl out, and never have. Although this might actually be a fear of rejection, but I don't actually plan on testing that theory.
  11. Having both my kidney's stolen.
  12. Being hit in the head with a golf ball. This stem's from the fact that it happened to me during math class in seventh grade. Thank goodness the guy used a putter instead of a driver

[edit on 12/3/2005 by cyberdude78]

I share your thing about the phone, I think its more of an obsessive compulsive thing instead of a phobia. Just cant call anyone for some reason unless its their cellphone and Im sure theyll answer it.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I just remembered this one, I dont know its scientific term but Ill just call it ghostphobia. I dont fear ghosts as in theyll kill me, take me away, or whatever but theres just something I dont like about a being that I cant kill. This usually occurs when Im up late and everyone is asleep, Ill be watching a show about urban legends and I cant help but feel that theres always going to be something waiting for me in a dark room, or staring in at me through a window. This is probably rooted back when my sister or my mother told me many scary stories with graphic pictures in the book, and one particular picture of a lady coming in through a door always stayed with me. Not so bad now but I have certain nights when I anticipate an unwanted guest.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
My phobias....

1.Spiders
Dont like any of them,big or small.

2.Flying
I dont like the idea of flying.
A car breakes,you can pull over.
A Plane breaks,you crash

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Nelophobia- Fear of glass.
Numerophobia- Fear of numbers.
Nyctohylophobia- Fear of dark wooded areas or of forests at night
Myxophobia- Fear of slime. (Blennophobia)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join