It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bands with the best hooks?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I was listening to Collective Soul this morning and I realized that this band's songs always have great hooks. It's something about the guitar and the melodies that just draws you in everytime. It's an art I believe.

Some other great hookmeisters IMO are:

Three Doors Down
Boston
Alice in Chains
Stone Temple Pilots
Alan Parsons Project
Ozzy

What bands have the best hooks IYO?

Peace

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Pearl Jam- "Do The Evolution"-That song kicks my ass, everytime.

Metallica- Enter Sandman (Though, I don't like Metallica, anymore.)

Foo Fighters - Lots of great catchy songs

Queens of The Stone age - Fun to listen to

Nirvana - (C'mon it's Nirvana!) Lots of great, "stick in your head", songs.

Rage Aganist The Machine

And, The White Stripes

Alice In Chains = One of my favorite bands.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
knocking on heaven's door -bob marley and g'n'r version are my favs

the clash's coka cola

blur - stereotypes

weezer- say it ain't so, buddy holly, the sweater song, dopenose, el scorcho, tired of sex, and pink triangle

twisted sister - we're not going to take it

beatles and rollings stones songs too...

this is all so foofy compared to your guys' skid songs.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I've always considered hooks to be particular to songs rather than bands. Hooks are what makes a song instantly memorable and listenable, and some of the most memorable songs are one offs for the band concerned.

To try and answer the question without listing my favorite bands, I think it would be close to imposible to match The Beatles for the volume of hook laden instant classics they produced.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Polyphonic Spree
Primal Scream
Beach Boys
Cop Shoot Cop
Love & Rockets
Chris & Cosey
Loop Guru
Fun^Da^Mental
Swans (just kidding)
Shihad
Massive Attack

to name but a few

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paul
To try and answer the question without listing my favorite bands, I think it would be close to imposible to match The Beatles for the volume of hook laden instant classics they produced.

Can't disagree there. They had great harmony. She Loves you was my favorite of their "hook laden" early songs. That's how they changed the face of music I guess.

Peace

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
It's strange to me that so many people like Alice In Chains. I saw them on their first tour (Clash of the Titans) when they opened for Anthrax/Megadeth/Slayer and the singer was the most boring performer ever. There was no energy whatsoever.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   

It's strange to me that so many people like Alice In Chains. I saw them on their first tour (Clash of the Titans) when they opened for Anthrax/Megadeth/Slayer and the singer was the most boring performer ever. There was no energy whatsoever.

Alice In Chains was a hard band to get into for me, but once I got passed Layne's vocals, I understood just how awesome of a band they are(were)!

Layne can do wonders with his voice, but no energy? I can see where you are coming from, since he was a verry depressed person and an addict. Who died from overdose.

And the first album I heard by them, was "Alice In Chains: Live" which I did not like at first. But after listening all their albums, I now realize how awesome the live album was.

[edit on 8-9-2005 by Useful 1diot]

new topics

top topics

join