It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our First PODcast-Only Political Debate Tournament

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
That's right, we're kicking of the PTS PODcasts with a PODcast-only political debate tournament.

We need four members with the ability to create MP3 files and a passion to debate political topics.

There will be two rounds in this tournament, with prizes awarded. The winners of the first round will receive snazzy PTS T-Shirts, and the winner of the final debate will win an Apple iPod shuffle!

Just let me know via U2U if you're capable of participating. If we receive more than 4 entries, the four participants will be selected by random drawing.

So polish off your best Bob Novak attitude, dust of your microphone, fire up your audio software, and get ready to rumble PTS-style.

(I will be moderating this special event PTS debate.)

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I wish I was more into Politics than I m. I'm sure i'd do good if the Topic was a strongsuit of mine, but looks like I'll have to sit back and Listen the Debate.

Edit* There, are you happy now Prophet?

[edit on 31-8-2005 by DarkHelmet]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
I wish I was more into Polotics than I m. I'm sure i'd do good if the Topic was a strongsuit of mine, but looks like I'll have to sit back and watch the Debate.

You mean LISTENING... watching an ATS debate is so... yesterday.

Don't mind me... I'm just wired on coffee... can't wait for the Podcasts! This is truely a techological step forward! Kudos, SO and crew!

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   
u2u sent

even if I dont get in on this............ this will be fantastic. a debate in real time........ well almost!

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
WOW.

Kudos to all the team. I won't be entering, but i look forward to listening.

Sanc'.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Awesome, I sent you a reply skeptic. I've been waiting for a debate and I think some heads here know that. I make MP3s on my computer using Cakewalk and the quality is high and the size is low.

I am so into this and hope I get in!

PODBATES COMMENCE!

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Love the idea, If I wasnt overwhealmed with my last minute moving, I'd be all for it !...

hhmmm... whats a shuffle ? I know what a Ipod is, but i dotn knwo what you mean shuffle ?? is that another another name for the same portable device ?

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaastetNoir
hhmmm... whats a shuffle ? I know what a Ipod is, but i dotn knwo what you mean shuffle ?? is that another another name for the same portable device ?

This is the iPod...

This is the iPod Shuffle...

Visit www.apple.com... for more details.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Does anyone have a free piece of softwear that will allow me to record these and upload them?

I'd love to get involved in it, however I at the moment do not have the programs to be able too.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
For recording:
audacity.sourceforge.net...
And Audacity needs this to be able to compress MP3's
lame.sourceforge.net...

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I saw some mention of the iPod Shuffle. If someone wants they could also get the PodShirt.

podshirt.com...

Note to self: How DO you find this stuff Zedd?

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Podlitical Rancor

If I had any idea what I stood for, I would be all over this.

Actually I suspect, as with most debates, contestants may well end up being required to argue for positions they don't believe in.

Best of luck to whomever ends up in the running, and I'll be looking forward to hearing the soothing sound of politics in PODspace.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Might I ask a few questions?

1) What will the format for the debate be?

2) What topic(s) are planned?

3) When is the registration deadline?

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Heh - this is why debating is never a subject in scientific or engineering schools.
It's really quite pointless - two people (or teams) by the very definition of the term having an argument of over anything in order to win.
pppppfhhhhh...leave it to the politicians..even for a Toshiba 5200rpm laptop hardisk wrapped in advertising.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I debated on my high school debate team for 2 years and thouroughly enjoyed it. Yes it's true you have to be able to debate the affirmative or negative side of an issue but it's a very good skill to be able to look at both sides and be able to win a debate arguing the side you personally feel least inclined towards.

The point is to be able to use language in a way that is logical. Words are used to debate, but bringing "aural reasoning" into the format via podcasts will truly be an interesting experiment in online community building!

Good show on getting it up and running ATS Team!

idebates

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The participants will be announced in my next podcast.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Does anyone have a free piece of softwear that will allow me to record these and upload them?

I'd love to get involved in it, however I at the moment do not have the programs to be able too.

If you have WinAmp, go to their website and get the plug-in " Lame MP3 writter plu-in V1.6.3"..thats what I use to record w/ Mic, and it work pretty good.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
oooh looking foreward to this!

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
We've had a couple last-minute withdrawls (due to schedule) as well as lack of response when trying to confirm participants.

We need one more confirmed participant for a 2-round debate. And four more if we want to run three rounds.

I'll reopen requests to participate right now, and keep it open for the next 12 hours.

Requirements:

You must have 200 or more posts on ATS/BTS/PTS
You must be able to general MP3 files for the podcast feeds
You must be ready to begin Wednesday, and be able to respond with a podcast within 36 hours
You should be ready for at least a two week cycle (worst case)

U2U me if you're able and want to participate.

Grand prize for the winner:

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
That is very cool Skeptic! It's amazing what all can be done on ATS.

new topics

top topics

join