It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twelve Monkeys

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Super viruses are being kept in labs all over the United States and Russia.

Tiny small amount can wipe out everything from Boston to Alabama.

These are more deadly than nukes.

Can you imagine when a sad employee working in one of these high security labs decides to make himself famous.

One day maybe he has a bad with his girl, or his pay cheque arrives late and this makes him super pissed.... WHATEVER.

He can even sell the stuff !!!

Anything is possible. Can we really trust him not to become Norman Bates ?

Sad soul can lose it pretty fast. Such a person is a danger to all and needs to be watched.

Can we really believe that these labs are fully secure?

What security can be effective before a suicide bomber?

These labs have to close. We dont need scientists messing with biological germs.

Watch the Twelve Monkeys again.

Scary stuff boys.

[edit on 26-8-2005 by mr conspiracy]

[edit on 26-8-2005 by asala]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I grew up near the top military bio-lab in the states, Fort Deitrich. I never worked there, but knew a lot of people who have. Trust me, its not like you can just smuggle anything out. Nor should you worry about a leak, they have some fancy self destruct stuff from what the lead comp tech said. (implied something like a massive thermite bomb, but wouldn't be specific.)

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
come on man, the psycho can smuggle it out by various means.

he can use the air vent.

or he can inhale it knowing he would also die.

when he walks out, he can infect the entire subway. we wont know until half the city is coughing blood by 6 o clock news.

once a guy is willing to die and take others with him, there is no stopping him.

only way is to shut down those labs. i mean why the hell do we have them anyway ?

I just dont know. its crazy.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
From what I've read from books like The Demon in the Freezer and The Hot Zone (Richard Preston), The Coming Plague (Laurie Garrett) and Biohazard (Ken Alibek) it wouldn't be at all easy to smuggle something out.
But yes, intentional contamination would possibly work - though first the psycho in question would need to have an assignment to work with whatever hazardous material he (or she) would want to infect himself with.

And it would be far easier to do in Russia than in USA, since the russians have infected their own population in the past due to carelessness.

I'd rather have known laboratories messing with the stuff than "black" laboratories doing the same. At least in current situation we have some controls in place just to prevent the scenario you've described.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I loved the Twelve Monkeys scenario and pattern that it suggested. I like the part of the bloke who takes out his teeth so he hasn't implants anymore - so Philip Dick.
The envoirenmental aganda where the animal rightists do the world in with biowarfare is partly based around the old ALF and the Earth First Deep Earth Ecology Movements. That is we as humans have lesser rights than animals as we exploit them in a speciest way.
A not very likely scenario but I can see some terrorist using this as a modus operandi for their jihads. In a Post Nuclear Post Modern context it seems highly likely that too many people turn down this avenue of Jihad. Of course the irony of all ironies at the end is that the animals have taken over, this implies that we as humans as a race that is supposed to be evolved act little more than social animals and act as packs and tribes, now that is highly sad until we do something about it.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
forget a psycho taking something out. what about simple stupidity and accidents?

read lab 257. It's about Plum Island off the coast of Long Island. Gov't facility which some blame the spread of lyme disease and west nile virus on.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Well yeah remember Chernobyl that was an awful accident. Bhopal was no god send either, and that was an Union Carbide accident. We need adequate security around these places, more publicity as well to stop people thinking they are upto something We need adequate engineers to check these places and the health and safety of these places. Too much stupidity around.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Even though I don't trust containment/personel at the US bio labs; remember the anthrax scare after 911? The smaller countries that may feel threatened are the real wild card. Everyone has bio/warfare labs. Personally I am much more frightened of biological agents than nukes.

Suitcase nukes are crude and ineffective compared to vial of mitotoxin, riacin, anthrax, or other mutated diseases; plus when it's all over; no damage except for the loss of life. Diseases can be designed to mutate into ineffectiveness after a certain period.

What did the 40 dead microbiologist know? If you are looking for a conspiracy to become obsessive over; this is it.

Have a nice day!!

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
There has been much controversy and not enough specifics about those 40 dead microbiologists. This has been a topic in the recent past, but nothing ever came from it.

I would be more than willing to give extra points and permanent "scholar" to a research team, that can finish this potential project in it's entirety, if they can finish before another research project. Which honestly, can't be too hard considering very few of the scholars are actually doing anything.

Serious inquiries only, this isn't going to be a typical study, and might prove to be just as touchy as the OARP.

Any and all takers, please contact me via u2u with details.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I got offered a job (after taking entrance exams and passing with flying colours) as an apprentice in designing and testing experimental weaponry...
This was at DERA Boscombe down, as it doesn't narrow down where I live at all.
Luckily (and sadly as I would be be better off) I was young at the time and wanted to stay in my crappy job in my home town with my mates.. *twitch*

And that is actually true.

But in all fairness, they do make sure everyone is 'sane' and I suspect that if you had mental problems they would monitor you closely and watch your behaviour. You have to have a medical and they have psycological assessments, I believe that is standard in anything military orientated.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I don't know how you could pass any exams if you think that Hugo Weaving is British.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Winchester Ranger T
I don't know how you could pass any exams if you think that Hugo Weaving is British.

It is entirely possible that his surname is Smith, so he thought he would use the picture.

Hugo Weaving is indeed a crazy Australian. It is strange to watch him in 'Priscilla, Queen of the desert' and then in 'Lord Of The Rings' or 'The Matrix'.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Don't want to hijack the thread but.....if anyone can correctly identify the revolver that Bruce Willis used in the final scenes of the movie, you'll really impress me.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
There has been much controversy and not enough specifics about those 40 dead microbiologists. This has been a topic in the recent past, but nothing ever came from it.

Status update:

There are far more than 40 scientists who have died in unusual circumstances; this is proving to be utterly intriguing! The biggest problem I'm having is accessing "unknown" causes of death, where the final reports are either not yet released, or yield no definitive answers.

I'm still collecting data; collation will take some time after this is completed, so I'm not sure when a final report would be ready.

I'll keep y'all informed.

(which sounds utterly ridiculous with a British accent, let me tell you)

[edit on 29-8-2005 by Tinkleflower]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
As for the self infect and walk out smuggling idea, tell that to the 3 guys who are sealed up in the modified anthrax lab in Fort D.

One little puncture of your suit, attempt to infect yourself, or any kind of exposure and next thing you know you are sealed in a atom tight chamber for eternity...which of course is then promptly covered in concrete and left to sit.

The people who live around and work there are FAR more concerned about it than most the world, and things have been set in place for year to make sure nothing gets out. There are layers and layers of security and automatic containment procedures from what I've gathered.

This of course is in the states, and as said, the real worry is other countries with lesser security.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
the only way out I think is to develop a potent yet safe vaccine against the virus and make it a part of the Immunisation schdule

I dont think dostroying the labs is a good idea ....specially when you have enemies (For The Reds US and for the yanks Russia )that too have same weapon ........moreover Destroying a VIRUS is not that easy in many cases had it been so AIDS would have been eradicated by now

so I see developing a Vaccine and routine vaccination is the only way out of this catastrophy

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by prelude
the only way out I think is to develop a potent yet safe vaccine against the virus and make it a part of the Immunisation schdule

The general public aren't too fond of compulsory vaccination programs as it is....that's assuming an effective vaccine could even be found, and that's just talking about more mundane illnesses.

And presumably, if one was discovered, the virus would suspiciously (or naturally) simply mutate into something bigger, badder and much stronger.

Such is life.

Edit: sorry if this has already been said..but...

It's really not easy to smuggle anything out of your average lab of that nature. It would be very, very difficult for Joe UpsetHusbandWithGrudge to simply decide one day to up and leave with a few vials of UberNastyItis in his pockets.

It's just not that easy to get into (let alone out of....) labs of this nature.

Ask me about the smallpox vaccine debacle in the period after 9/11....

(I worked for one of the manufacturing companies of said vaccine).

[edit on 29-8-2005 by Tinkleflower]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

The general public aren't too fond of compulsory vaccination programs as it is....that's assuming an effective vaccine could even be found, and that's just talking about more mundane illnesses.

Sometimes you dont have options like "I dont like it " ,in other words beggars(for life) are not seekers .....

And presumably, if one was discovered, the virus would suspiciously (or naturally) simply mutate into something bigger, badder and much stronger.

there are good chances that such mutations may occur ......so what? we have to develop beteer vaccines.... and so will the struggle continue

Look at the bacterial antibiotic resistance .....Straphyllococcus Aureous (the bacterium that is responsible for 90% of human abcesses ) have developed resistance to Penicillin as well as Methicillin(MRSA) some of them have even developed resistance to Vancomycin ...so have we stopped developing antibiotics? NO........we have developed Linezolid instead .....If we want to survive we need to be the "fittest" in this struggle for exsistance .

One strategy that can prevent an epidemic is to Keep only those viruses in your bio labs for which you have developed vaccines .

I dont see any alternative to mass immunisation inspite of its side effects

[edit on 29-8-2005 by prelude]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I'm not exactly anti-vaccination either; there are many instances where it really is the only viable option to keeping a population safe.

Of course that assumes that you can actually convince the population that it's necessary.

I'm not so sure about that strategy though; if you don't have a virus to work with, how can you even try to develop a vaccine?

Whilst I understand the dangers of keeping those nastier viruses in check, it's also important to at least keep trying to find an answer; if we're only going to stock those to which we have an antiviral or vaccine available, we're going to leave ourselves open to some bigger problems, surely?

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Of course that assumes that you can actually convince the population that it's necessary.

as I said earlier beggars are not seekers

I'm not so sure about that strategy though; if you don't have a virus to work with, how can you even [try to develop a vaccine?

That is possible by genetic engineering ...any pathogen(eg bacteria virus) has two properties antigenicity(ability to attack the body) and Immunogenicity(ability to provoke an immune response ) ...now by genetic engineering you can manipulate to develop the immunogenicity of the virus first (and there by keeping the doors for developing vaccine open) and then develop the antigenicity (in a way so that you know the secret of destroying it ).....eg the antigenicity of tetanus toxin is destroyed by formaline but the immunogenicity is retained while developing the Tetanus Toxoid (You must b knowing this better than me since you have worked in a vaccine lab).....

Whilst I understand the dangers of keeping those nastier viruses in check, it's also important to at least keep trying to find an answer; if we're only going to stock those to which we have an antiviral or vaccine available, we're going to leave ourselves open to some bigger problems, surely?

can u please elaborate? i didnt get you ....

(i m sorry for any spelling mistakes in the technical terms ...i have read all these in Russian not in English )

top topics

<<   2 >>

join