It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: World Watches as China-Russia War Games Under Way

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Russia and China have began their first war exercise together. Dubbed 'Peace Mission 2005' they are starting 8 days of exercises over land, water and air. There has never been anything like this before for the two countries. Although the exercise is said to be 'peaceful' and not against a specific enemy or country, there are many who are worried that Russia-China may be hinting at countering US dominance.

news.bbc.co.uk
The Russian and Chinese armed forces have begun their first joint military exercises.

Marines will storm beaches and paratroopers will descend in a mock invasion of an imaginary country.

The eight-day operation got underway with consultations between military delegations from the two countries in Vladivostok, in Russia's far east.

Analysts say China and Russia are signalling they are prepared to counter US dominance in international affairs.

The Russian and Chinese military exercises starting this week are clearly a significant step for both countries.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is interesting for a lot of reasons. Getting those two nations together could be the start of an alliance that is so powerful it makes the head spin. What are your comments on this exercise? Do you think it is an indirect threat?

[edit on 18-8-2005 by nikelbee]

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I remember a Friend of mine that was living in Taiwan for six months told me, that once the Chinese had an Exercise on an island few miles away from Taiwan - an Airborne Invasion. She said that Paratroopers were falling from the sky all damn day....

All I can say is, that this is going to be probably the BIGGEST Military Exercise Ever!

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Well folks here they go. First Communist/Non Communist War Games. This is a game the free world Military will no doubt be watching inch by inch.
I say Russia by a nose! Seriously though this little exercise could be very significant for all the free world..

Dallas

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
The only problem is if they're actually attacking us, I doubt the U.S. nor Britain be willing to go rescue them when they get in a bit a trouble...

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 03:26 AM
link   
This is undoubtedly worrying. Although it is just an exercise, the name made my spine shiver a little. 'Peace Mission 2005'? Also it will be a very thorough week combining land, sea and air. Anyone else worried about the precedence of this exercise between the top two powers that are actually capable of scaring the US?

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Who do you think stands to benefit from this exercise? The 'former' superpower Russia or the soon to be China?

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 04:55 AM
link   
nikelbee,

I think Both!

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Sorry my typo - I mean to say who benefits most from this.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Perhap's the only real War game there might be how Russia can control their nukes security and not lose some to the Nut Balls of the terror variety.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
It will be an interesting exercise to follow over the next few days and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that. The US has turned down the option of having an observer on site. Perhaps they don't want to seem 'too' overly interested?

A total of 10,000 troops will be taking part. 1800 of them Russian.

While there is no denying the two countries are closer than they used to be, by all reports it is said that this is no honeymoon between China and Russia.

I think this is your typical older man going through midlife crisis (Russia) and hooking up with the nubile younger woman with the big chest (that China is so hot right now). Russia is currently taking China out in its snazzy red sportscar.

Russia wants to prove they still have it, China wants to flaunt it.

Hey, who says allies have to love one another to be happy together?

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The real question is: will they field the high-tech, top end equipment or more middle ground equipment?

Iraq has showed the Chinese what American can do.
Will they now return the favour?

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Don't know, but a lot of posturing, flirting and signalling going on. I think China is 'growing up' quite quickly and is eager to show what it has.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I see China has duped Russia into playing games so they can learn their tactics for their future invasion of Russia.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
maybe they are teaming up to Take on the World. I think both are in bed with countries that we'd least expect. Time will tell. Seperately they are just super powers, but together..........they could cause some trouble!

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I don't see the Chinese ever becoming "ingrained" with russia...
they are just way too far apart. They were far apart even when both were communist...

Russia, run by the very liberal mob...
Chinese run by the very conservative communist party...

one wants sin,
the other wants pious...

the two will never meet for more than tea and wargames...

cjf

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Both countries will naturally benefit as the relations continue to strengthen. Specifically in this case, the Russian arms business (which sells internationally and US$2+Bil annually alone to China) as well as China’s own robust international arms sales will continue to strengthen considering the invited presence of Iran, India and Pakistan as guest observers (aka mutual clients).

Add all this including the other remaining members of the (SCO) Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan (aka the ‘Stans’) and it could be quite an arms exhibition not to mention an interesting international ‘dog and pony’ show.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Anyone see Red Dawn.

This is an excellent chance for the both sides to see the strength that they could exude in a conflict. It is also a great way to have an 'International Arms fair' and invite only your futrue allies. Iran is there, and there are scientists from both countries in Iran.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I say lets get it on before they have another chance at practicing fighting along side each other. Truthfully If the worst came to worst and they did Join to come at us then we would circle the wagons bring every single last bit of military resources back to the States and see if they really can penitrate the strongest Military in the world playing D-Fence. Then we would do an offensive in conventional War style (Our bread and butter) Then we would have Ronald McDonald take our McDonalds away from them. There is no way they would survive.
We should take our influence out of the entire world anyways. Tell China and Russia nobody gets Walmart or McDonalds back until they stop talking. Whats that Putin you can't live without Bed Bath and Beyond..well tell china to stick it.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Timcouchfanclub, China just wants America out of their region so they can be the Asia Police.

If they withdraw like that, the Chinese won't attack nor would the Russian's they are not foolish. Instead no more American presense in the region = easy picking for Russia and China, especailly in the Middle East.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikelbee
Who do you think stands to benefit from this exercise? The 'former' superpower Russia or the soon to be China?

I say the U.S. and NATO benefit greatly. While this may seem concerning, from an intellegence stand point it's almost invaluable. Every tactic, every communication, every order, every little move will be carefully scrutinized by the intel people. China might as well just ask our military people to come observe because they are going to be watching it very closely anyway.

The real deal is that China's been arming itself to the teeth with Russian equipment, the war game is probably more like test driving a car than combat training. If the Russian's want to keep that lucrative partnership going then they have to show the Chinese that the equipment works.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join