It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Idea to Solve the Illegal Immigration Problem

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
It may seem controversial at first, but give it some time and then let's have a discussion.

This came to me after hearing that public opinion polls in several latin american countries have shown that over half of their citizens would move to the U.S. if given the chance. Some of these countries already use the U.S. dollar as their own legal currency.

Now, the reason these numbers are so high is that their own governments can't or won't do what is necessary to end corruption and build the necessary infrastructure that would allow these people to have the better life they are seeking in the U.S. in their own countries.

My proposal is that a public referendum (election) monitored by the UN be held in all the latin american countries to have the U.S. take over the administration of these countries. If the vote is, let's say, > 60% in favor, then U.S. administrators come in to start running the local governments to make them places where their citizens want to live.

An alternate thought would be for each country to cede to the U.S. a percentage of their territory equal to the percentage of votes in favor. The end result of this might turn out to be the same as the original idea if most of the people tried to move to the U.S. controlled area.

As I said this may seem controversial, but it also might just be a win-win situation for all. These people would get to stay in their own countries and keep their own cultures (minus the corruption, of course).

Let's try and have a positive discussion on this, OK?

Thoughts?

[edit on 8/17/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Or..... we could mount motion detecting mini-guns every 200 yards, along the border.

[edit on 17-8-2005 by C0le]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
It seems to me that attempting to rid those areas corruption, while simultaneously building the infrastructure they would require to stay home might be a be a bit more than we are capable of. I think it would be much more cost effective to just let them keep the southern half of the United States.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
That's an interesting solution.

My question is do you feel that the majority of the American public would take issue with the UN being involved?

It seems that many people here at ATS feel they couldn't organize and run a bake sale, let alone something of this magnitude.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
It seems that many people here at ATS feel they couldn't organize and run a bake sale, let alone something of this magnitude.

LMFAO!! Duz

My solution is to have all the 18-35 year illegal immigrants join the armed services and send them off to Iraq. This way we would have the troops we need. They serve 2-4 years, then when they come back we will give them legal status for serving our country. It would also help them financailly by giving them a legal paycheck and benefits for thier families.

Then we would have more American born troops available to man our own borders.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
In short you are advocating an American Empire in Latin America.

This is a very good idea, the idea of using Americas power to improve lives rather than blow them off the face of the Earth is a very good one.

It would require alot of time (decades) and a huge amount of effort, though this could be recouped in profits made by the newbusiness that would have to be created.

The main problem here would be that of representation, would these nations maintain their own government, under US supervision (an informal Empire) just be dominated by the US (conventional Empire) or would these nations be divided into staes, and these states represented in Congress and the House of Representatives?

Would the USA be willing to take on a massive demographic shift?
Or would this just be a conventional Liberal Empire?

For an excellent account of Americas power and imperial ambitions at the moment try reading Colossus by Nial Ferguson.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
Or..... we could mount motion detecting mini-guns every 200 yards, along the border.

I'm with this guy.

We just need better border control.

[edit on 17-8-2005 by noise]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe
In short you are advocating an American Empire in Latin America.

No, I was actually thinking it might end up more along the lines of the British Commonwealth after these countries were up and running successfully.

[edit on 8/17/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Fair enough, but before we had the Commonwealth there was Empire, i think that for your plan to come into effect a certain amount of Imperialism would have to be practised by the US.

Perhaps Iraq should be the practise ground for this.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I'm sure some would see it that way (and scream to high heaven), but I would hope the U.S. would continue its practice of returning freed/rebuilt countries to their own sovereignty as soon as possible.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
If they voted for it then i cant see how they would compain.

Though its possible that some extremists would carry out minor, IRA style terroism.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by noise

Originally posted by C0le

I'm with this guy.

We just need better border control.

[edit on 17-8-2005 by noise]

yes we need that, but we also need to look at the big picture.

must they be american appointed figures to go over and run their government or people of any walk of life who have the experience to organized and influence a community/city/state etc... so it's not obvious that it's just the U.S. coming to your town and taking over.

i see it as having an outside consultant which in essence is a great thing because they bring experience but in many cases they can be out for their own agenda and what pretty much motivates anyone which is $$$. if you can bring some strand-up individuals who are perceived by the public as so, i'd encourage this idea also

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I am all for helping out Latin American countries.
You are supposed to help your neighbors, but helping your neighbors does not mean helping yourself to their territory, or their resources. This was already tried by American big business in ally with their buddies the CIA. Yes, by all means HELP LATIN AMERICA. Do it with no strings attached. Make their economies so prosperous that they WANT TO STAY HOME.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
For the amount of money they are robbing our communities in the form of foodstamps and other help .A BUS TICKET back to mexico has got to be cheaper

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MauiStacey

Originally posted by Duzey

LMFAO!! Duz

My solution is to have all the 18-35 year illegal immigrants join the armed services and send them off to Iraq. This way we would have the troops we need. They serve 2-4 years, then when they come back we will give them legal status for serving our country. It would also help them financailly by giving them a legal paycheck and benefits for thier families.

Then we would have more American born troops available to man our own borders.

I Agree with this idea. That way the people have to serve the country and in return we get a stronger army.

Granted this does noithing for the unemployment numbers we have now.

MI is realy bad right now in the unemployment department. it took me over 2 years to find a job. and it a midnigt stock job.

Sorry about going off topic a little, but it's an important fact in this equasion.
And yeah the spelling sucks

Zintac

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
From a UK point of view:
I think it would be better if all immigrants had to have some sort of national service, rather than the current situation because it would keep the 'in house' population down and they would actually earn a right to live here.
Even racist people may have to actually admit that they have done something for us and deserve to be here, instead of freeloading our goodwill at our expense. And they might learn some skills to sort out the problems in the country's they come from instead of having to rely on us to sort it out for them.
I know that when I was younger and I couldn't be bothered because I had been through hardship, people let me sleep on the couch for a while but soon got fed up when I couldn't be bothered to do anything other than feel sorry for myself.
It's not until I started helping myself and others that anyone started to care and it wasn't until then I deserved it. Nothing in this life is free and anyone that abuses other people's kindness (as I did once) doesn't deserve it.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Genetic Specific Ebola Virus

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadcatsrule
For the amount of money they are robbing our communities in the form of foodstamps and other help .A BUS TICKET back to mexico has got to be cheaper

The vast majority of US states prevent illegal immigrants from obtaining food stamps for themselves.

If they have any citizen children, then that child is entitled to help - as is any other citizen.

[edit on 17-8-2005 by Tinkleflower]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
If they have any citizen children, then that child is entitled to help - as is any other citizen.

There's part of the problem. They come here illegally and start pumping out children that are automatically citizens.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
It's allright fro you, our puny island has about 60,000,000 living on it compared to about 30,000,000 (I think?) in the whole of Canada.
Even New Zealand has only a population of about 8,000,000.

This country is bursting, the resources are drained and the idea that we were practically in charge of the whole world at one point is laughable. I'm all for helping people, but not when it makes us into the mess we are now.
We can barely support our own let alone all these new people and their offspring.

A few years back, me, my ex and a mate were thown out of a place we were living in on orders of our government to make way for some immigrants that had just arrived.
We were out on the pavement with our stuff with nowhere to go while the vans turned up with food and clothes and a couple of buses full of 'asylum seekers' piled into what was our home.

So that's one of the reasons I get a bit twitchy, when OUR government made US homeless to make way for asylum seekers. SO sorry if my views may seem a bit extreme.
Yes it WAS like that, I'm not exaggerating and this was in England.

[edit on 17-8-2005 by AgentSmith]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join