It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

viewing applauded posts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Often I look at the 'recent applaud' section and then try to find what had earned the applause for the poster. Is there a method I'm unaware of or is it impossible unless you happen to be viewing the thread?

Being able to view the post could be a valuable lesson to other posters.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Agreed.
This can be accomplished, as it is for viewing a member's red-flag warns, by clicking on the name listed in the recent applause area.
Having such an ability would indeed be invaluable to new members, as well as regular members.

Not sure what or how much coding would have to be done, but this is a feasible idea and worthy of review, IMHO. Time will only tell.

seekerof

[edit on 14-8-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Often I look at the 'recent applaud' section and then try to find what had earned the applause for the poster. Is there a method I'm unaware of or is it impossible unless you happen to be viewing the thread?

Being able to view the post could be a valuable lesson to other posters.

This has been discussed extensively in DISC, and the bottom line is that on the surface it appears to be a good idea, but upon closer inspection, can only lead to undo drama. The first time someone disagrees with an "applauded" post, we'll have Shakespeare at ATS. I would submit that by reading quality posts, and eventually receiving an "applause" for the same, members will become familiar with what warrants ATS Staff recognition...

DISC Monkeys, not just ATS's designated driver anymore...

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   

as posted by Mirthful Me
I would submit that by reading quality posts, and eventually receiving an "applause" for the same, members will become familiar with what warrants ATS Staff recognition...

Agreed MM, but is not being able to see those applauded ATS Staff recognized quality posts at the heart of this idea or concept, excluding the drama factor?

seekerof

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Knowing that the DISC monkeys have thoroughly discussed this idea tells me that, at the very least, it was a good question and not a waste of bandwidth.
My usual method is to pull up the posters name and go through recent posts in order to locate the one which might have prompted it, but I found this to be really time consuming.

If the reason for not supporting such an ability is the fear of a Shakespearian drama...then so be it and I concur to your better judgements.

"bubble bubble, toil yadayadas"

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
The first time someone disagrees with an "applauded" post, we'll have Shakespeare at ATS.

That's just conceding defeat to the drama queens!

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
but is not being able to see those applauded ATS Staff recognized quality posts at the heart of this idea or concept, excluding the drama factor?

The member receiving the "applause" knows which post garnered the recognition, it's part of the u2u they receive announcing the "applause."

Due to the often contentious nature of ATS, an applauded post may contain replies that specifically refute the posts of another member, hence the likelihood of drama should the "applause" become easily accessible. It's a delicate balance to be sure, and the juxtaposition of an open discussion board, versus the need to minimize board drama is not taken lightly... As you well know.

Drama Monkeys, not just for the school play anymore...

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Well said, MM.
Now why is it that I cannot applaud you?

Appreciate the reply.

seekerof

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I suppose someone could always u2u They're Here, for instance, and ask why there are 5 recent applause mentions awarded.

But that would be intrusive and I wouldn't want that happening to me if I got one.

I did get one once...just after joining.

I'm not griping about that, either...I've seen what some members are capable of producing in the way of quality posts and I hope I'm up to those standards someday myself.

I'll keep working on that.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Now why is it that I cannot applaud you?

Appreciate the reply.

I would think that any member reading my posts would give a standing ovation, but then I must admit a wee bit of bias in that regard.

As to your specific case, I can only assume it's a personal decision... Perhaps my prose is not to your taste, or there is some subtle flaw in my meter, diction, or syntax... No offense taken though, my offerings are provided sans remuneration, a simian trait to be sure.

Steinbeck Monkeys, not just for the Bananas Of Wrath anymore…

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
I suppose someone could always u2u They're Here, for instance, and ask why there are 5 recent applause mentions awarded.

I'm pretty sure Theyre Here is a test account used by SO to test code, so that's why that username got 5 applauses.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
MM, my comment was not meant in a derogatory way.
The reference to me not giving an applaud was that I was out of giving way aboves.
If I had one left, I would have given you one.

seekerof

[edit on 14-8-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Ah...lol so that's why I couldn't find anything on the board...
ok...I'll stop looking...thanks djo

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   

My comment was not meant in a derrogatory way.
The reference to me not giving an applaud was that I was out of giving way aboves.
If I had one left, I would have given you one.

As I said, no offense, and I'll take a pubic compliment over a private point award any day.

As I've said before... Points are pointless...

Applause Monkeys, not just for sitcom filler anymore...

top topics

join