It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

75th Ranger Officer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I was hoping you guys could help me out with something. I have aspirations to become an officer in the Army but I also want to serve in the 75th Ranger Regiment. Does anybody know how to join the 75th as an officer aka the steps you have to go through and also does anybody know how likely it is to become an officer in the 75th given you can pass all the physical requirements?

Also would a West Point grad have a better chance at joining the 75th as an officer than officers who have graduated elsewhere? Thanks for the help.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Why would you like to join the 75th regimente..? And to your question, I would believe that a normal recruiter could give you a great answear, at least a better than anybody from here..

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Your two best choices to acheive this is to go to West Point or ROTC. Else you will have to enlist and try to get picked up at Officer Cantidate School after you have been through all the training. That may be tough considering the amount of recruits that are in the rangers. Here are some things to do to maximize your chances of acheiving this goal.

1. GO TO COLLEGE (Your best and maybe only shot at being an officer)
2. I would do ROTC(I am biased having done 4yrs of AFROTC) You will get a better all around life experience.(Parties, booze, FUN...ect)
3. Get a 3.2gpa in college or better. Your degree doesn't matter unless you want to be a Doctor or Engineer. My buddy is a C-17 pilot and majored in Tourism(Whatever the hell that degree is).
4. Max out your Physical Tests.
5. Don't be afraid to fail. Take leadership postions and learn from them. Learn to become a good leader. The commander of that ROTC unit will like that and probably give you a good commanders rating(Key to success in ROTC)

-Show yourself to be a well rounded person and a good leader and you will get whatever you want in the military. Above all, the degree is most important!

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
... I would believe that a normal recruiter could give you a great answear, at least a better than anybody from here..

Ohh, Bubba. I don't know how things work in Finland, but the LAST thing you want to do here is rely on what a recruiter tells you.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
You can get a good answer here Link

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Thanks for the info Timcouchfanclub but do you think a West Point grad would have a greater probability to do what he wants than an ROTC grad would?

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
There are commisioned officers that go to Ranger school with aspirations of being a Ranger officer.

I have that if you go to Ranger school as an officer they will make it harder for you than everyone else since you are expected to be an officer in the Rangers and lead from the front. Good luck

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
A West Point Grad will have some special treatment when being assigned Jobs. But surprisingly not as much as you may think. There are so many Jobs that are set aside for Academy grads and so many set aside for ROTC. It is about even but less people go to West Point so you MAY have a better shot at getting want you want (Considering less people going for the same amount of Jobs). I just feel an Academy Grad doesn't make as good of a leader than ROTC grads ( No disrespect intended). When going to West Point you live, breath and eat military 24/7 for 4 years. I have seen guys come out of that and have trouble adapting to normal life. And when they find alcohol its all over(Not all are like this). I have also seen them have trouble communicating with enlisted because they don’t have diverse social skills…since they were around all that hazing and belittling people under them for 4 years. But if you don’t mind that stuff then do it. I don’t think I could have turned down an acceptance to an Academy. It’s a whole different level of prestige. Just remember you have to get the support from your local Representative. I f you have that you can probably go to any school in the country that you want. Good luck to you.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
YEAHRIGHT: You make an excellent point. BORM: do not believe everything that a recruiter tells you. It is numbers to them...they could care less who you are or how nice of a guy you are. The Army would tell a blind kid they could fly an Apache right now. The best way to get around this BS is to have a plan of were yo want to go and how you want to get there. A realistic plan. Then talkl to a recruiter and say I want to do this by doing this and this...ect. And dont settle for anything less. Also, to get a good plan go to a local college and see if they have an Army ROTC. Ask if you can setup a time to meet with a cadet NOT THE RECRUITER. Also talk to your local Representatives office and let them know that you are interested in doing West Point and that you want to know if there is anyone in the area that is going there or that did go there so you can talk to them and see if that is what you want. Talking to people that went to these things is so much more helpful than the recruiter. They won't feed you as much BS.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Rangers are in such high demand I don't think West Point would make any more of a difference, and you would miss out on ALOT of what college is all about. And Ranger Officer Candidates are treated no different in RIP, the Instructors treat enlisted and officer the same, the only difference is Ranger Leadership Courses which you will take IF you handle RIP, and thats a big if, nothing personal. All Special Operation Unit training programs handle their enlisted and officers the same, so the enlisted men know that those leading them are as dedicated soldiers as they are, not some cushy college graduate.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Also not everyone who earns the coveted Ranger tab serves in the 75th, many go back to their original units or other units. I forget the process of specifically joining the 75th and am to lazy to look for it right now, anyone know?

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Probrably the best way is to get distinguished when you do your Airborne training & other special training toward your Ranger tab while at Ft. Benning...and while there make a visit to the Comander & CSM of the 75th Rangers. Show them your credentials and have them keep you in mind for consideration for when you later get orders for a reassignment to Ft. Benning- which you may have the option of first station of choice anyway after your schooling (if you are lucky...). Then you simply revisit the Comander & CSM and have a letter of recomendation drawn up before you are required to report in to the inprocessing unit of Ft. Benning. Then when you inprocess to Ft. Benning you present your letter of intent & the 75th recomendation letter and...cross your fingers & hope the orders get cut to being assigned to the 75th... Having a military specialty that the unit needs or has a shortage of is a BIG help.
Good Luck!
T.S.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Ohh, Bubba. I don't know how things work in Finland, but the LAST thing you want to do here is rely on what a recruiter tells you.

Yes, well maybe it works different around here... In Finland the Army is so small, and they really try to give youa good job... In Amrica it's just too much propaganda...

ST6

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Officers attend ROP, not RIP.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Really, I thought RIP just stood for Ranger Indoctrination Program, what does ROP stand for, Ranger Officer Program? (Wow after typing this it seems like a very stupid question but humor me haha.)

Also I was always led to believe that besides the leadership courses it was the exact same program, are their any other differences?

[edit on 13-8-2005 by Baphomet79]

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
What is ROP exactly and when would you attend that?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
the cynic in me whispers :if you cannot figure out how to join by yourself , i doubt you will suceed .

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Borm

You must make sure you first choose one of the MOS that are accepted by the RR They only take certain MOS..Do not seek advice from a recruiter, I am a ten year Army veteran with three deployments to Afghanistan among other plaves as well and the 75th is our premier light infantry unit and is a very high speed and you must be very physically fit and mentally sharp. West point is a very nice to place to learn your trade, I got out as an E-7 so I dont now much about being an officer but served under excellent officers who know what it takes to be a leader and take care of their men. Have you considered trying for a SF contract? or even maybe trying to get in as a Warrant Officer?I did everything OSUT at Ft Benning(one station unit training) Boot camp first, then AIT, then airborne, then RIP and so on and so on but that was for enlisted folks, Im not sure how an officer does that, I did hear that if you attend the Point you do alot of your schools during the summers off.

Thats about all I can tell you but please weigh your decisions and think about them, you want to be an officer and thats commendable but you will be leading troops possibly one day into battle and you must be able to do that without fail because they will look to you for guidance and always seek the opinions of your seasoned NCO's, They will take care of you and vice versa, you are all a family.Best of luck with your endeavors and learn the Ranger Creed too because you will have to know it and live by it.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
If you have any further questions you can U2U me and I will try and help you out as much as I can......................

top topics

<<   2 >>

join