It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy 50th U-2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   

August 3, 2005 Fifty years ago this week the famous high altitude (70,000 ft, 21,000 m plus) U-2 spy plane made its first flight – since that time it has been one of the most consistent providers of critical intelligence information to the United States in peacetime and all phases of conflict. Developed with a reportedly unlimited budget supplied by the CIA, the plane was developed in record time by Lockheed Martin and in operation for four years providing continuous day and night, high-altitude, all-weather surveillance before the famous incident where US pilot Gary Powers was shot down over a Russian nuclear missile base in 1960 and tried as a spy.

Entire article

Simply amazing, both B-52 and U-2 are 50 years old.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Ah, but the Canberra is 56, so WE have the most ancient planes in service today

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I hear the Brits will still not admit to having pilots in the early U-2 proram.

Was stationed at RAF Alconbury when we received the first TR-1s.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ULTIMA1
I hear the Brits will still not admit to having pilots in the early U-2 proram.

Was stationed at RAF Alconbury when we received the first TR-1s.

Do you mean *you* yourself were at Alconbury? Do tell more;

Incidentally, in the early 1950's USAF B-45 Tornadoes regularly overflew Russia on spy missions in full RAF markings, despite the fact that the RAF never operated the B-45, what was all that about, anybody?

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Yes , tell us more if you can about the TR-1 at Alconbury.

RAF RB-45 see llink

www.afa.org...

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Well i heard that a person involved with the early program was writing a book about the U-2 program and was going to include the British pilots that were on loan for the proram but the British government would not give permission for the release of the names.

I was stationed at RAF Alconbury from 1981-1983. We were the first base to get the new version of the U-2, designated TR-1.
We had to shut down the origianl runway for a few weeks to have it widened to accomidate the wing wheels on the U-2/TR1s that came in.

Will try to post some pics of the old TR-1 facility if i can still find them.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Congratulations... The plane have came a long way and is still one of the best in it's ement...

[edit on 6-8-2005 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Here are some photos of the old RAF Alconbury TR-1 command and control center (Magic Mountain), Love that in the 80's still had rotary phones.

new topics

top topics

join