It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EARTH 2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Our solar system just got a little less special, to the delight of those hoping to find life elsewhere in the galaxy.

British astronomers say they found the first sun-like star with a giant gas planet in an orbit similar to Jupiter's, which leaves plenty of room for worlds like Earth and Mars.

The discovery "moves this star to No. 1 on the list" of places to look for a planet like Earth, said astrophysicist Hugh Jones of Liverpool John Moores University, who led the team that made the discovery.

The star is designated HD70642. The mass of its giant gas planet is about twice that of Jupiter, and the planet circles the star at a bit over 300 million miles out, which would place it between Mars and Jupiter were it in our own solar system.

Whats others thoughts on other earth like planets
Do you think there is a world just like ours?
Who live just as we do?

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 11:55 AM
link   
When i look at the galaxy and universe maps we're just starting to put together, i get the feeling the universe is one big chicago, and we've got a crappy duplex in the burbs.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Theres still no confirming that life exists there, but atleast its a start. Think of the vastness of our Universe and this system is probably one of many. I truly believe there would be some intelligent life somewhere.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Even if it turns out that this system is not able to harbor a terrestrial planet in a circular habitable zone orbit, it will still be significant in that it is close to being (our) solar system's clone.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 12:06 PM
link   
wonder how we will all react when we find out that there is life out there? do you think people react bad or good?

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Thats what i was thinking....Are you reading my mind Infinite

I just started a thread in aliens/ufo's about how we would react....

???WHO ARE YOU???? lol

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 12:17 PM
link   

wonder how we will all react when we find out that there is life out there? do you think people react bad or good?

I guess that really depends on their appearance and intentions, hmm???

If they look similar to us (bipedal, etc.) and say they are here to help, I guess I'd react pretty well...

If they look like one from Aliens, and want to eat me, my reaction would be a little different....

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 12:21 PM
link   
well if they look like ET, im sorry, i will have to kill a few because i hated the film ET. Now if there were the Aliens from Signs, that would be funny

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 12:40 PM
link   
just by the sheer amount of galaxies in the universe the law of averages says there has to be some kind of other extraterrestrial life. i dont believe that an earth type planet is needed to sustain life. it is need to sustain Human life, but we have no clue about what kind of things live in space and other parts of the universe. as for the aliens, im going to have to agree with gazrok. if these aliens looked like us and somehow communicated that they were of no danger, i probably would not kill them....probably, it is humans nature to destroy what they dont understand, and obviously we dont understand aliens. however, if there were made of some kind of very resistent material and their blood was some kind of acid that burned through every kind of metal humans have known, yes i believe i would not treat it too nicely. one more thing....

Infnite
well if they look like ET, im sorry, i will have to kill a few because i hated the film ET

good stuff because if ET came down to my house and wanted to chill out id have to smack him and throw him on the grill.

E.T.......its whats for dinner.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Why can't there be life on other planets? There is life on earth.

They know there are other galaxy's out there. They are getting more advanced in their research by the equipment they use. Everything changes.

There could be a planet just like ours. Maybe they have their own BIBLE also.
Any other life form would have to adapt to that planets air. If their civilized and survive well they had to get along by following their own laws.

I'm not scared of them.

Did they ever build that star wars? Didn't that serve a two fold purpose?
Wheres ALF? He would know the answer.

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Of course there's life on other planet's, I dont personally believe that we are the only living planet in this solar-system or any other either.

I can remember reading something years ago that there is a mirror Earth, (Doppleganger's - doubles) of us living normal lives just like we are, but are the total opposite of us as well. Sounds creepy but you just dont know whats out there ------ even if they did find something, do you honestly think they would tell us????

blackwidow

[Edited on 27-8-2003 by blackwidow666]

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I always thought Earth 2 was more or less a mirror image of our own earth, in an orbit position on the other side of the sun, invisible to us, and that it had the JSA fighting evil-doers there while we are protected by the JLA.

But the more earths the better, in my book. Good for ATS membership and reasonable conversations sometimes.

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I believe that life is far from some precious, rare "miracle" that only Earth was "blessed" with. To assume otherwise would be like claiming there are no other molecules, only because you live on one and are far too small to see the next one.

posted on Aug, 29 2003 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Do you think there is a world just like ours?

Of course I do...I mean, who does not.I think more than two thirds of members here belive in life on other planets. Me?...I think that the human race is cursed with stupidity. I think the aliens from other planets laugh at us because of how stupid we are...just my opinion though

[Edited on 8-30-2003 by theshadowknows]

posted on Aug, 29 2003 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Sometimes this seems a bit like wish fulfillment, we look around the universe trying find another place where life might be found.

But even if we did find it the distances are so phenomenally huge that chances of visiting or even sending probes or trying to communicate are zilch.

So if we find a place what do we do?

Nothing....

If beings CAN come to us would we want them to? Their tech would be 100's of years ahead of us, and they could easily exploit us.

We are living a fantasy if we think that finding a planet suitable for humans solves our problems, we have one, and in the foresable future its the only one we can use.

Heck we can't even send a probe to the NEXT planet with it being destroyed let alone the next star.

top topics

join