It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some Advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I'm entering my junior year in high school and I have an important decision to make. I want to join the Army and be a Ranger and then possibly Special Forces( I realize that's setting my sights pretty high) but i don't know whether to enlist or go to school to be an officer. I want to stay "operational" for as long as possible but I also want to keep my options wide open. Any advice on what you guys think I should do would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Take it from an Air Force dude and take the school route. If you are interested in the Army, try getting into a program that will let you study and earn your degree. It will pay off hugh in the long run. You may have to get down and get dirty, but that is the name of the game. Come to think of it, there is a program you can go into if you are in a good academic standing and or at least in the upper %5 of your Senior H/S Class. Check into it and Godspeed and Good luck

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Borm, the chances of the average recruit getting into ranger training and then graduating are pretty daunting; I believe somewhere in the vicinity of ten percent. And since Rangers and Special Forces people have different jobs, you'd probably be discouraged from geting into one and then another -- even if you had the physical, mental and willpower capabilities to do so.

If you want to make the military your career, you should leave high school with a minimum of a 3.2 GPA, having taken math through calc or pre-calc and science through physics.

If you're not in superb physical shape, now's the time to do so by exercising, eating properly, and quitting all drugs (especially nicotine and ethanol).

If you have the will power to do that, then you have the will power to make it as a elite unit member.

But I'd still recommend (as does my colleague Flyin High) to go to college, preferably in a college ROTC program, major in science or engineering, get your tuition paid, get a $250/month stipend, and get a commission when you graduate.

Then you might want to think about a particular military training option.

Remember, with a college degree and four years of leadership (which is what you'd have as an officer), you can step into a lot more civilian jobs -- if you decide not to make the military a career -- than you could with a resume which includes the stuff you learn as a ranger.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Well though i cant help you out...i would just like to say good luck and that i to am entering my junior year of high school and i also think about joining the military...

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
You need to consider that Ranger training is physically intensive. Take the college route first and then put in to be a officer. If you can get the Army to pay for the college then more power to you. If you happen to get hurt in training you still have an education to fall back on. Remember one thing what ever you do get it in writing. A recruiter's job is to get you to enlist not to look out for your best interests.

[edit on 3-8-2005 by JIMC5499]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
JIMC5499 says:

A recruiter's job is to get you to enlist not to look out for your best interests.

Good Ghod! How could I have forgotten the most important item of all??

Jim is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. Do not let a recruiter talk you into anything. Use whatever contacts you have (friends, teachers, parents, or anyone else) to put you in touch with an active duty servicemenber -- better yet, several of them -- and pick their brains.

These active duty people have nothing to gain by blowing in your ear and kissing you on the forehead; they will be much more honest than a recruiter might -- especially now, with enlistments down, and the recruiters scrambling to get as many warm bodies in Kevlars as possible.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
My junior year of high school I had it narrowed down to the Army or Navy until someone tried to kill the Army recruiter. It turns out that one of the Army recruiters was enlisting people under false pretenses. He was actually forging paperwork that gave people guarentees to training schools that they actually didn't have. The guy who tried to kill him thought that he was enlisting to become a heavy equipment mechanic and was actually assigned to the Infantry. After the investigation they ended up reviewing all of the enlistment contracts that he made and several people were able to get discharged or change careers. I ended up joining the Navy as a helicopter mechanic and aircrewman. If I could have been sure that I could trust the Army I would have been a Warrent Officer flying helicopters.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I personally would recommend going to school to be an officer rather than enlist because you'll probably be much happier with what you're doing... I know multiple people who have enlisted as well as multiple who have gone to school to be an officer, and I can definitely say that those who stayed in school to become officers are very glad they did... I know my boyfriend is considering going to school to be an officer in the Navy, but he hasn't actually made his decision yet, and he's going to be a senior... Good luck with your decision!

top topics

join