It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Lurker coming in from the Cold

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Hello,
I've been lurking here for some time after being introduced to this site by a friend who is a member. Overall, I have been quite entertained, but some of the things I have seen here disturb me. I joined because I wanted to address the problem I see.
Too often, I see posts by people who at least claim to be current or former government employees or government contractors. I see them posting information that while it is not classified, I'd be stunned if it weren't FOUO or FOUO/NOFORN. Sometimes I see people posting information and 'intelligence' that was clearly derived from their government sponsored work. I think this is wrong, even unethical, and those that do it, (if their employer were to find out about it) would be in some pretty hot water.
Similarly, within the government, their is a concept / policy called OPSEC, short for Operational Security. According to most OPSEC policies that I have seen it is frowned upon for government personnel or their contractors to post personal information about themselves on the internet - especially when you tell people who you work for and what you do. There is a reason most govt. agencies and contractors don't publish company / agency directories listing names & contact information. Posting personal information while simultaneously indicating special knowledge about govt. programs makes you a potential target for espionage.
I think that the govt people on ATS should review their agency's OPSEC policy and take more time thinking about it before they post.

But that's just me. I'll get off my high horse now. Thanks for having me, I look forward to not being a lurker anymore.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
hi OPSEC!

Welcome to the inside!

post unto others as you would have them post unto you!

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
WooHoo welcome aboard government heavy.
You go get those nasty ratting varmints!

I look foward to many hours of enjoyable repression together

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Glad you could find us here at the great ATS, enjoy your long stay!

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Don't worry, is nothing in ATS that has not been in the open already, and for you concern about "members in the government or working for the government" posting information well I guess they are the ones putting themselves at risk.

Welcome and enjoy your stay.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
welcome, former lurker myself.

hope you enjoy your stay just as i am

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
WooHoo welcome aboard government heavy.
You go get those nasty ratting varmints!

I look foward to many hours of enjoyable repression together

Do I detect sarcasm? Wow. that makes me feel so... welcome.
Thanks Mr. Super Moderator!!

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Opsec, if you look at my profile, you can probably figure out that (at one time at least) I did work which required one level or another of clearance (which I no longer have, because I haven't done any secure stuff in fifteen years). Almost every item I read by someone who claims to have "classified" or "Top Secret" information is, to the best of my knowledge, bogus on its face. These people are IMHO just trying to impress other people or get them to buy into their theories by inventing some sort of substantiation.

This isn't to say that there aren't some very knowledgeable folks here -- of just about every political persuasion -- because there are some smart cookies indeed.

But just about every time I read "...I talked to this retired Air Force Colonel who had a Top Secret Clearance and he told me the Real Truth about the Little Purple Men From Arcturus....", I just blow it off.

In any event, welcome! Your experience and background will be a welcome addition to the [unclassified] knowledge base here.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Greetings Opsec, welcome to the club!

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by OPSEC
I think this is wrong, even unethical, and those that do it, (if their employer were to find out about it) would be in some pretty hot water.

Allow me to offer you an alternative perspective.......

The very nature of holding classified information can be stressful. Usually, the awareness of information that you cannot communicate readily tends to impede the ability to socialize. Not for everyone.....to a heavy extent or even to be problamatic in a psychological sense.

But the above will illustrate how benifitial a place such as ATS is.........you can communicate certain ideas without any real risk..........no real risk in that you can find most everything on the net anyways...or, if you are an individual that truly wants to know, then you can findout anything.

Fret not.....everything on this site has been associated with the word 'conspiracy' and that has an inherent implication in the mainstream to be dubious in nature...

Btw.....welcome to ATS........

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by OPSEC
Hello,
I've been lurking here for some time after being introduced to this site by a friend who is a member. Overall, I have been quite entertained, but some of the things I have seen here disturb me. I joined because I wanted to address the problem I see.
Too often, I see posts by people who at least claim to be current or former government employees or government contractors. I see them posting information that while it is not classified, I'd be stunned if it weren't FOUO or FOUO/NOFORN. Sometimes I see people posting information and 'intelligence' that was clearly derived from their government sponsored work. I think this is wrong, even unethical, and those that do it, (if their employer were to find out about it) would be in some pretty hot water.
Similarly, within the government, their is a concept / policy called OPSEC, short for Operational Security. According to most OPSEC policies that I have seen it is frowned upon for government personnel or their contractors to post personal information about themselves on the internet - especially when you tell people who you work for and what you do. There is a reason most govt. agencies and contractors don't publish company / agency directories listing names & contact information. Posting personal information while simultaneously indicating special knowledge about govt. programs makes you a potential target for espionage.
I think that the govt people on ATS should review their agency's OPSEC policy and take more time thinking about it before they post.

But that's just me. I'll get off my high horse now. Thanks for having me, I look forward to not being a lurker anymore.

Ya gotta love that First Ammendment, eh? I was in the Army and was in the Gulf War. I now write for a living. I am watching this Valerie Plame case with great interest. Because of my allegience to the Unite States and because I served, I think that sometimes members of the media should exercise restraint. I do not see Judith Miller as being some hero. I think she should tell what she knows to Fitzgerald. The outting of a CIA agent for revenge is an issue of national security. There should be a head or three on platters.

Btw, I'm the PTS Councilor. If you ever need anything, or if you have comments/suggestions, send me a u2u.

Happy hunting!

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
You haven't seen sarcasm, yet.

new topics

top topics

join