It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: US Closes Consulate on Mexican Border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The United States of America Consulate located in the Mexican/American border town of Nuevo Laredo has been closed, following escalating violence between gangs to include the use of Bazookas.

news.bbc.co.uk
Bazookas, grenades and machine guns are said to have been used in recent clashes between rival drug cartels.
They seek to control key smuggling routes across the US border.

On Thursday night, some 30 masked men attacked a house believed to be sheltering rival drug smugglers.
The house was partly destroyed by a rocket launcher and hit by hundreds of bullets.

More than 100 people have been killed in Nuevo Laredo since January.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It seems the closure is on a tempory basis but if the situation does not improve I can see it being a long absence. The local new police chief was also executed by the gangs within hours of taking office. The gangs seem to have almost total rein in the local area. Sounds more like Columbia than Mexico to me, and I feel that this area is now fertile ground for further problems if the Drug Gangs have any links to Mexican Rebels, or foster them for mutual benefit.

Related News Links:
english1.peopledaily.com.cn
tvnz.co.nz

[edit on 30-7-2005 by MischeviousElf]

[edit on 30-7-2005 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

"A violent battle, which included unusual advanced weapons, took place between armed criminal groups late Thursday in Nuevo Laredo," said US Ambassador Tony Garza.

Good lord! how did they get a hold of advanced weapons?!

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Yeah, it looks like things are going bad there, the U.S. State Department also renewed a travel advisory urging Americans to avoid northern Mexico.

Here's the old advisory that was renewed:

This Public Announcement is to alert U.S. citizens to the continuing unsettled public security situation along the Mexican side of the U.S.-Mexico border. This Public Announcement supercedes the Public Announcement of January 26, 2005 to update the information provided. It expires on July 29, 2005.

Violent criminal activity fueled by a war between criminal organizations struggling for control of the lucrative narcotics trade continues along the U.S.-Mexico border. This has resulted in a wave of violence aimed primarily at members of drug trafficking organizations, criminal justice officials and journalists. However, foreign visitors and residents, including Americans, have been among the victims of homicides and kidnappings in the border region.

A power vacuum within criminal organizations resulting from the imprisonment of several of their leaders along the Mexico-U.S. border continues to contribute to a deterioration of public safety in the region. In recent months, the worst violence has been centered in the city of Nuevo Laredo in the Mexican state of Tamaulipas, where more than 30 U.S. citizens have been kidnapped and/or murdered in the past eight months and public shootouts have occurred during daylight hours near frequented shopping areas and on streets leading to the international bridges. One of the shootouts spilled onto the Mexican side of the bridge itself. Four police officers have been killed in Nuevo Laredo since March.

Full Announcement: U.S. State Department

[edit on 7/30/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I had no idea things were deteriorating so badly down Mexico way. The drug trade must be ratcheting up significantly if incidents like this are beginning to happen. I don't know if there have been other occurances like this, but I've not heard about it if it had.
The travel advisory is worse for Mexico than the closing of the consulate, imo, and does not bode well for that area.

As to where they got those weapons...well, I figure they must have bought them at trade shows and smuggled them into Mexico from the USA.

cjf

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
If the gangs are fighting over ‘smuggling rights’ to the US, would not one logical initial step be toward increasing security on the border to decrease the narcotics trafficking leading to elimination of motive? Sadly, I suppose, it will take a full-scale armed invasion before US southern borders are secured.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
In honesty, the Mexican and South American Governments are very involved in drug trafficing as are some aspects of the American Government.

It'd be fairly easy to get a hold of the "high tech" weapons, when you're an Arm of the State.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
So much for our War on Drugs. The USA government would rather close offices than stop the drug flow.

The USA government knows the smuggling routes exist but seem to be doing nothing to close these routes. Makes you wonder how much money the USA government is making for NOT closing these smuggling routes.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Look up a guy named Barry Seal, then try to hand me some crap about how the US wants to stop the Drug Traffic. This guy was running arouns with George Bush Sr.'s personal phone number in his back pocket, and was a first named basis with senior US Military Staff. George Bush even owned the man's airplane for a while. Mena AK, the real Bush Clinton story is there.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The Barry Seal story is really a fascinating read, the guy had guts and a quick tongue for sure.

Qwas - that's a bit of stretch isn't it?

[edit on 30-7-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I dont think that was a stretch at all. 500 billion dollars of drug money a yr is laundered thru the american economy. You take that away, u crash the stock market, ira's and trust funds are down the tubes. its bad for business to cancel out what helps keep the sheeple complacent along with the big bux that pads their pockets. Take a look at the Solari index and you will see what im talking about.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
It's kind of pathetic to think that $500 Billion of the estimated $800 Billion of worldwide drug money is laundered through the U.S.--you sure that number is really that high? Anyway, I don't think the U.S. economy would go to hell if it was removed. Our opinions on this point may diverge, but it doesn't really matter because there isn't any way to find out what would really happen. However, it's one thing to have corruption, even widespread corruption, which you strongly imply, and quite another to say the U.S. government itself is deeply involved in it.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer68
The Barry Seal story is really a fascinating read, the guy had guts and a quick tongue for sure.

Qwas - that's a bit of stretch isn't it?

It might be a stretch if you only read this thread, but government involvement in drug trafficking goes back to at least the Vietnam War. You also need to question why the War on Drugs seems to be doing nothing to stop drugs here in the USA.

Everyone agrees that government "black operations" cost billions more than what is on the budget, but no one questions where the money is coming from. It can't be any form of tax revenue because that has to be accounted for.

Twitchy was right on about Mena AK. There was so much happening there with drugs that the government had to know but still did nothing. It had to be the government (CIA) selling the drugs.

Here is a link to learn more if you are interested.
CIA Drugs

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Geeeeeeeeze .. this world stinks. What the hell is wrong with people?
Looks like it's time for God to send another flood, or a really big meteor
and start all over again. It's out of control.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
You are absolutely right FlyersFan.

And there is no one else to blame but ourselves. We keep voting these fools into office. It's our job to make certain that our political leaders are good religious people but we have failed for the last 35+ years.

apc

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Looks like it's time for God to send another flood, or a really big meteor
and start all over again

No flood. Next time it's by fire, remember?

www.inlibertyandfreedom.com...
'Frances Mullen, Jr., former head of the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), called Bush's efforts "an intellectual fraud" and "a liability rather than an asset." Soon after these statements, Mullen resigned and the resultant General Accounting Office (GAO) report was buried.

In July, 1985, the suppressed GAO paper reported that there were "no benefits from the National Narcotics Border Interdiction System, directed by George Bush. In fact, the overall effect was to encourage supply...."'

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Friggin' Nazis.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
None of this is as easy as "voting the right person in". Our political system is so messed up, I don't think it can ever be fixed. There are too many special interest groups. It is all about $ $ $ $ $. In order for the right thing to happen, we have to do too many wrong things. In order to have world peace, there needs to be a world war. Bottom line, you just have to hope your side is making the decisions.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Seems this is developing further as I originally posted, :up heads up from a submission :Link
I voted a yes for it, but feel it follows on from this one as well, especially as the great CIA info Twitchy Thanks, so will add some from the post here too.

A renegade band of Mexican military deserters, offering $50,000 bounties for the assassination of U.S. law-enforcement officers, has expanded its base of operations into the United States to protect loads of coc aine and marijuana being brought into America by Mexican smugglers, authorities said.

The deserters, known as the "Zetas," trained in the United States as an elite force of anti-drug commandos, but have since signed on as mercenaries for Mexican narcotics traffickers and have recruited an army of followers, many of whom are believed to be operating in Texas, Arizona, California and Florida.

The organization's hub, law-enforcement authorities said, is Nuevo Laredo, a border city of 300,000 across from Laredo, Texas. It is the most active port-of-entry along the U.S.-Mexico border, with more than 6,000 trucks crossing daily into Texas, carrying about 40 percent of Mexico's total exports.

WashingtonTimes

So to Surmise... USA elite trained, mercenary drug smuggling murderers have control of the Border Town, Through which flows 40% of the Mexican Exports.
These Zetas then use Bazookas and carry out general urban warfare, to further their causes, both financial and territorial. The USA Closes its consulate there, The cival servant says to these nice guys, hey thats ok just carry on we will just turn a blind eye. So the Zetas then get boldened by their success so far, and put bounties on the heads of US Law Officials (except the corrupt ones of course)....

They also apparently have a 'Army' of supporters in major american cities.

Massive amounts of money, political scandel and bribery, high tech weapons, control of 40% of the entire Mexican import to the USA, A weak Border, Intelligence Community duplicity in Drugs, Trained and funded by their own current enemy....mmmm Seems like a very strong position from their point of view.

Wait there! this reminds me of something....mmm what is it... What situation previously had the same hallmarksas the above paragraph?

Yep Al Queda!! maybe not the same religeous fanatisism, but certainly a $ and 'high' fueled one, and right on the border. Surprised this hasnt beeen covered more in the mainstream.

MischeviouslyEatingEnchiladas

top topics

join