It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nibiru: Found? Large object discovered in outer solar system

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
First, I'd like to direct everyone to the first ATS thread that covered this discovery (in one of the science forums):
www.abovetopsecret.com...

OK, now that due credit has been given to the first person to bring this up on ATS, I'd like to bring up this discovery in the aliens section (where I think it deserves a second mention within an ET context)...

Basically, an object has been discovered that may be twice the size of Pluto in a 'trans-Neptune' orbit. It's also slightly 'off' so far as its orbit goes and is making its way around the sun at an unusual speed. Being twice the size of Pluto (possibly) it's hard to dismiss this as just another KBO or planetoid... as it's nearly the size of Mars.

details from New Scientist:
www.newscientistspace.com...
"An object possibly twice the size of Pluto has been found - hiding in plain sight. The discovery could be the biggest world in the Kuiper belt of rocky objects that orbit the outer reaches of the solar system.
The find suggests more such objects are waiting to be discovered and is likely to reignite the fierce debate about what constitutes a planet.
On Thursday, an email with the subject, "Big TNO discovery, urgent" was sent to a popular astronomy mailing list. The message described the discovery of a "very bright" object that was creeping along slowly beyond the orbit of Neptune - making it a Trans-Neptunian Object, or TNO."

Now comes the big question... is this the Nibiru of UFO folklore and (supposed) Sumerian legend? According to that tale (and the tales of some self-described 'contactees'), Nibiru is the staging point for a race of beings who have, since ancient and prehistoric times, regularly visited Earth and influenced the human race. It is called the planet of 'the crossing'... which could signified something that is a trans-neptunian object.

So, do you guys think it's Nibiru? Again, I'm bringing this discovery up here after it's been brought up in the space forum because I think it deserves an ET-oriented thread as well as a purely astronomical one.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
whoa dude!
thats wicked!!

i have no idea whats going on anymore my friend...

but i do know one thing
that i dont know

cant wait to hear what everyone else has to say about this

good find onlyinmydreams

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Any estimation on how hot/cold this planet would be?

EDIT: read a piece of the article that said it was sometimes farther out than Pluto which should mean it's pretty cold, right?

[edit on 29-7-2005 by Phood]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Taken from here.

the object is about 32% as massive as Pluto. Assuming its composition is similar, that implies its diameter is about 70% of Pluto's, or about 1600 kilometres.

Not sure what this does for your analysis, but apparently there's more data coming soon. An astronomer imaged this object with its moon using the Keck telescope not too long ago and is evaluating data from the Spitzer space telescope. We should have a fair amount of information about it soon.

Most notable, this object is extremely bright. That's of particular interest, especially if it turns out to be of a different composition than pluto. Could it meant that this object with an extremely irregular (i.e., 28 degree inclined) orbit bear signs of being an artificial satellite? I don't know. But the data is certainly interesting.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
of Pluto, it does have an orbiting moon. I am curious to know that since we can still get information from voyager till ~2020, can we get any information about this planetoid?

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Just to be clear, I wasn't saying that I think this IS Nibiru, I was just asking, essentially, "Hey, if the Nibiru legend is correct, might this be it?"

But, yes, the most recent data suggests that it is smaller than Pluto. It seems, though, that they are basing the size (dimension-wise) on the estimated mass, not on the observed object... so, might it be possible for it to be larger than Pluto if it was not as 'solid'?

And, yeah, I noticed the brightness thing, too. Apparently this would be visible to the naked eye if it were orbiting the sun at the distance of the asteroid belt.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
No matter what we learn from this particular discovery, it does add to the feasibility of there being large KPO's that have yet to be discovered... and that adds to the possibility that the ancient legends have some basis in truth.... all very, very interesting

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
As to the possibility of this being niburu...
nada... well, maybe .00000000001 percent...

since that is the number of bodies in the Ort cloud that could also be considered Niburu...

Most theorists place Niburu in an opposite orbit to us, so that it is same distance away from the sun, but opposite side of the sun to us...

But this is interesting, and it proves that NASA doesn't know it all yet (about our solar system) but they have admitted for years, that the Ort cloud is too far away and too spread out to document totally...

someday, our decendants will be up there mining minerals and making buttloads of money, while we sit in fear of intersystem space travel...

and BTW... it says it has an unusual orbit, so do all the common ORT objects...

And for whoever suggested having Voyager swing by for a look...
think about it... the ort cloud is HUGE and VAST...
Voyager is probably closer to earth than this planet... and it is decades of travel from here...

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Well, to be clear, the reason I brought up Nibiru was because initial reports claimed that it was twice the size of Pluto, which would make it very unusual for an object in its location. I mean, if correct, such dimensions would have put it on a scale approaching a planet like Mars (it would still be smaller, but it couldn't be dismissed as a planetoid or mere KBO at such a size).

As more data has come out, though, it seems like this could not possibly be Nibiru (unless the estimated size is wrong). It does, however, imply that astronomers may, indeed, have missed other large objects, as this thing is apparently very bright and could, possibly, have been discovered as early as 1955. Such a missing planet has even been suggested as the reason for why Sedna has such an unusual orbit (keep in mind that some people think Sedna, due to its high reflectivity and unusual orbit, might be 'nibiru').

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
onlyinmydreams-

I was going to correct you until like a good ATS member, I read all of the responding posts (especially your last one)! The article which I read stated that this object is only 70% the size of Pluto's diameter. These "measurements" are said to be accurate to within 1 to 2%.

Here's a quote from the article, which I will provide a link to below:

Is there any chance it is bigger than Pluto?

"No," Brown said in a telephone interview. "Definitely not."

In fact, Brown's team got the new data they had been waiting for, from the Spitzer Space Telescope, last week. While not fully analyzed, he said the Spitzer observations show "absolutely" that the object is not bigger than Pluto.

As far as "Niburu" goes... I'm no expert on the subject, but isn't it supposed to be similar in size to Earth? Hopefully one of our resident Niburu/Planet-X ATS Experts can fill us all in!

The article also stated that this object could very well have been discovered back about 75 years ago when Pluto was, but it could have just been barely too faint. This object is on an entirely different plane than the one that most of the planets in our solar system travel on.

Here's a link to the article:

Space.com Article

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Yea, it's a good find. It'll go nice in the collection of large KBO's with Sedna and Pluto.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
>Voyager is probably closer to earth than this planet

voyager.jpl.nasa.gov...

Voyager 2 was in the vicinity of Neptune sixteen years ago. Both probes are in interstellar space right now.

Of course...that doesn't neccesarily mean that they're farther from earth. 360 degrees^2 is a lot of room to maneouver in. They could very easily be on the other side.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Neither the Voyager probes nor the Pioneer probes (if they were still in contact) could be diverted to look at this thing. Besides, both Voyagers are now at or past the edge of the solar system (as measured by things related to the solar wind)... so they are undoubtedly far beyond this world (even if they happened to be in the same direction).

So far this world has been described as being about as far from the sun as Pluto... it is not way out there like Sedna (which, combined with its brightness, has made many astounded that it wasn't found earlier).

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Hmnn...

Now the NYTimes is saying that it is DEFINITELY larger than Pluto:
nytimes.com

"Astronomers announced today that they have found a lump of rock and ice that is larger than Pluto and the farthest known object in the solar system. The discovery will likely rekindle debate over the definition of "planet" and whether Pluto should still be regarded as one."

'"It is guaranteed bigger than Pluto," said Michael E. Brown, a professor of planetary astronomy at Caltech, who led the team that made the discovery. "Even if it were 100 percent reflective, it would be larger than Pluto. It can't be more than 100 percent reflective."'

(mod edit: made link pretty)

[edit on 7/30/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
1) its smaller than they thought
2) it has a moon

1a. "But although initial calculations suggested the Kuiper Belt object could be up to twice as big as Pluto, the new data indicates it is about 70% the diameter of that planet. This makes its size second only to Pluto itself among objects beyond Neptune."

2a. "They say also say the object is orbited by a tiny moon."

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
There is no Nirubu at all, there was and there never will be. It's just an ancient myth, nothing else. This is just a planetary body that might actually be declared an offical planet in a few months (lots of changes to textbooks that's for sure), let's leave it at that. This Nirubu stuff came about too when they discovered Sedna.

Nirubu, like seriously....

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
[edit on 7-30-2005 by Springer]

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
As far as "Niburu" goes... I'm no expert on the subject, but isn't it supposed to be similar in size to Earth? Hopefully one of our resident Niburu/Planet-X ATS Experts can fill us all in!

Nibiru is supposedly four times larger than Earth.

[edit on 30-7-2005 by Faceless]

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
"However, a number of astronomers dispute whether Pluto, discovered in 1930, should really be classified as a planet, because it is so dissimilar from the other eight. Instead, they believe it should be classified only as a Kuiper Belt object, part of an array of icy debris in the outer reaches of the solar system.

Thousands of Kuiper objects have been discovered, and more are being found all the time.

Brown concedes that both Pluto and his new planet are Kuiper objects -- but he argues they are also both big enough to be classified as planets."

pluto is at risk of being demoted, so if pluto is demoted, and this object is called a planet, we still have only 9 planets........and its 9 billion miles from earth.

great find, great story, but nibiru ? i'll wait to see these aliens kind enough to go through the trouble of travelling 9 billion miles to influence our culture before i buy that one

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
lets say it is Nibiru, there is no way it would contain any life. The planet is so far away from the sun that all you'd find is ice.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join