It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New planet discovered? (Planet X?)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Fresh article from the BBC saying that astronomers are impressed with the find of a distant object orbiting our sun in the solar system.

It never comes as close as Neptune, but goes out further than pluto.
They are not sure of the size, due to reflectivity issues guessing that it is either a large dim object, or a small bright object.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Gods Peace

dalen

[edit on 29-7-2005 by dAlen]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Cool wonder what it looks like ..or any life on it

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Lordy I wish we had an array of orbiting telescopes to scan for objects such as this. I suspect there may well be thousands of them out there and if one was outside the plane of the ecliptic by very much it could be several times that large and we would never even know it was there.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   
This was kind of interesting as the topic has potential for those speculating about a planet X or Nibru.
Curious how people who believe in planet X will take this info?

Gods peace

dalen

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I read a report on this that quoted Astronomers as saying, its either a small bright object or a large dull object.... anything from Pluto to planet X

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
As we look more and more, I expect we'll find hundreds of "planet x" objects outside the orbit of the gas giant planet.

Without the gas giants playing the roll of vacuum cleaner like they do for the inner solar system, there are probably lots of rocks bit floating around.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Dang... I so wanted to be the first one to report this.

Here's New Scientists' take:
www.newscientistspace.com...
"An object possibly twice the size of Pluto has been found - hiding in plain sight. The discovery could be the biggest world in the Kuiper belt of rocky objects that orbit the outer reaches of the solar system.
The find suggests more such objects are waiting to be discovered and is likely to reignite the fierce debate about what constitutes a planet.
On Thursday, an email with the subject, "Big TNO discovery, urgent" was sent to a popular astronomy mailing list. The message described the discovery of a "very bright" object that was creeping along slowly beyond the orbit of Neptune - making it a Trans-Neptunian Object, or TNO."

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I wonder if this would be considered a planet or not? I remember when they discovered Sedna in 2004 and didn't make much of it afterwards. Mabey because it was too small to be considered a planet. But this one is larger then Sedna, and mabey Pluto, so I think it should be considered a planet. It's about time we get another member in our solar system. They will probably name it after some ancient god.

P.S. - Nirubu dosn't exist, nor has it ever, it's just a myth.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Now they're saying that it's smaller than Pluto... but that it has its own moon:

www.newscientistspace.com...

The moon is only 1% of the mass f the planet(Oid)

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Wow, this is very interesting!

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Note: I posted the same info on the Niburu? thread a moment ago, but I think it should also be here:

Hmnn...

Now the NYTimes is saying that it is DEFINITELY larger than Pluto:
Live Link

"Astronomers announced today that they have found a lump of rock and ice that is larger than Pluto and the farthest known object in the solar system. The discovery will likely rekindle debate over the definition of "planet" and whether Pluto should still be regarded as one."

'"It is guaranteed bigger than Pluto," said Michael E. Brown, a professor of planetary astronomy at Caltech, who led the team that made the discovery. "Even if it were 100 percent reflective, it would be larger than Pluto. It can't be more than 100 percent reflective."'

[edit on 31/7/05 by JAK]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
is it a planet or not?? and also when will this be in news papers and on TV news?

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
That isn't "Planet X." Trying to decide what to call these little balls of rock and ice is so trivial.

There is another body just outside of our system that's pulling on the outer planets, and thus their elliptical orbits and the unaccounted for 'wobbles' in their orbits ( www.space.com... ).

Also, check this article out:

www.mgr.org...

It was in papers about two decades ago, and was never followed up. It's either it's too dark and cold to be observed with our telescopes, or else it's been covered up. The presence of it's gravity is certainly there, and it's not some small chunk of ice, whatever it is.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 03:39 AM
link   
It's bigger than Pluto, so is definitely a new planet. Now, all the textbooks that say there are 9 planets in the Solar System will have to be re-written.

Astronomers detect '10th planet'
By Dr David Whitehouse
Science Editor BBC news website

The new planet has a highly-inclined orbit #
Astronomers in the United States have announced the discovery of the 10th planet to orbit our Sun.
The largest object found in our Solar System since Neptune was discovered in 1846, it was first seen in 2003 but has only now been confirmed as a planet.

Designated 2003 UB313, it is about 3,000km across, a world of rock and ice and somewhat larger than Pluto.

Scientists say it is three times as far away as Pluto, in an orbit at an angle to the orbits of the other planets.

Astronomers think that at some point in its history Neptune likely flung it into its highly-inclined 44 degree orbit.

It is currently 97 Earth-Sun distances away - more than twice Pluto's average distance from the Sun.

Bigger than Pluto

Its discoverers are Michael Brown of Caltech, Chad Trujillo of the Gemini Observatory in Hawaii and David Rabinowitz of Yale University.

It's not every day that you find something Pluto-sized or larger!

Chad Trujillo
David Rabinowitz told the BBC News website: "It has been a remarkable day and a remarkable year. 2003 UB313 is probably larger than Pluto. It is fainter than Pluto, but three times farther away.

"Brought to the same distance from the Sun as Pluto, it would be brighter. So today the world knows that Pluto is not unique. There are other Plutos, just farther out in the solar system where they are a little harder to find."

It was picked up using the Samuel Oschin Telescope at Palomar Observatory and the 8-metre Gemini North telescope on Mauna Kea.

Chad Trujillo told the BBC News website: "I feel extremely lucky to be part of a discovery as exciting as this. It's not every day that you find something Pluto-sized or larger!"

"The spectra that we took at the Gemini Observatory are particularly interesting because it shows that the surface of 2003 UB313 is very similar to that of Pluto."

Slow mover

It was first seen 21 October 2003, but didn't see it move in the sky until looking at the same area 15 months later on 8 January 2005.

The researchers say they tried looking for it with the Spitzer Space Telescope which is sensitive to heat radiation, and didn't detect it.

This gives them an upper limit of its size of 3,000 km, they say. The lower limit still makes it larger than Pluto.

The discovery of 2003 UB313 comes just after the announcement of the finding of 2003 EL61, which appears to be a little smaller than Pluto.

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by blobby
is it a planet or not?? and also when will this be in news papers and on TV news?

Its "officially" a planet...

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 05:02 AM
link   
The new article (news.bbc.co.uk...)
states that its orbit is different, thus hinting at one of the reasons as to why they havent found it yet.

How much you want to bet our sun is like the nucleus of an atom, and planets orbit it from various degrees...its not just a bunch of planets "FLATTLY" rotating around the sun.

The earth was said to be flat, we now know its round...
Why not have a "round" orbit of planets instead of a "flat" orbit of planets around the sun.

Cool stuff, enjoy!

Gods Peace

dalen

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 05:02 AM
link   
sorry, it was a repeat post...their was a computer glitch loading the material.

Gods Peace

dalen

[edit on 30-7-2005 by dAlen]

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
This is planet X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There WAS 9 planets now 10.

10 in Roman Numerals = X

Some reason they already think its all methane ice, but how could they know that? What insterment can tell us that? How can you get a chemical composition of something that is so far away?

Planet X supposivly has a huge 3600 year path around the sun but at one point another it passes threw mars and jupiter. If we track this thing and it comes closer.. It is the offical planet X.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
all molucules have a colour we know hydrogen is red oxygen is blue etc so we look at a planet or any object in space and analyze the colours simple as that

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
colors lmao. so what happens when we find a planet that is a certain color, but it is made of something not found here on earth? guess we will be wrong then right?

This kind of reminds me of a science book i saw that tells the different layers of the sun. Like this fusedweb.pppl.gov...

yet.. no one has any evidence that the sun has a core, or layers. And there is no way to back up these claims. No one on earth will ever get close enough to find out... Yet they teach it in schools.

[edit on 30-7-2005 by Deny0rder]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join