It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Real Life UFO, Government Interest and Patent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Hopefully the topic caught your eye.
On with the show.

While browsing around some patents I came across this one that was pretty interesting. Anyone with UFO interest should agree.

It is stated as " Circular vertical take off & landing aircraft "

Patent Source # 6,581,872

This gives some thought to the "disk" shaped crafts. We will see why in a minute.

Short Description

A circular VTOL aircraft with a central vertically mounted turboprop engine (14), driving contra-rotating co-axial propellers (24), above a central jet engine, or engines (12), horizontally mounted on a turntable pod (11) which is steerable through 360 degrees. The turboprop provides vertical thrust from contra-rotating propellers compressing air from an upper circular intake (5) downward through a funnel-shaped rotor-chamber (6) to a circular vent (10) at the base of the craft. The resulting column of compressed air supports the craft during take-off, hover and landing operations and provides a cushion of air in normal flight. The horizontally mounted jet turbine provides main thrust for horizontal flight and vectored thrust for VTOL. The passenger cabin (21) is circular and is situated in the main body of the disc-shaped craft. Fuel tanks are situated around the circumference of the craft to maximise fuel capacity. The flight-deck (2) is situated at the top center of the craft, above the engine unit (15), which is detachable.

Some things to notice in the description.

-aerodynamic disc shaped airframe
-provide thrust for the aircraft and hovering flight
-can be steered through 360 degrees to enable the aircraft to move horizontally in any direction
-a circular passenger compartment, a payload, fuel tanks and weapon bays being incorporated in the main circular body of the aircraft.
-hovering capability as well as fast forward flight.

A little government tid-bit is mentioned.

U.K. GOVERNMENT RIGHTS

This invention is supported by a U.K. Government "Smart Award" Feasibility Study Ref. number 1007, with financial support from the Department of Trade and industry for the research and development of a working prototype. The U.K. Government has placed certain restrictions on the manufacture of this invention.

Ive take the time to get the images myself, instead of sending you through another link, although the images are here for you to see in their rightful place.

Note: Requires quicktime.

The images

Here are mine.

Note: Edited them for proper viewing, rotated 90 degrees and placed patent text on top.

This last image goes with figure 1. You can also read the same text in the patent document stated at the start of the thread.

Hope you found this interesting.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I did find this interesting, good job. Though, sadly, I think I'd already heard of it....hmm, maybe I'm wrong ... anyways, yeah, many archives showing projects just like those were released not too long ago. Even the Nazis were experimenting with disc-shaped crafts...

Anyhow, Good job.

Keep up the good work.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Actually, I've heard of similar things as well. The main thing that caught my eye was the patent date--June 24th, 2003. Most of the experiments I've heard of were from the 50's and 60's. It seemed that most people gave up (publicly at least) on the concept after that.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I thought at one time I had seen the image in figure 1 before but I could never find it again after searching.

Using the patent search for " VTOL " will produce some similar results.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
You mean this?

www.moller.com...

Or maybe this:

www.edwards.af.mil...

[edit on 26-7-2005 by obsidian468]

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
But they still have jets. So if you hear those jets you know it isn't an alien UFO. Silence is the key, along with a high rate of speed and sharp turns.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
No obsidian468 I was saying that I saw the same image as figure 1 that I posted before, it may even have been at ATS but I cant find it.

As for the noise factor, I do not know what to believe because I have never seen a "UFO" in person.

I will not make judgements.

This has the shape, flight patterns and abilities that an average ufo sighting has.

This craft can go in any direction in wants and change direction quickly.

I like looking at "evidence" such as this because its something we know and can look at. Studying the theory of UFO's is pointless to me without something to actually look into.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
good find definatly im making copies of all this stuff

very cool

btw; obsidian; avrocar never sparked 1 single UFO story
know why? cuz it cant fly! lol

now; it may have sparked a few ULLHO sightings
Unidentified Low Level Hovering Object

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The reason I posted those particular pictures is because both of those vehicles work on precicely the same physics outlined within the patent. In other words, they've already been built. Neither one has been able to achieve the expected results yet, though Moller seems to be getting close with the latest design of the skycar (which, ironically enough, is not disc shaped).

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
btw; obsidian; avrocar never sparked 1 single UFO story
know why? cuz it cant fly! lol

now; it may have sparked a few ULLHO sightings
Unidentified Low Level Hovering Object

The text about it sparking UFO stories is not mine. It was placed in the image that is hosted on the Edwards AFB website.

Personally, I doubt either of these would spark UFO stories, considering that the vast majority of UFO sightings describe silent craft, and not propeller or turbine engines.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
A Real Life UFO, Government Interest and Patent

That would imply it's Unidentified, no?

At any rate, maybe I'm missing it, but is there something weird about the government being interested in circular flying machines? Something would be amiss if they didn't try everything.

top topics

join