It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: UAE Receives Ultimatum from Terrorists to Expel All Non-Muslims in Ten Days Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 05:52 AM
link   
A web-site linked to the group Al Qaeda in Iraq released a statement that the United Arab Emirates must expel all non-muslims within ten days. The ultimatum has raised serious concerns for the safety of foreign nationals living in the UAE. One point of contention was the UAE's decision to allow US forces to operate out of UAE landing strips and ports during the Iraq invasion.

quote.bloomberg.com
An Islamist Web site warned the United Arab Emirates, the Middle East's fourth-largest oil producer, to expel non Muslims and Westerners, including the U.S. ambassador and other U.S. citizens, within 10 days or risk attack.

There are about 20,000 U.S. citizens resident in the U.A.E., according to the U.S. embassy in Dubai. The U.K., which is recovering from bomb attacks in London on July 7 that killed 56 people, has 100,000 of its citizens there.

"If you refuse to do this, we ask God to settle the matter or we will settle it with our own hands,'' said the statement posted July 19 by an unidentified individual on al-Sakifah Web site, which carries statements attributed to al-Qaeda in Iraq.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Threats abound, but how do you know which ones to take seriously? The US embassy is taking this seriously, so is the UAE. It remains to be seen if the UAE will comply with the demands, but I consider it highly unlikely.

So at this point it appears we simply have to wait ten days and see if the terrorists make good on their threat. It's simply not feasible to displace the hundreds of thousands of foreigners who live and work in the UAE. I imagine that the terrorists know this, and are making unreasonable demands in the hopes they'll start a panic.

This threat comes on the heels of the Egypt and London attacks, so tensions are high to say the least. I wonder if foreigners living in the UAE might just think twice about their resolve, and elect to catch the next flight home. Better safe than sorry I suppose, but I personally wouldn't allow myself to be intimidated by some thugs with a website. I doubt many people feel differently.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The UAE won't be complying with the demands, imo. They have a pretty tight security apparatus, but this will hurt their tourist industry, which they have been pouring billions into of late to develop.

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
With this, along with any other "terrorist threat", as long as nobody shows fear, the actions of terrorists suddenly lose all effect. Kill a few of us, kill a few of them, eh. Life goes on. I may sound quite jaded at the moment, but honestly, after hearing nothing but terrorist this and terrorist that since 9-11, I'm pretty tired of the topic, and have grown jaded as a result. I'm sure I'm not alone. The only changes in my lifestyle have been to avoid the various invasions of privacy allowed by the provisions set forth by the government since 9-11 (such as, I never use the library, and only pay cash for books, for starters).

I haven't changed anything about my lifestyle to avoid "terror attacks." Fact is, the chances of any one of us dying in a terror attack are pretty slim (you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning). Take a look at the number of people killed within the US or UK from recent terror attacks, and then look at the number of people living in each country, respectively. You have about a 1 in 5 million chance of getting killed by a terrorist attack (less in the US).

That said, there's no point in succumbing to the demands of terrorists.

[edit on 24-7-2005 by obsidian468]

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by obsidian468
The only changes in my lifestyle have been to avoid the various invasions of privacy allowed by the provisions set forth by the government since 9-11 (such as, I never use the library, and only pay cash for books, for starters).

LMAO. Well let me know when you have built your hidden underground bunker.

I suspect the UAE will hold their ground as most countries have. People are not willing so far to just bow down to terrorist demands. Terrorists are really nothing more than cowards. If these groups had the balls to form real army's and come together to fight for what they claim they believe in perhaps they might actually accomplish something. Sadam was a fool but at least he stood up and fought in 91 vs just poking and running away.

I have yet to understand for groups that claim they want to unite for some holy war, why have they not yet united? I don't see their countries standing behind them or the countries of the middleeast coming together in any sort of united front. Thus it would appear these cowards are just desperate folks that will continue to kill innocent people yet never reach their so called goals.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The terrorists are going to piss off their own. They keep killing muslims,
murdering muslim children, threatening soverign muslim countries ....
They are whacked and eventually the rest of the muslim population will
get fed up and they will take care of the terrorist problem themselves.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
FlyersFan - Let us all fervently hope you are correct in your assessment and that the terrorists days of reckoning come swiftly.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Sorry, not gonna work.

Anyone who has seen UAE's development in recent memory understands why these "Terrorists" who are making the threat are going to be ignored.

This is a multi-billion economy that spends a tremendous amount of money on getting Western tourists and businessmen to visit and invest in numerous projects there.

They're not just oil. Not at all.

The argument of these idiots is "kick out your main way of making money or we will kill our own people"?

I can't wait for the backlash to arrive. Now I know why they wear masks. Their own people would beat the daylights out of them for such comments.

It boggles the mind how they can threaten violence on their own people for trying to make money and be a part of the world at large.

xu

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
get fed up and they will take care of the terrorist problem themselves.

did you know that this could be both stretched to the opposite side like if I add a sentence at the end of it, as seen below it still functions. just wanted to point it out

get fed up and they will take care of the terrorist problem themselves. and if Dick Cheney knows whats good for him he better secure a landpiece in Arctic by then.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Would not this "ultimatum" not be considered racial profiling, for you political correct people out there?

seekerof

top topics

join