It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sand storm headed for Florida next week

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Oooh, a sand storm!! car washes to look forward to and probably a few respiratory issues for many. My advice to my fellow floridians, stay indoors.
I'm glad we don't experience sand storms like how China experiences dust storms, those images are ominous.

Pasted the whole story since it is as subscription service
Sand storm headed for Florida next week

Another storm is headed toward South Florida -- and it's not a hurricane.

Born in the desert of North Africa, an immense cloud of Saharan sand is being swept across the Atlantic Ocean by the tradewinds. By early next week, South Floridians will experience hazy blue skies, bright orange sunsets and coats of reddish dust on their cars, the National Weather Service said Friday.

''This is not going to be a tremendous event, but it will be kind of interesting,'' said Jim Lushine, a severe weather expert with Miami's weather bureau.

The sand is lifted from the Sahara Desert, piggybacking on the tropical waves that sweep from east to west over the Atlantic. Such dust clouds are fairly common in July and August, although they can vary in intensity from year to year.

''It's really not rare,'' said Joseph M. Prospero, a professor at the University of Miami's Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science. ``We normally see several extreme dust events each year.''

Air quality is expected to worsen a bit, although experts say the dust shouldn't pose any serious health problems. As a precaution, people with breathing problems may want to limit their time outdoors, said Jim Wheeler, a supervisor with the air monitoring division of the Miami-Dade County Department of Environmental Resource Management.

''Most of it is going to be in the upper atmosphere,'' Wheeler said.

This particular cloud will likely affect the Caribbean basin more directly, and linger over the region for about 12 hours. It measures about 1,500 miles north to south and 2,500 miles west to east.

''About the dimensions of the lower 48 states,'' Lushine said.

The size of this thing too is pretty amazing too.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
more on the upcoming dust storm
S. Florida to get dusty next week as Sahara sand cloud moves in

Because the Sahara dust carries some pathogens, it might cause harm to coral reefs, particularly in the Caribbean, said Bernhard Riegl, an associate professor at Nova Southeastern University's Oceanographic Center. Those pathogens, he said, include fungi, spores and bacteria, but the dust can haul even bigger objects. "Entire desert locusts, the insects, have made it across the Atlantic to the Windward Islands."

So far, there is no evidence the pathogens harm humans, although on the Caribbean island of Trinidad an abnormal number of infants have asthma problems, he said.

hopefully no locusts will make it this far west

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
This is absolutely wild, though there is so much dust form the manufacturing of cultured marble, and fabricating of granite and solid surfaces on the street where I work, doubt I will notice it. But darn, the car detailer comes every two weeks and it doesn't sound like I should bother this Tuesday.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   
If someone in south Florida or the Caribbean has some nice pics of the sunset, sunrise dust in the clouds over the next couple of days or so, it would be nice if they were posted here or a link posted here. I'm thinking it might be similiar to when there was volcanic dust in the sky but I'm not sure how the sunsets will look. I first heard about this watching the local news. It appears the dust cloud will not reach Florida for a couple of days and is just crossing the windward islands now.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   

looks like the heavy concentrations will stay south of south florida.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I'd like to know what this does to the global DVI and how that will impact global temperatures.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I was going to ask you that question Indy

what i'm wondering, is if as some believe, the sand storm will prevent tropical weather development? How long will it last? and does this mean that the hurricane season will quieten down a bit, now that there is so much dry air and dust over the ocean?

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Actually I think it would enhance the tropical season much the same way volcanic ash creates heavy rainstorms. The dust particles act as a nuclei in which raindrops form.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
hmmm interesting, I was thinking that the dust storms would perhaps block some of the sun's rays, causing cooler water temps and then maybe we get less storms.

thanks for bringing life into this convo Indy, i'm doing to do some research see what i can find on these sandstorms.

it seems that sandstorms have been getting to be more frequent and larger in the past decade or so... I have a link somewhere regarding that, will look for it.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I'm just curious but does anyone know if this dust storm is already over the skies of parts of Europe? That dust cloud looks rather large and seems to slope towards Europe in the pic above. I'm also wondering how long it takes these dust storms to clear up.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Has anyone ever thought of the sandstorm as a possible disease bearing storm. Think about it whats in Africa? A lot of disease and pestilence. If a sandstorm hits the southern U.S. Who is to say there is no bird flu in it or any other disease found in europe. asia and africa?

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Have any of our Florida members seen any great sunsets? Like orion said if so take some pictures to share with us. I know I would love to see them - this does happen from time to time but it isn't such a common occurance that we should totally ignore it.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
what i'm wondering, is if as some believe, the sand storm will prevent tropical weather development? How long will it last? and does this mean that the hurricane season will quieten down a bit, now that there is so much dry air and dust over the ocean?

For what its worth, the weather man on the news this morning said hurricanes cannot develope as long as the sandstorm is hogging the atmosphere. It doesn't allow the energy needed to form a hurricane to actually take the form needed.

What the hell does he know though, I live in Arkansas and so does he.

Wupy

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
This sandstorm cloud won't impact (negatively) tropical development. The energy they need comes primarily from the water. The dust particles if anything could enhance storm development as the microscopic grains act as a nuclei for water droplettes.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I'm in the Tallahassee area and about 15 minutes ago a slight haze set over us....It's not just hanging around in the sky, but it's at ground level and has added a distinct odor to the air....but it's all very faint here - I'm sure those further south are seeing quite a bit more of it....

As far as its impact on the sunset....It's amplified some of the more golden/pinkish hues - My view is kind of blocked by tons of pine trees, but if I get a good shot, I'll post it...

This is pretty cool - Ya don't get an African dust storm in your backyard every day....well, at least not for now

[edit on 7/26/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
well it's definitely hazy down here right now (after 11pm) i missed the sunset, but will watch for the sunrise.

i found this article about what hitches a rides on these african dust storms. I'm keeping my kids indoors.
www.baysoundings.com...

well it just started pouring so that haziness must have been oncoming rain

[edit on 7-26-2005 by worldwatcher]

top topics

join