It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Real "Tent City" run by Sheriff Joe Arpaio

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Is Sheriff Joe Arpaio that guy on TV??

You know...on the Worlds scariest [insert text here] TV shows?

Is that him?

Cause that guys a Friggen Pric....I hate him and his damn turtlenecks!!

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
If these conditions were standard on all US prison and Jail I be our prison population would be at least half of what it is today,

If harsh prison conditions led to lower prison populations, then why are countries like Russia and Belarus right behind the USA in the number of prisoners per capita?

Is Russia known for having great prison conditions?
They boil people in Belarus so I wouldn't call them light on criminals and yet they have high prison populations.

1. United States 715 per 100,000 people
2. Russia 584 per 100,000 people
3. Belarus 554 per 100,000 people
4. Palau 523 per 100,000 people
5. Belize 459 per 100,000 people
6. Suriname 437 per 100,000 people
7. Dominica 420 per 100,000 people
8. Ukraine 416 per 100,000 people
9. Bahamas, The 410 per 100,000 people
10. South Africa 402 per 100,000 people

www.nationmaster.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Tell ya what Ace... It may be harsh treatment for the prisoners, and they may be going there by choice. It's all good. If they don't want to be there, then it only seems reasonable not to do the crime. No babying allowed! It may not deter the criminal mind, but it damn sure makes him uncomfortable and puts him on a survival edge when s/he's there.

[edit on 14-7-2005 by sigung86]

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Ace your logic is flawed I don't know how the Russian legal system operates or what are crimes an what are not or what their sentences are or what they define and how they try crime.
All I’m saying is that most of the prison population are repeat offenders, now if we can make them one time offenders by harsh prison standards then it could make a difference. Give it a chance and at least admit that it could make a difference we cant just say no it wont work without trying it.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Good ole Joe. Hated by some but re-elected year after year.
Dont forget the pink cells, towels, bedding- everything is pink..how quaint.
That guy is creepy if you ask me.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
If harsh prisons deter crime then why does Texas have over 150,000, that's right 150,000 people locked up in the State prison system?

That's not counting the ones in county jails or the ones on parole or probation.

Hell in this state inmates must work or they will be forced to eat their food ground up and mixed together in a baked loaf in a 5 by 9 solitary confinment cell.

They must work or they lose ALL privileges including commissary, television, weights, radio, fan, everything.

They must work or they are locked down 23 hours a day in their cell with nothing to do but read a Bible or legal work.

There is no air conditioning and the temperture inside the cells can reach well above 120 degrees.

The work is mostly meaningless. Stuff like 'Hoe Squads" where you work in the fields under the hot Texas sun eight hours a day chopping weeds while a man on a horse with a 65 IQ points a rifle at you from a few hundred yards away hoping you will run so he can have target practice. Did I mention they dont get money for the work they do.

I have a friend in prison who was railroaded into pleading guilty because he couldn't afford a lawyer worth a grain of salt.

Also seeing you people talk about this idiot in Arizona running that county jail like he is some kind of hero makes me sick.

If you live in the US then you should know the American justice system is based on the assumption that you are innocent until proven guilty and the county jail is where you go to await trial and also the place you do your time for minor offenses. The state prison is where you go after being convicted of a felony.

You people that think this idiot running a county jail is doing a good job by violating peoples' basic human rights, even innocent people whose only crime may be they are to poor to post bond before trial are not thinking straight!

edit: to be more politically correct! My Texas temper got the best of me.
edit: to fix edit

[edit on 14-7-2005 by TexasConspiracyNut]

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
now if we can make them one time offenders by harsh prison standards then it could make a difference. Give it a chance and at least admit that it could make a difference we cant just say no it wont work without trying it.

I agree with Dostoevsky (Crime and Punishment author), who said: "The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons."

Why would you want to adopt the practices of countries we generally look down upon?

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
TCN
I would discourage you from personally attacking your fellow members...

However...

The fact that this pituitary retard holds office in the first place is enough to make sensible men shake their heads in disgust. The fact that people look up to and admire this man is enough to make you change citizenship. If this schmuck is a role model, I'm content to not breed until he dies.

I'm going to try and get him to let me manage his next campaign. I'm also going to tactfully suggest the following campaign slogan.

"Arpaio, because competence is over-rated."

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
OK, point taken.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   
"The fact that this pituitary retard holds office in the first place is enough to make sensible men shake their heads in disgust. The fact that people look up to and admire this man is enough to make you change citizenship. If this schmuck is a role model, I'm content to not breed until he dies."

this abberation known as joe arpaio is one reason i think america is doomed to a new dark age, a hybrid between orwell's 1984 and nazi germany's holocaust. simply put, many people like to feel better than each other. so when the "other" guy gets punished for being "bad" these people with little minds feel smug and superior and champion the dehumanizing treatment of their fellow citizens that, if they witnessed it being inflicted on a dog in an animal shelter, they would denounce as unbecoming of a civilized country.

as pointed out earlier in this thread a lot of the people sweltering in these tents are innocent. if you don't care about that, you are not a real american. i repeat, if you don't don't care about that YOU ARE NOT A REAL AMERICAN.
i wish the supporters of this glib bastard in arizona would get arrested for something they DID NOT DO and then, because they could not afford a good lawyer or a bribe, had to spend a couple of months in this rotten place.

i promise you they would never feel the same way about liberalism again.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
No we should bend over backwards to get cable TV, nice big cells, comfortable beds, air conditioners, hot food 3 times a day, entertainment centers, sport centers, computer classes and other BS for someone who just murdered people. Oh yeah that's the American way kill people and live like you never dreamed of.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Man, it’s so easy to say, “to hell with ‘em.” There should be a HUGE difference between incarceration awaiting trial and convicted felon. I have no desire to coddle perpetrators of violent crime (not to mention those “white collar” types that steal millions), but the idea of subjecting those awaiting trial and those convicted of relatively minor offenses to that kind of treatment is beyond barbaric. It’s this type of thing that should make all of us shudder. Makes it a little more difficult to have respect for the system, and it's a little scary to see how many people don't seem to have a problem with it.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
So educating people locked up is BS? Dont forget 99 percent of those inmates will be released at some point in time. Wouldn't you rather see those people released back into society with at least a GED or better yet a 2 year degree so they have a better chance to make it in an honest living?

As far as paying for their education goes, wouldn't it be cheaper than paying for their repeated incarceration and their continuing drain on society? Wouldn't it be cheaper than paying for their welfare benifits if they do manage to stay out of jail? Wouldn't it be better to offer college training at least for inmates that can afford tuition so they can pay for their own education?

I dont know about Arizona but here when you are released from a county jail they boot you out the door with no money from the county. My state will give state prisoners 100 dollars and a bus ticket out of town but after the little money they give you is gone, the ex-con is basically thrown out to the lions. If he or she is uneducated how is that person going to take advantage of programs that help with post incarceration and reintroducing people back into the main stream when they cant even read?

I'm sure this jail we're talking about in Arizona is even worse because when the inmates are released, they must pay for their 40 cent a day meals. I wonder if when people are released from his jail that are found not guilty after trial, they must pay for their fine room and board too?

All this about cable TV and a nice air conditioned room are nosense at least in this state and I would think the same goes for most states. Most of the rules about requiring cable TV and things like that are for the Federal prison system, not state prisons or county jails.

As I said before there is no cable TV or air conditioning (in Texas state prisons), prisoners must work for free in Texas state prisons) or have no privleges at all and all their accumulated good time benifits are taken away never to be seen again and they are locked in solitary confinement. How is that doing easy time when the temperature in the cell is 120 degrees 6 months out of the year even for the ones that work for no money at least 5 days a week?

Why is it that states will spend billions of dollars on building prisons to lock up people for drug offenses, offer them no education behind bars, boot them back on the streets with little or no money, and expect them not to return to jail?

Why is it these same states that spend billions on prisons spend very little if any on drug treatment, promoting education behind bars, and mental health treatment for their citizens?

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
TCN good questions at the bottom of your post. I suggest "follow the money". (Not that it's a conspiracy or anything).

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Liberals like Ace don’t understand that going to jail should be a BAD thing, you know, to actually DETER crime.

We should shower our criminals with love and compassion to rehabilitate them. Maybe give the cute little puppies and cotton candy.

This man is a genius. Why? Make jail a terrible thing, people wont want to go there. The only way to guarantee you don’t go, is to not break the law. Pretty simply huh

And what about those 'criminals' that didn't receive a fair trial? Those 'criminals' who couldn't afford to get a good enough lawyer to get them off the exact same crime, a millionaire can get off with a hot-shot lawyer. What about those people?

What about the innocent people in jail and prisons? Now don't deny that they exist, regardless of what percentage or number, there ARE innocent people in jail.. you can't treat them like that. They don't deserve that.

I'm sure they aren't all murderers and rapists! (If they were I would hope for higher security).

These people aren't just criminals, many of them are also victims. Victims of a society that puts 80% of its money and assets into the hands of the ritchest 2%. I think you would find that if they were given the same opporunities, many of them would never have committed the crimes they did.

If you keep a hungry man starving, he will do what it takes to feed himself [and his family].

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Hey, Arizona is a fun place. I'm glad i;m out of there now.

I couldnt live with their inhumane politics. I felt like a prisoner in my apartment and the bosses beat you into submission which is why people there walk around like zombies. And i thought it was the heat

I betcha one of two people there have done time for one thing or another...Thank goodness i never did. I did throw a lit cigarrette out of my car window one day
I beleive thats a terrorist act now.

Silly things like people driving around and fining you for having crabgrass...Geez...
No wonder they need tent cities...

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
You know the guys' gotta be a real pig if DGTEMPE and I agree on him!!

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
DGTEMPE says:

Silly things like people driving around and fining you for having crabgrass...Geez...

That's not an Arizona thing, that's a City of Tempe ordinance. Big difference.

BTW, if you're interested in a song that talks about Tempe, go to www.pailliotet.com... and download (if you have broadband, it's big) the video "Old White Republican Mormons from Mesa"

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Off: I lived in Tempe, i know its a town ordinance...

I'm overwhelmed that we agree
The man is an oinker.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by AceOfBase

How naive could you be? These people need help, not to be thrown into prison camp conditions. Has anyone considered the idea that the criminals thrown in these facilities are victims of poverty? Do people even consider solving the real issues at hand over punishing the victims of a poorly run nation anymore? I have spent my life living around Europe, th United states and Asia, and evrywhere I go the u.s. is a topic of disgrace, embaressment and comedy to everyone i seem to meet. Perhaps if instead of sitting smugly in your middle class homes in your 'wonderful', 'god smitten', prejudicd and behind country giving praise to these fascist bastards with their nazi tchniques, you could pay attention to the real issues. This is precisely why the states is a joke to the rest of th world, and people like you are the reason.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join