It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 9 Iraqis Suffocate Locked in Back of Police Van

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Iraqi security services are being criticised after 9 Iraqi bricklayers suffocated in the back of police van. The incident began on Sunday when one of them received a gunshot wound from crossfire and his 11 workmates took him to hospital. Iraqi commandos arrested then beat them before leaving them in the back of a police van for 14 hours where 9 of them died.

Nine Iraqi bricklayers detained by security forces on suspicion of involvement with armed fighters have suffocated to death while held for more than 14 hours in a police van.

Three other suspects, who survived the ordeal of being locked up in a van in the sun, were taken to hospital on Monday morning where they were to be interviewed by officials who are investigating the case, an Interior Ministry official said.

Al Jazeera.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Sheer incompetence !

But it also raises questions about what kind of police force Iraq is going to be left with when coalition forces finally do leave.

Hardly a beacon for the Middle East.

[edit on 12-7-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 04:56 AM
link   
How can You Post News from a BIAS Source such as Al-Jazeera.Net?

Its probably just a Hoax Anyway!

Anyway, sounds Scary...

They were probably Innocent in the First Place.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
How can You Post News from a BIAS Source such as Al-Jazeera.Net?

Its probably just a Hoax Anyway!

Anyway, sounds Scary...

They were probably Innocent in the First Place.

The same way somebody else can post news from a BIAS source such as CNN or FOX.

There's no reason to believe it's not true.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Same story from the BBC:

news.bbc.co.uk...

The Iraqi Police are gaining a reputation for prisoner abuse and it isn't a good sign for future stability.

They are the constant target of attacks so a lot of them probably see the abuse as some kind of vengance, even if the guilt isn't clear, which it isn't in this case.

[edit on 12-7-2005 by kegs]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Al Jazeera is actually quite a good source.

It's not a question of bias, more a question of regional priority with Middle Eastern stories being more prominent in the same way British stories are more prominent on the BBC or U.S stories on CNN.

Almost every Al Jazeera story appears in other sources. I have a number of news sites on my favorites including Al Jazeera.

But if you're so blinkered that you won't even look to compare how stories are written and you assume Al Jazeera is pro-Al Qaeda mouthpiece because they are independent and arab (You'd be very wrong) here is the story on the BBC.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Damn !!! Kegs beat me to it !!!!

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   

But it also raises questions about what kind of police force Iraq is going to be left with when coalition forces finally do leave.

Hardly a beacon for the Middle East.

Accidents like this happen all the time even in the U.S. and Europe, I think it's hardly an indication of a coming abusive police state in Iraq, although of course that could possibly happen. Hopefully extreme things like being locked in a van for 14 hours will diminish once Iraq quiets down.

Anyway, it is a shame.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 06:06 AM
link   
12 innocent bystanders dragged from a hospital, beaten at a police station and left to suffocate in the back of a police van for 14 hours in the Iraqi summer sun.

An accident ????

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

There is a difference though Val.
Fox is among the worst news networks currently on TV, where CNN is one of the better and more objective news networks.

I am not sure where the arabian news channels stand, compared to "our" news channels though.
Let's hope they're at least better than Fox.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I mean people who die in police custody, I admit that this is a very extreme example.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

I was just being Sarcastic!

I use Al Jazeera.Net for my News Source all the Time - but I also get attacked ALL THE TIME, for using a Biased News Source.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1
12 innocent bystanders dragged from a hospital, beaten at a police station and left to suffocate in the back of a police van for 14 hours in the Iraqi summer sun.

An accident ????

And why not?
Seems such things happen quite frequently in the Middle East region.
Is this anything new.
It happened under Saddam. I did not see any of you creating a topic addressing those occurances.
Interesting that it is being brought up now.

seekerof

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by kegs

The Iraqi Police are gaining a reputation for prisoner abuse and it isn't a good sign for future stability.

Gee, prisoner abuse...where have we heard this before? Sounds like they've learned from the best. Sad comment for the future.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

It happened under Saddam. I did not see any of you creating a topic addressing those occurances.

What happened or did not under Saddam is not in question here. The U.S. supposedly went in to Iraq to make it better for the people, not worse. Or did they?

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Yeah, Right - and Another Accident!

Just like the Italian Agent who got Shot at US Checkpoint.

And just like many Other Incidents that were called, Accidents.

I am sure they just Forgot about the 9 Prisoners and after several Hours they said: "Oh My, it was an Accident!"

[edit on 12/7/05 by Souljah]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysLearning

Originally posted by Seekerof

What happened or did not under Saddam is not in question here. The U.S. supposedly went in to Iraq to make it better for the people, not worse. Or did they?

I concur.

This happened on Sunday and it's just emerged therefore it is current news. What happened Under Saddam, though of concern it not at issue.

Once no WMD were found in Iraq after the fall of the Saddam regime the sole pretext for invasion was to remove a regime that did exactly the same things as are being described here.

Where is the progress ? Isn't that a reasonable question.

The country is in no better state than before the invasion when they had UN sanctions against them. Those people no longer have sanctions yet they still don't have water and electricity outside the green zone.

But that was not the point of me posting this story. I didn't consider the wider questions it raised.

I'm sorry but saying it happened before or it happens elsewhere is not good enough.

We've had many reasons for the invasion.

Saddam was involved with 9/11 ~ False !

Saddam was harbouring Al Qaeda terrorists ~ False !

Saddam was an immediate threat to his neighbours ~ False !

Saddam had Chemical and Biological weapons ~ False !

Saddam had "Yellow Cake" Uranium from Africa and had an advanced Nuclear program ~ False !

Saddam was a horrible dictator who made life for people of Iraq intollerable ~ True !

Life in Iraq is better now Saddam has been deposed ~ False !

That last one will be the determinating factor on whether history views this whole escapade as a success.

So far the U.S and the coalition have been found wanting.

The only justification left for the warmongers is that Iraq should be "A shining beacon of democracy and good governence in the Middle East".

When are we going to see that ?

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1

Saddam was a horrible dictator who made life for people of Iraq intollerable ~ True !

Part true, part false: Saddam's rule was secular, not fanatically religious. Women had the most rights of any country in the Middle East. The people had free education to university and free healthcare.

The people have suffered more from U.S. sanctions and U.S. bombings/resulting depleted uranium then they ever did from Saddam's cruel dictatorship!

I say its Time for Bush(and Co.) to Pay the Piper

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Not quite as bad as the "insurgent" prisoner abuse.

However, to bring out something that the politically correct don't want to hear, perhaps it's a cultural thing? Fairness and law and order weren't practiced under Saddam and in regimes past.

All people may be born equal, but life shapes some to be better than others. Time shapes cultures and societies as well. I do not believe all cultures are equal, nor do I believe all cultures are beneficial and have a right to exist. Nazi-ism was a culture. Apartheid was a culture. Radical Islam is a culture.

Originally posted by kegs
Same story from the BBC:

news.bbc.co.uk...

They are the constant target of attacks so a lot of them probably see the abuse as some kind of vengance, even if the guilt isn't clear, which it isn't in this case.

[edit on 12-7-2005 by kegs]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysLearning
Time for Bush(and Co.) to Pay the Piper

What a load of crap! When in doubt always take the word of terrorist scum. You can't go wrong with folks who'll murder you and 3000 of your friends because of your religious beliefs or lack thereof.

[edit on 2005/7/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I think this speaks more to the atmosphere in the area than anything else. Why would the force beat and detain, unreasonably so imo, if they didn't think they were in personal danger? Maybe they were insurgents, maybe not, in their minds. That's not what I'm argueing. What I'm saying is that people that are in charge of detainees have a different mindset. They look out for themselves and each other. In the West, heads would roll over something like this. Personally, I'm appaulled but I live here, not there.

top topics

join