It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: London's Push For Surveillance Plan.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillyTheCat
The UK is already the most "watched" society in the civilised world, with more CCTV cameras per head of population, than any other country throughout Europe and the US.

There are new CCTV system trials underway in several towns and cities in the UK using face-recognition software that are able to scan and pinpoint a specific individual from a crowded street of thousands...this combined with the proposed biometric ID card legislation and the current police DNA database (where incidentally you are required by law to give a sample even if you are a 'suspect' or questioned for a process of elimination from a line of enquiry)...security from fundamentalists?? Double-plus good!!

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Of course, in order to circumvent all the monitoring of phone calls, text messages and emails, the criminals and any terrorists will just resort to verbal communication, face to face, like it used to be before the technology came along. That renders all the proposals pointless.
I have no criminal record and a clean background, which I need for work, so I can go wherever I want. However, only I know what my intentions are and no amount of state interference in my life can determine that.... or can it

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Your free will and intentions would depend on your 'compulsory' education..young minds are incredibly impressionable, and how else can you ensure a further generation of compliant non-questioning drones who will accept whatever lies are fed to them...

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   

posted by Timski
the current police DNA database (where incidentally you are required by law to give a sample even if you are a 'suspect' or questioned for a process of elimination from a line of enquiry)...

Timski, yes they do take DNA, but they are required to destroy any record of it by law if you are not charged or not found guilty of the offence.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The next generation will not feel the difference.

''I remember the war''...''I remember when I could leave the front door open''...

Now it will be, ''I remember when there were no cameras and only paper money''... ''We could walk the streets without all these eyes watching us''...

The new generation would say, ''Were you not woried about getting mugged or bombs going off?''

We will say''In those days we did not have to''.

Man will turn into a hardware product, barcoded/ RFID, charged for transportation and distance travelled, make sure it works, intelligence level the process power, satellite navigation-where he travels. Lots more I bet that still need inventing.
Good luck for next generation at least it will be the norm and the babies will all be tagged in the first pictures on the mantle piece. So sweet...

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
in that case you'll have a list of sanctioned barcode numbers from which to choose the name of your son/daughter...

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This is happening now the people at GCHQ and Mendwith Hill already moniter your phone and internet.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Of course, in order to circumvent all the monitoring of phone calls, text messages and emails, the criminals and any terrorists will just resort to verbal communication, face to face, like it used to be before the technology came along. That renders all the proposals pointless.

Unless of course you take into account the fact that they would have been picked up on a CCTV camera moving from A to B. If they are under suspicion of anything they will be tracked.

I personally don't see the harm from more CCTV cameras on the streets of the UK.

To those who argue that it is an invasion of your privacy or surveillance, come on, who are you kidding?
Do you really believe that your existence is so important that you are going to be singled out from the crowd for no reason?
Who cares whether there is CCTV footage of me going into a shop to buy some underpants (and there is, believe me)?
Basically, if you're up to no good, and you're seen doing it via CCTV camera, you deserve all that the law can throw at you.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Irma, i'm guessing that you wouldn't mind being stopped and searched by a squad of police officers because you happen to fit a particular racial or ideological profile...your mobile/landline/emails monitored in case you may be up to something that goes against the grain of the mass opinion...are you really willing to forego a gradual erosion of your civil rights to come and go as you please, to be free of intrusion by the powers-that-be because you may have a differing opinion of the status-quo, to give-up your right to join others of a like opinion and make your voice heard in public that a certain course of action goes against common-sense and the general well-being of the nation as a whole (whether your voice will be heard or opinions listened to is another matter) but we have the rights to do this ....for now

Offensive (my opinion) as individualsd such as the cleric Al-Hamza, or BNP's Nick Griffin may be, there will always be those who will oppose WHATEVER you're viewpoint may be..to monitor those with differing views is an erosion of basic civil liberty...what the sheer amount of CCTV cameras amount to is that you as a citizen and individual, cannot be trusted

[edit on 3-8-2005 by timski]

[edit on 3-8-2005 by timski]

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by timski
Irma, i'm guessing that you wouldn't mind being stopped and searched by a squad of police officers because you happen to fit a particular racial or ideological profile...your mobile/landline/emails monitored in case you may be up to something that goes against the grain of the mass opinion...

No, I would not mind being stopped and searched, either if it were random or because I fit a stereotype. They would never find anything more suspect than a packet of cigarettes or a mobile phone in my possession so I would be free to go, every time. A little inconvenience for a potentially longer life.

If my Emails or telephone were monitored, so what. I have nothing to hide or fear. There would be no reason for me to be of interest to those doing the monitoring. They would be looking n listening for key words, none of which would likely crop up in my emails or conversations.

I am one of sixty million residents of the UK. I'd have to be quite unlucky to be singled out for no reason, don't ya think?

2un

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
This Severely disturbs me... All privacy what so ever would be "saved and catalogued" in databases that companies could access when ever they would feel like?

This also scares me, It seems that Big Brother is getting closer and closer to what it's goal is ...

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bulldog 52
This is happening now the people at GCHQ and Mendwith Hill already moniter your phone and internet.

Absolutely mate - UK has always had powers of detention etc that were the envy of dictators around the World.

Only difference is we have a free and vibrant press (and Galloway, Campbell et al) and our tradition of protest to keep them in check.

No-one's that bothered here - it's just more of the same

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join