It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now this may sound a little weird but i have an idea....

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
As far as space propulsion is concerned: nuclear and laser.

www.lanl.gov...
www.lanl.gov...
www.lanl.gov...

www-phys.llnl.gov...
www.daviddarling.info...

If we want to be revolutionary we must set up programs in order to make this a true feasible and economic possiblity. So therefore it will be necessary to find Martian private companies willing to contract with the government in making this a reality.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I wonder if tarrif free trade, and free landing/docking rights would encourage the entrepeneurial types to help us?

Also, would the nuclear dump into the actually bring about the results you think?

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I couldnt help but go back and look for my repsonse earlier in the forum after you had talked about me not chiming in.

posted on 24-7-2005 at 09:36 AM Post Number: 1559358 (post id: 1581251)

Theres my post. Everyone was talking about being emperor, and I was talking about trucking water into space.

The Devil is in the detail men. You cant overlook these things. I know it wasnt a flame, I just wanted to point out it was the " 2nd " time I chimed in. It does however look as though the thread is making a correction.

Peace

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Excuse if I repeat any ideas I'm not up to reading 8 pages.

First what do we need to make Mars liveable?
We need air, water, food, waste recycling, industry, law and entertainment

Second how do we get there?
First we would need a space elevator to an oribital station above earth that ships and materials could be launched from.. free of the expence and hazard of leaving orbit. And a duplicate on Mars, in the most viable build area.

Is terraforming an option?
Yes scientists have been working on a freezing tempuature "black" fungus that could be grown at the poles where water might be presant. It would absorb the sun slowly melting any frozen water.. This would not be the fastest though... to start of we would require habitats either large or small self contained living areas, tHat used air and bio waste processing as well as thin atmoshere protection from other elements. There are many promising studies involing these already for use in long voyage space travel.

What types of industry could survive there?
Extraction and recycling of useful products for both use there and at home. At first it would be like an old time gold mine community but over time the entertainment, medical, service and non needed but otherwise wanted industries.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Wouldn't solar flairs kill the fungus?

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I suppose it would depend on the fungus and how prone mars is to these events given it's thin atmoshere.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnusualMe
I suppose it would depend on the fungus and how prone mars is to these events given it's thin atmoshere.

I'd say it would depend on the lack of a magnetic field. The atmosphere doesn't stop solar flares, and Marsian is so thin.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lord Vilmur
I wonder if tarrif free trade, and free landing/docking rights would encourage the entrepeneurial types to help us?

Also, would the nuclear dump into the actually bring about the results you think?

Bad idea. Let's not put any added pressure on the martian people. The way to lure people to Mars and create a booming business is to intice and persuade them to stay here, not to just come back and forth. The idea is to eliminate all taxes and only enact a duty on all ships and their cargo coming into the martian terrain.

I think it would be wise of you to eliminate all taxes and only run a lottery and government bonds as the means to fund the government.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty

Bad idea. Let's not put any added pressure on the martian people. The way to lure people to Mars and create a booming business is to intice and persuade them to stay here, not to just come back and forth. The idea is to eliminate all taxes and only enact a duty on all ships and their cargo coming into the martian terrain.

I think it would be wise of you to eliminate all taxes and only run a lottery and government bonds as the means to fund the government.

Frosty, the way I meant that was the people who develop the method of transport we use to get to Mars should be allowed free docking rights. We will need supplies from Earth for sometime after we get there. Maybe Branson's Virgin Galactic would be interested in holding a monopoly on Earth to Mars transport.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
www.lunarrepublic.com...

Everyone take a look at this, they have an interesting way to raise funds.
Also take a look at this site about nuclear powered space flight
www.nuclearspace.com...

Let me know what you think.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by Lord Vilmur]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY
I couldnt help but go back and look for my repsonse earlier in the forum after you had talked about me not chiming in.

posted on 24-7-2005 at 09:36 AM Post Number: 1559358 (post id: 1581251)

Theres my post. Everyone was talking about being emperor, and I was talking about trucking water into space.

The Devil is in the detail men. You cant overlook these things. I know it wasnt a flame, I just wanted to point out it was the " 2nd " time I chimed in. It does however look as though the thread is making a correction.

Peace

As I said, the people involved in the conversation steer the conversation. Actually it may have payed off to split this into two seperate conversations.
One scientific and one world modeling, but anyhoo.....

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty

Frosty, the way I meant that was the people who develop the method of transport we use to get to Mars should be allowed free docking rights. We will need supplies from Earth for sometime after we get there. Maybe Branson's Virgin Galactic would be interested in holding a monopoly on Earth to Mars transport.

The problem lies in the fact that corpotations may agree to a deal to develop components which make it seem as if a large continency of companies have contributed to the making of docking methods (in order to receive this exemption). These methods will undoubtedly be updated the same way the original wood sail ship eventually evolved into a steel oil powered vessel or nuclear powered. So the number of corps recieving such monetary by passes may be overwhelming to the point of bankruptcy.

The people who will make this docking system work are the Martian people and/or the future residents. These are the people who have the most a stake and are therefore the most likely to develop such methods.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I have found the answer to the problems of meat and animals for food on the colony: www.newsdesk.umd.edu...

By the way, can I be the minister of entertainment? We need to do something to prevent us from becoming bored.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by klain
i'll come if i can help "improve" the population

and why stop at mars we could populate more and more planets the more our species becomes diverse with years of evolution and then we could even interbreed with all the different type of human races to create one very versitle species

[edit on 9-7-2005 by klain]

I read a sci-fi story awhile back that by the year 2040 (?) the human species would be brown. The hero was of intermixed origins (reads as undecipherable) but certain traits were still maintained as special groups. Now does your post mean we could breed with an independent species( of bipedal homo ??s), or just terran species ? If the former could we still mainain a Terran (human) identity (with Mother Earth as point of origin) without feeling the need to impose our culture (will) upon them because we feel we are superior? If the latter we would just be homogenuous, right?

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Well then, I've been a way for a while, but still willing!

On the issue of no taxes, it would make the people happy, but we are going to need as much money as possible. But, I agree that people need an incentive to settle somewhere else. Incoming and even outgoing goods hould definately have tax on though. But i'll leave that to you money guys!

[edit on 14-12-2005 by Zanzibar]

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Wow I thought we had all abandoned ship here. Okay we need to look at transportation of goods and people, anybody knoweledgable about the privitization of spaceflight?

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I have heard that bombing mars with CFC's ironically would possibly kick start life again. But man it would be hella cold at night! I would rather build a death star like planet that could sit in between earth and mars. This way we dont have to worry about natural disasters too much. Of course we would have to all work together ( japan, russia, etc ) and plan on some way to safely produce oxygen and a greenhouse.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
if there are no taxes, how will you fund the government, military, etc?
a commercial government(as in corporations running the show)

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Wow, there sure is a lot going on here. To support it all would you need to setup some power generating stations? And network/communications services? It might be a good idea to bring along someone with a lot of networking/telecommunications experience.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
It might be a good idea to bring along a great genetics engineer/scientist, as well. Looking ahead, it might be possible to genetically engineer the need for breathing oxygen out of our species. You know, maybe we could have occasional oxygen drinks, or something like that, instead of breathing air. Also, it might be possible over time to genectically transform our bodies to suit the environment, rather than worry about teraforming. I mean, who wants to have to suit up every time you go outside? Plus, at some point it would become like a jail sentence being confined to a pod all time. I can imagine that the suicide rate might be high at first. Bottom line is, if we're going to live on Mars, then we need to become Martians.

I kind of see this as the next big evolutionary step for our species, and the time has come to take it. It's a lot more than just exploring new frontiers; it's a matter of survival and transformation.

After a generation or 2, and the original settlers have all passed away, their children will have grown up without all the Earthly things their parents were familiar with. All they will know about Earth will come from books, old photos and movies, and the artificial environments that were constructed during colonization. When that time comes, what will be left is the aliens us Earthlings once dreamed about a long time ago. We will be the aliens.

Life sure is full of surprises ...

[edit on 12/19/2005 by netbound]

[edit on 12/19/2005 by netbound]

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join