It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now this may sound a little weird but i have an idea....

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lord Vilmur
Due to the fact that Cydonia is the only possible tourist region I felt it was the best bet for a regional tax area. So the planet keeps ownership, and the revenue generated benefits all districts. As for a directorship ask Frosty. Trade ministers discretion will apply here.

Then we should put the base of our govnerment in Cydonia since we know that it's the safest living area on mars.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I think Mars could do with a space elevator , think of it, it would be much easier to build on mars because of low G, we could use lighter materials like Magneisum alloys(Home made martain steel) .It would save an awful lot of money getting resources into orbit and decrease risk of loss of life during entry and take off from the atmosphere.

And because of high raditaion levels I suggest the second tir of coloneys should be built into rock faces and cliffs, who knows what prolonged radiation exposure could have on future generations on mars.

Air transport should be conducted by blimps and airships that can be anchored in the case of dust-storms which sometimes engulf the whole planet, some lasting for months.Main coloney to coloney trasport should be done with high speed trains , mars is untouched so straight tracks can be used to optimise travel time.Its alot easier to locate trains in case of an emergency as opposed to rovers and Mars buggys which can break down and/or run out of fuel and even get lost due to human error.

I also think it would be a great time to start bringing more water to Mars.
Deflecting comets to a collision course into the poles of Mars would be a good start.Comets will bring water in much larger quantities and much faster than we ever could.Thats about all for now I'll let you know if i come up with anything else.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Has Pavonis Mons been claimed yet? If not, I'd like to add it (and perhaps the rest of Tharsis Montes?) to my dominion.

Since the place is pretty iconic, I hereby declare myself the first patriarch of House Pavonis

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merkeva
And because of high raditaion levels I suggest the second tir of coloneys should be built into rock faces and cliffs, who knows what prolonged radiation exposure could have on future generations on mars.
Into cliffs? No. Bad Idea. Tall tall buildings would be a better idea. And we could at the base of each building add tons of magnetic matter to make the radiation as weak as it is on earth. And we don't HAVE to live on the first 10 floors of the buildings. If the buildings all support eachother, we don't have to worry about stability.

Air transport should be conducted by blimps and airships that can be anchored in the case of dust-storms which sometimes engulf the whole planet, some lasting for months.Main coloney to coloney trasport should be done with high speed trains , mars is untouched so straight tracks can be used to optimise travel time.Its alot easier to locate trains in case of an emergency as opposed to rovers and Mars buggys which can break down and/or run out of fuel and even get lost due to human error.

If we lived in really really tall buildings, dust storms wouldn't be a problem. Although we should only use trains for long distance type things. Otherwise we can use air shuttles. The ones that use at airports. (Assuming we're building the cities as really really tall buildings)

I also think it would be a great time to start bringing more water to Mars.
Deflecting comets to a collision course into the poles of Mars would be a good start.Comets will bring water in much larger quantities and much faster than we ever could.

I gave the solution quite a bit ago, the north pole is about 75% the size of Antartica, we can use that ice for water. Then once we're stable we can fill the oceans with water. That would stop the dust storms and etc. Then we can build on the ground.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Parallelogram
Has Pavonis Mons been claimed yet? If not, I'd like to add it (and perhaps the rest of Tharsis Montes?) to my dominion.

Since the place is pretty iconic, I hereby declare myself the first patriarch of House Pavonis

Just claim Tharsis. We're doing this by region.

So Tharsis goes to Parallelogram, unless we need it for resources, but we most likley wont. We might however use Tharsis as a port type place. It's quite strategic.

I hereby declare myself the first patriarch of House Pavonis

I hereby declare myself the first patriarch of House Dioscuria

[edit on 28-8-2005 by Vinci]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Well to be honest most of the poles are solid co2 and comets will up the nitrogen(which we will need) level significantly by prolonging their entry.

Mars also has a nitrogen issue, there is just not enough of the stuff there. The most efficient method for obtaining it would be to �Aerobrake� ammonia rich comets in the atmosphere. The ammonia is made of hydrogen and nitrogen, the hydrogen will react with O2 to make water or float away, the nitrogen will stick around. A single comet could add several dozen millibars.

www.redcolony.com...

The tech used shield from raditation , is it possible for us as humans to do this at this moment in time ?

What happens to planes in the sky when a planet wide dustorms kick up? How big will the death toll be ? Will all air travel be suspened(storms can last over a year) ? At least in big air ships we can anchor to the ground with heavy cables, mars's weather is erratic and unpredictable.

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

The space elevator would also solve the problem of getting into space durning dust storms, oh and really save us some cash

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merkeva
Well to be honest most of the poles are solid co2 and comets will up the nitrogen(which we will need) level significantly by prolonging their entry.

Mars also has a nitrogen issue, there is just not enough of the stuff there. The most efficient method for obtaining it would be to �Aerobrake� ammonia rich comets in the atmosphere. The ammonia is made of hydrogen and nitrogen, the hydrogen will react with O2 to make water or float away, the nitrogen will stick around. A single comet could add several dozen millibars.

www.redcolony.com...

The tech used shield from raditation , is it possible for us as humans to do this at this moment in time ?

What happens to planes in the sky when a planet wide dustorms kick up? How big will the death toll be ? Will all air travel be suspened(storms can last over a year) ? At least in big air ships we can anchor to the ground with heavy cables, mars's weather is erratic and unpredictable.

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

The space elevator would also solve the problem of getting into space durning dust storms, oh and really save us some cash

The dust storms might not happen once we inhabit it, you don't see dust storms in Nevada, well, not huge deadly year-old ones at least. Mars, of course, is a different planet, but not by much.

And if we live in (reinforced) tall buildings, the dust storms will be below, where the people who live there (poor) will have to come up. But we'll see when we get there.

And who said we're going to use planes? Planes have caused more problems than solved. I say we should use trains on the surface. On the surface you barely have any air resistence, so the trains, in return, could go much faster. They're safer, use less gas, more effecient, no need for airports, no need for air comission zones, etc.

We'll only need about four airports? For the spacecrafts to and on. One on each quad of the planet. Then we can also make those train stations, so we could quickly transfer people. Also, there is a lot of Ocean on Mars. Not as much as Earth, but still quite a bit. And in the middle of the oceans, are continents half the size of Australia or so. So those would be great cities/spaceport/trainstations.

And yes, maybe we could use air transport for very large destinations, but our aircrafts are useless in Mars. We don't know THAT much about mars. Maybe the aircrafts wont take off, or maybe it's too windy 30 thousand feet in the air, etc. etc. But very big blimps is a plausible idea. Or maybe large platforms carried by big baloons? Because incase of a large wind storm, they could land in one of Mars' very many sea's. Over flat land, I believe that trains would be more effecient.

I've made a map of Dioscuria and the places in it.

If you want a colour, post. I've gotten red so far :-P

[edit on 28-8-2005 by Vinci]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Can i have blue?

Ok heres my proposal for the managing of manpower. I'm going to take a "Civ 3" approach on this one.

As with most colonies, the first 20 years are the most crucial, since it is sort of like a reflection on its resilience for survival. Thus i'm only going to talk about the first 20 years of the mission on mars.

The first shuttle there would be the constructors, as in laying down the foundation and the facilities for themselves and future colonists. I'm going to go with low lying buildings, bunker-like ones, due to Mars' erratic sandstorms, and its inability to burn off any asteroids hurling its way. They would also have to build the space lift, to make it easier for entry and exit from mars.Thus, from first day, most of the manpower would be allocated towards constructing the foundations.

My idea of foundations(I'll leave it to the development minister(if there is one) to thoroughly think on this:cool
:
-Space elevator
-A large low lying bunker-like building housing the following 5 facilities
-Deep underground hydroponics hall
-Housing for the first and future colonists
-The primary communications port
-The government mainframe(offices,halls etc)
-A granary

Once the foundations are done, its time to move out of the shell and into the wild. Some of the manpower will be shifted to growing food, others into the space port and communications thingie, and the rest will still be in construction. I'll continue my proposal later once i've throughoutly thought abt it. Its abit communistic, the manpower plan, but its for the better of the colony.

Any comments?

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
As Minister for Research and Advanced Concepts ,I'm with you on the space elevator all the way,we can build the cable up in space and lower it down and then fix it to the ground.Carbon nanotubes sound like a very good material to make the cable out of , very stong and atomicaly accurate. At the bottem we should have a hub where trains can come in and shuttle cargo to where its needed.

< br />

Trains should operate on maglev technology as should the system for raising the elevator.Trains could also be operated in sealed vacuum to reduce resistance to zero improving speed.

Train carrages could be designed to interchange with the elevator reducing time for unloading/offloading.

(All images of Space Elevator
© Olivier Boisard 2005 - All rights reserved.
Scientific consultant : Jean-Yves Prado
Source )

[edit on 28-8-2005 by Merkeva]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
First you bombard the planet's poles with CFCs to distroy the ozone and melt the Ice caps. Eventually, (within twenty years) The ozone will patch itself. We can then begin seeding The plant life will natually convert any CO2 in the atmosphere to Oxygen. After that, it's just a matter of landing and seeing what to do next.

I think one big question is, why did Mars get this way to begin with? Ya might want to know that, before we start raising generations of Humans there.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toelint
First you bombard the planet's poles with CFCs to distroy the ozone and melt the Ice caps. Eventually, (within twenty years) The ozone will patch itself. We can then begin seeding The plant life will natually convert any CO2 in the atmosphere to Oxygen. After that, it's just a matter of landing and seeing what to do next.

I think one big question is, why did Mars get this way to begin with? Ya might want to know that, before we start raising generations of Humans there.

The only problem is that Mar's magnetic field is not strong enough to sustain an atmosphere quite yet. You need to figure why there is a magnetic field situation disabling such an atmosphere. The problem may lie within the planet which does not have a rotating core, such as earth. It would be wise to first dump nuclear material into the core of the planet, hoping to ignite it and then playing it by ear.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Are there any mountains on Mars? I think I would like to own a mountain... or can I claim the Dark Blue portion of that map?? Yes, I am henceforth the Mayor of Mmabatho, land of dark blueness.

My geneticists have just made a breakthrough in Chlorophyll implantation; will keep you posted.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Update House of Dioscuria:

If you want a part, post which colour you want. or u2u me.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Im in if I can be the General of Aerospace defense (just small attack ships like fighters and bombers) of coarse this is up to Zanzibar also i know a lot about military vehicles and weapons so i can help with R&D

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I want to claim the Mesogaea area as land of the house of the Scorpion

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by PizzaCrust
If we travelled to mars, how high would we be able to jump? I'm aware the gravity is less intense as it is on Earth. I also would like to think your guys' theories on the growth of human beings living in less gravity. Would we be able to grow taller because of the less intense gravity pulling our growth down? Or would we become small and skinny from the less amount of muscle usage we use?

PizzaCrust, there is 2.5 times less gravity than here on earth. Enough G's to keep you on the ground, yet let you jump about 3 times regular height.

Vox

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
hi, can i inhabit the light blue area of the map for the house of the Phoenix?

i kind of see a range of more advanced buildings the longer the colony is in place, firstly, it could be little more than a bio-dome large enough for a few dozen people, but as materials are mined a few additional ones could be added, untill the martian technology will allow for completely independant, sectionable areas/floors of a super structure,

on a side note, does anyone think it would be worth putting all of the information onto a web page for a more straightforward read?

also, i've had a thought about goods, people and other such things,
at the moment things are brought to phobos for an inspection (kind of like customs on earth) and then the ships travel on from there, but what if, Phobos is the only point where travelling ships are allowed, rather than touching down and having to take off again, the before mentioned space-planes could ferry people between phobos and other "air-ports" based at strategic locations on the planet, thus limiting the amount of completly un-authorized local space-air traffic

what do the ministers think about this?

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Being a musician, laughmaker and generally speaking very social and talkative, I would like to become Minister of Culture and Entertainment! We can't work together nor alone, without a little laugh, music and other groovy activities ;o)

Besides; I would probably come up with some funky ideas when it comes to anything. Monty Python, creativity and coffee tends to produce that sideeffect ;o)

Edit:

I've decided to take the bright blue area and make the hill a popular ski-resort and spa! Also an internetcafé, restaurant, bar and pub. I'll just bring along all the guys I've worked with the past 5-6 years and we have all that competance settled

[edit on 1/9/05 by phlake]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vox
hi, can i inhabit the light blue area of the map for the house of the Phoenix?

I didn't see that one, Vox, but if it's fine by you I'd like to propose sharing?

Vox

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
i'm not opposed to sharing, it's plenty of space for 2 families to live, love and work

I've been thinking, and although there is a king (and long may he live
), is there a possibility of a council of sorts running to determine the general day-to-day running of the city's seeing as at the moment, each city is a bit like their own state.

also, i remember that it was said that the northern pole is reserved for businesses, i'd have to imagine that they'll be building their own settlements there rather than having workers commute in every work day

also, how long are the days on Mars?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join