It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now this may sound a little weird but i have an idea....

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty

Originally posted by Lord Vilmur

Originally posted by 12 12 2012
Now I know this is going to be a little creative, but that is how planets are conquered, right. Since our ATS points are not going to be used for banking purposes here on ATS (link to thread - www.abovetopsecret.com... ) we could use them on Mars as currency...I vote myself finance minister. All in favor....
Here is a sample of how the economy will work -

250 points = one liter of oxygen
250 points = 16 oz of powered milk product
5000 points = one visit to "2012's house of ill-repute and rib joint"
15000 points = yout taxation to be paid to the finance minister (see me for details)

Interesting idea, (is your name some sort of tertiary statement?) Frost as Minister of Finance, what do you think of this idea? Perhaps it would allow us to see who is doing the most to "build" our colony

We need to find something to back any form of currency before issue opf the currency. This would encourage trade from off-worlders. It gives our investors the sense that if, which will never happen, our economy collapses their investments will be secured as they are backed by a valued commodity. Such as it was with gold in the US, which eliminated its gold standard in 1933, oldly enough the same year the US brought the rest of the world into its depression.

I like the idea as it gives ATSers high a higher sense of value and responsiblity towards growing a strong Martian economy.

[edit on 21-8-2005 by Frosty]

Unfortunatley, it looks like the best commodity items available on Mars will be air and water.. I wonder if the red planet holds any gold or platinum?

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
First, the sun would have to be big and burn earth, so we can live on mars. Scientists say that the sun would grow large in a million years. sad though. We would not be able to be one of those living on mars.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helpisnear
First, the sun would have to be big and burn earth, so we can live on mars. Scientists say that the sun would grow large in a million years. sad though. We would not be able to be one of those living on mars.

Zanzibar how are all these disidents getting past your secret police?

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   
If you ask me, the terraforming of Mars (or whatever planet we happen to set our sights on) will be the most significant event since the dawn of the human race.

Only by spreading beyond Earth can we secure our species indefinitely against disasters that could otherwise wipe out humankind entirely... global ice ages, near-earth objects like comets and asteroids, and silly human contrivances like nuclear war would no longer threaten to destroy every living person.

Of course, this supposes that we won't one day invent a weapon capable of destroying an entire solar system... but I think that will take a while longer than getting Mars in habitable condition.

So count me in... I suppose that I have some skills that could be put to use, maybe in a hydroponics lab?

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 06:06 AM
link   
A year ago I actually wrote my own form of government, it was a mix between communism and democracy. It was about 30-40 pages long. Where did I put it? I wish I knew. But, I'll figure it all out again and we can decide.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Parallelogram
If you ask me, the terraforming of Mars (or whatever planet we happen to set our sights on) will be the most significant event since the dawn of the human race.

Only by spreading beyond Earth can we secure our species indefinitely against disasters that could otherwise wipe out humankind entirely... global ice ages, near-earth objects like comets and asteroids, and silly human contrivances like nuclear war would no longer threaten to destroy every living person.

Of course, this supposes that we won't one day invent a weapon capable of destroying an entire solar system... but I think that will take a while longer than getting Mars in habitable condition.

So count me in... I suppose that I have some skills that could be put to use, maybe in a hydroponics lab?

Excellent i think we will have needs for someone in hydroponics.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Count me in, I'll be a social adviser.

Hehe...*ahem* haha...*ahem* sorry, bad cough. Hahaha...*ahEEM*...mBWUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA, okay sorry.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Given sufficient space and a good amount of water, hydroponic crops can be produced in amounts that could feed a colony of almost any size. Of course, it won't be cheap; an undertaking this large would require an expensive system to automate plant feeding and light exposure.

One could probably draw enough water from the Martian polar ice caps to maintain a hydroponic system of this size, but a large amount of plant food would also be necessary; we'd probably have to either produce it ourselves or recieve regular shipments from Earth. Harvesting and processing the crops will require some manpower, as well... and the colonists would do well to take dietary supplements to replace nutrients not available from plants.

But if all of these points are addressed, I am fully confident in the potential of hydroponics to feed even a burgeoning Martian colony

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Don't foget to feed your plants Prozac.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Thanks for the article, Frosty-- it would appear that there's some really interesting and potentially useful research going on there.

If these scientists succeed in their plan to fuse edible plants with extremophile sturdiness, the implications for crop-growing on Mars will be great. Rather than investing millions in vast, pressurized indoor greenhouses and hydroponic apparati, we could just plant outdoors or in a relatively simple pressurized greenhouse.

If plants can be engineered to thrive in Martian soil... imagine it! We could grow enough crops on Mars to feed whole nations!

(edit: Vinci-- excellent avatar. Bill Hicks pwnz j00, and continues to do so even from beyond the grave.)

[edit on 25-8-2005 by The Parallelogram]

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Thanks

Also:

Should we bring animals? See how they survive? We have to, for food.

What should each individual person bring?

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
The only problem I have with using animals as a food source is the amount of space it would require to raise, feed, kill, and process them-- it might be cheaper to ship meat in from Earth, unless we secede and cut off economic relations

We'll need it one way or the other, though; I can only go so long without a burger. And you're right about the other bit too, we should probably bring a few along for scientific purposes at least.

As for personal belongings, I guess that'll depend on how much space is available per person. As long as I can bring a computer, some books, and a small hydroponic lab of my own, though, I'll be set

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Good-day. I hereby appoint myself as Minister of Reform, as some serious changes need to be made to this plan of colonisation:
We are looking for solutions to this problem in all the wrong places. We are trying to come up with ways to change the environment of Mars to better suit the Human Being. Nay! We must change the Human Being to better suit Mars!

With genetics at the level it is at right now, we could surely do some alterations to the Human that would allow us to live on previously 'uninhabitable' places. So far it seems the major concern is that of a sustainable food source (Ok, air is pretty important too). The solution: we should in some way engineer Man to be able to harness the Power of the Sun! We should make our skin into a type of Solar pannel which could convert Solar energy to basic sugars; Photosynthesis! We could transfer chlorophyll to the human skin or something... this is probably why Aliens are green you see, they have harnessed the Power of the Plants!
Yes!

That solves the problem of food (well... theoretically at least. We will put our geneticists to it immedietly). Respiration is our next concern... perhaps if human beings become much like plants, we may be able to respire in much the same way; using CO~2 instead of O~2 (although plants to consume O~2 in the dark)... hmmm

[edit on 27-8-2005 by The_Modulus]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Modulus
...we should in some way engineer Man to be able to harness the Power of the Sun! We should make our skin into a type of Solar pannel which could convert Solar energy to basic sugars; Photosynthesis! ...

Photosynthesis (in plants) only produces glucose. Glucose is sugar. We can't survive on only sugar. We need fat (believe it or not you low-fat freaks!), meat, protein, minerals, vitamins, and all that jazz. But, we can always take the majourity of those in pill form.

As for the air problem, your using nitrogen idea is obsolete. We don't know if there's nitrogen on Mars. Enough to live anyway; therefore we should genetically reform trees into using whatever is on Mars' surface (monoxide maybe?) for food. Which it will (hopefully) still produce oxygen. That's a good Idea. So if we live near a forest, or plant a HELL of a load of trees. We should be set. Then there's the trouble of keeping the air in the atmopshere. But I've heard Mars' atmosphere is as dense as our's, so we should be okay.

As for water, well. Mars already has it planned for us. If anyone has taken a look at the Mars maps yet:

ronan.locias.com...(illustrated).GIF

The green area is where we're going to have to live. Because currently noone has a better idea.

For water we'll have to travel to the north pole, right now there is a rather large body of frozen water. We can melt that into water, boil it, and use that.

So once we have enough atmosphere, and radiation resistence, we can melt the north pole and fill the empty oceans on Mars. But first we must place the City near the pyramids/the face in Cydonia.

I therefore apoint myself in charge the Mayor of Cydonia.

Meaning the office of Social Advisory is open.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Ooo Ooo can i be the minister of manpower?Please..

I'll decide which way the colony shall grow towards and where manpower shall be allocated. I dun think there can be any choices towards wad jobs you wanted, as in a colony, its for the whole, and not just for yourself.

PS:This reminds me of the game Alpha Centuari..

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by cheesepie
Ooo Ooo can i be the minister of manpower?Please..

I'll decide which way the colony shall grow towards and where manpower shall be allocated. I dun think there can be any choices towards wad jobs you wanted, as in a colony, its for the whole, and not just for yourself.

PS:This reminds me of the game Alpha Centuari..

(a quick aside alpha centauri was agreat game!!)

I must remind some that zanzibar as defense minister makes first recomendation as to who holds what job.

next I alone as King of Mars appoint ministers. It is possible for any early adopter to gain standing as a royal house. all the person needs to do is select an area of Mars and develop it into a usable region. please resumit your plan as a localized option, and during the first lection you may find ypurself holding the position you desire.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Good-day. I hereby appoint myself as Minister of Reform, as some serious changes need to be made to this plan of colonisation:
We are looking for solutions to this problem in all the wrong places. We are trying to come up with ways to change the environment of Mars to better suit the Human Being. Nay! We must change the Human Being to better suit Mars!

With genetics at the level it is at right now, we could surely do some alterations to the Human that would allow us to live on previously 'uninhabitable' places. So far it seems the major concern is that of a sustainable food source (Ok, air is pretty important too). The solution: we should in some way engineer Man to be able to harness the Power of the Sun! We should make our skin into a type of Solar pannel which could convert Solar energy to basic sugars; Photosynthesis! We could transfer chlorophyll to the human skin or something... this is probably why Aliens are green you see, they have harnessed the Power of the Plants!
Yes!

That solves the problem of food (well... theoretically at least. We will put our geneticists to it immedietly). Respiration is our next concern... perhaps if human beings become much like plants, we may be able to respire in much the same way; using CO~2 instead of O~2 (although plants to consume O~2 in the dark)... hmmm

Very interesting hypothesis. Please claim an area of Mars and declare a house name so you can be added to the house of lords. We will then subsidise youe research.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vinci

...we should in some way engineer Man to be able to harness the Power of the Sun! We should make our skin into a type of Solar pannel which could convert Solar energy to basic sugars; Photosynthesis! ...

Photosynthesis (in plants) only produces glucose. Glucose is sugar. We can't survive on only sugar. We need fat (believe it or not you low-fat freaks!), meat, protein, minerals, vitamins, and all that jazz. But, we can always take the majourity of those in pill form.

As for the air problem, your using nitrogen idea is obsolete. We don't know if there's nitrogen on Mars. Enough to live anyway; therefore we should genetically reform trees into using whatever is on Mars' surface (monoxide maybe?) for food. Which it will (hopefully) still produce oxygen. That's a good Idea. So if we live near a forest, or plant a HELL of a load of trees. We should be set. Then there's the trouble of keeping the air in the atmopshere. But I've heard Mars' atmosphere is as dense as our's, so we should be okay.

As for water, well. Mars already has it planned for us. If anyone has taken a look at the Mars maps yet:

ronan.locias.com...(illustrated).GIF

The green area is where we're going to have to live. Because currently noone has a better idea.

For water we'll have to travel to the north pole, right now there is a rather large body of frozen water. We can melt that into water, boil it, and use that.

So once we have enough atmosphere, and radiation resistence, we can melt the north pole and fill the empty oceans on Mars. But first we must place the City near the pyramids/the face in Cydonia.

I therefore apoint myself in charge the Mayor of Cydonia.

Meaning the office of Social Advisory is open.

Cydonia is the only hands off area, the Finance/Trade Minister Frosty directly controls that area.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Cydonia hands off? It's going to be the city! It's the only place we have full research available!

I claim Dioscuria. It's right next to Cydonia.

www.student.oulu.fi...

----------

Can I be Minister of Cities? Since I know all the building sites and such? And Canyons?

[edit on 28-8-2005 by Vinci]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vinci
Cydonia hands off? It's going to be the city! It's the only place we have full research available!

I claim Dioscuria. It's right next to Cydonia.

www.student.oulu.fi...

----------

Can I be Minister of Cities? Since I know all the building sites and such? And Canyons?

Due to the fact that Cydonia is the only possible tourist region I felt it was the best bet for a regional tax area. So the planet keeps ownership, and the revenue generated benefits all districts. As for a directorship ask Frosty. Trade ministers discretion will apply here.

Quote:I claim Dioscuria. It's right next to Cydonia.

Claim a House name and state a proposal for the region and it is yours!

[edit on 28-8-2005 by Lord Vilmur]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join