It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge ground markings around Area 51

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Hi, I started a thread a while back about some strange and huge ground markings around Area 51, like huge triangles that were drawn agross mountains, star symbols, cross, etc. The bright users at Livejounal.com found several of them, and I have credited the finders.

Claims:
- The markings are created by an intelligense; they are too geometrical perfect to be natures creation
- The symbols is not a sattelite image digital error, or a joke by someone with access to the maps; several sattelite image banks show the same markings
- At least some of the markings are not randomly places; some of the markings are places along the long-/latitude lines, like the base of some of the triangles
- Some of the markings are placed in difficult accessible areas; some are drawn on mountains while nearby(and perfectly flat) lakebeds nearby are not beeing used as a drawing surface.
-They are all around the Area 51 military base

The markings are availible on public maps here:

Triangle #1 zoom in

Triangle #2 (Found by blackannis238 at livejournal.com) zoom in

Triangle #2 from DigitalGlobe (Found by svin at livejournal.com)
svinosite.spb.ru...

Circle (Found by blackannis238 at livejournal.com) zoom in

Cricle from DigitalGlobe (Found by svin at livejournal.com)
svinosite.spb.ru...

Circle with cross (Found by blackannis238 at livejournal.com) zoom in

Cricle with cross from DigitalGlobe (Found by svin at livejournal.com)
svinosite.spb.ru...

Circle dug over by bunkers (Found by talettale at livejournal.com) zoom in

Star (Found by cypa at livejournal.com) coordinates unknown.
ifun.ru...

All suggestions what these strange and huge markings are used for are welcome in this thread, thank you.

[edit on 6-7-2005 by anorwegianguy1972]

[edit: fixed Google map links]

[edit on 8-8-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   
i would love to take a look at them but for some reason whenever i use google maps, as soon as i ttry to get out of it my computer freezes. i can use it but to have to reboot after each picture is rather anoying.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 03:31 AM
link   
For the actual .jpg ones do you have the coordinates? The first one especially looks little odd, shopped? And whats with all the weird lines that look like text going down them? At any rate those are strange. Aren't some for like bomb testing or something?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxblackoctoberxx
For the actual .jpg ones do you have the coordinates? The first one especially looks little odd, shopped? And whats with all the weird lines that look like text going down them? At any rate those are strange. Aren't some for like bomb testing or something?

The .jpg onces found by Svin from livejournal.com are all the same onces that are from Google maps, only from a different source, namely DigitalGlobe.

The text on the maps thay says "@2005 Google" or "TerraServer.com" are copyright watermarks imprinted by the coorporation owning the maps to prevent people using the maps indescrimenetly.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Well the place is a bombing range you know…
So these look like tagets to me.

The one that looks like a Star of David is a mock up of a missile site, I would guess either for practice setting one up, or for pilots to practice spotting one and bombing it.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
Well the place is a bombing range you know…
So these look like tagets to me.

The one that looks like a Star of David is a mock up of a missile site, I would guess either for practice setting one up, or for pilots to practice spotting one and bombing it.

That is a possibility, but several issues vote against bombin targets:

-The mere size or the markings; these are huge formations and it would (in my opinion) be pointless having this big targets unless you are fireing from very far away (like outer space). Even targets for fighter jets are no more then like 5 meters in diameter, and these triangles are spanning a kilometer
-There are no bombing craters; if someone went to all this trouble making these targets it is strange that one cant see any craters on them
-Alignment; why align a bombing target accoring to north/south?
-Shape; never seen triangular bombing targets, they are usually circular.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Ok, but I don't get it... What are the triangels for...?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 04:22 AM
link   
All of these have previously been on ATS, infact the two jpg ones were talked about today and yesterday.

They're all in the bombing range area I thought, so I think they're just targets.
Either that or they're just art to look good. I don't see what else they could be.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by anorwegianguy1972
-There are no bombing craters; if someone went to all this trouble making these targets it is strange that one cant see any craters on them
-Alignment; why align a bombing target accoring to north/south?
-Shape; never seen triangular bombing targets, they are usually circular.

The satalitte pictures don't update every minute of the day. Some photos are a year old, so the targets could've been bombed after the picture was taken.

The alignment, I don't see how it's north/south. It can be in any direction because it's a triangle.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
The alignment, I don't see how it's north/south. It can be in any direction because it's a triangle.

The base of the triangles are placed directly on the east/west line and points directly against north.

[edit on 6-7-2005 by anorwegianguy1972]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 04:52 AM
link   
And tilt your head and it will face in another direction.
As I said in my before post, it points in whatever direction you're looking at it from.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 04:56 AM
link   

As I said in my before post, it points in whatever direction you're looking at it from.

I'm sorry, I don't really understand your reply. These are all images taken from a sattelite, i.e. tilting once head will not change their geographical direction. Please clarify.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Could they have a use for checking / calibrating the optics on satellites?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by anorwegianguy1972

I'm sorry, I don't really understand your reply. These are all images taken from a sattelite, i.e. tilting once head will not change their geographical direction. Please clarify.

I'm no good with words. What I'm saying is, even if the satellite was facing in the opposite direction then it would seem that the marking is facing north, although it would be facing south or west or east depending on which way it was facing.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   

What I'm saying is, even if the satellite was facing in the opposite direction then it would seem that the marking is facing north, although it would be facing south or west or east depending on which way it was facing.

Thats a valid thought, I see what you mean.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Defcon and CITID were correct.

The circles and crosses are used for targets. They are large because not all bombs are guided and munitions under development may not be accurate in the early phases.

As for the triangles they are used to calibrate satellites as you can see they have a number at the top of them to identify them. Also notice how the sat pictures you are looking at all have the triangles perfectly upright. Meaning the sat that took the photos seems to be calibrated well. Somewhere else out they you will find a checkerboard pattern that is also used to "cal birds".

-IG

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
If you go West of Area 51 you will find what looks like an abandoned base, there are some circles above it with large triangles in them. It conects to the highway.

How can they deny Area 51 existance?

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   
If I created the marks on the ground it would be for some general use such as bombing targets.

As for the markers that align to lat long - perhaps for pilots as a backup if their instruments arent working properly - and the triangles that point north could be just that - markers pointing north for pilots to get barings.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorance is a plenty
Defcon and CITID were correct.

The circles and crosses are used for targets. They are large because not all bombs are guided and munitions under development may not be accurate in the early phases.

As for the triangles they are used to calibrate satellites as you can see they have a number at the top of them to identify them. Also notice how the sat pictures you are looking at all have the triangles perfectly upright. Meaning the sat that took the photos seems to be calibrated well. Somewhere else out they you will find a checkerboard pattern that is also used to "cal birds".

-IG

Ok, I will buy that argument. Thank you for your reply.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Cool! I worked that out myself!

Presumably they can check the actual distances on the ground and the measured distances from the satellite feed and correct / build in any error.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join