It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humanists seek platform to halt religious advance

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Yes, well done.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Odium
He was religious, but he made sure to keep it out of his views. He even did a speech in October of 1798 where he addressed the fact people do not have to be religious to be moral.

It is a rare person who is spiritual without being religious. It is also a sad fact that many who are religious are not spiritual or moral.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I say half of ATS are like that already, many want all discussions about religion abolished and they hate it being brought up. So I guess maybe times are moving forward to get people thinking the same ideas to rid of world from religion.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
There seems to be a larger amount of people here than ever before about expressing of having a world without religion, of course if God shows on your door step, does the faith stop or has it come full circle? But then again the Bible does speak of those that have seen God's power at work but they go out of faith again regardless.

But in general people would like a religious free society, we all do and two ways to achieve it, one is to overcome the world through faith and the afterlife gives you freedom because you have God there with you. The other way is for man to get on without faith or a belief and in doing so having knowledge they have no second life and they remain dead. Not only will that be the case anyway for choosing that attitude but it will be the case if God exists anyway, but with christianity people who turned away from God are more likely to be ressurected after 1000 years of peace and will be judged for what they done wrong in the world and not what they done right.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I'm one that would like a religion-free world.

Why do Christians think that Atheists are necessarily immoral?

What exactly does being "spiritual" mean?
And why do you think it is important; seemingly as a substitute for being religious?

Why does Christianity and Islam have such a preocutpation with death?
Can't you just be occupied with enjoying your life to the fullest?
How many hours a day do you think about death?
What a waste! Everything dies. Get used to it.

Ohhhhh, yes, if religion did not promise this glorius afterlife, they would not have you as a paying customer would they?

Christianity has run its course. It was the religion of the age of Pices.
We are now moving into the age of Aquarius and there will be changes.

It has been some time now, and I have forgotten where I learned this, but it was said that there would be some archeological discovery that would be announced that would shake the world and destroy Christianity, and maybe Islam....I don't recall exactly.
And no there is this thing about May 25, and the Histroy Channel.
Maybe this is it.
I'm not holding by breath tho.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

On one side we have a bunch of humanist who are trying to keep the government from forcing your weird cult beliefs on them. On the other side we have you and people like you saying all mankind should have to live by your weird cult beliefs.

Those are my sentiments exactly. Far be it from me to tell you that you can't worship as a Christian, but don't force your Christian beliefs on me.

There was supposed to be a separation of church and state for a good reason. I don't personally like what the Christian government has done to this country. I'd like to see some changes, but Christians rarely support atheists at the polls. The decisions as to the fate of this country will continue to be made by the Christians.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
In Christianity the way into God is through faith with Christ, and it's very important part of being saved by him, maybe the message is too hard not to promote once people start believing and they find peace from within. But as the Bible says there will be those who try and put their own docrines in place and its these people who bring their own destruction, but at the same time bring the wrong view.

It's not hard to be saved, just believe in Christ but it can mean a gradual process of mind and body and soul trying to prefect its defects which may put people off along the way.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by The time lord]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by The time lord

Well... religion has had its turn at halting human and technical progress. It is only natural I guess as more and more people readily accept evidence that, for a simple instance, the Earth is a sphere, we are composed of atoms, our emotions are a result of our brain activity instead of spirits... on and on until you finally get to a threshold to where religion presents you with fewer concrete answers than science does.

Besides, if there is a spirit or a god, then science is an expression of that also, as well as humanism I suppose.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join