It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humanists seek platform to halt religious advance

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Humanists seek platform to halt religious advance

news.yahoo.com...

Quote: from the article
GENEVA (Reuters) - Humanists and atheists from East and West meet in Paris this week to forge a common platform against what they see as a growing threat from religions and religious politicians to secular states across the globe.

Yet over the past decades we have seen the slow intrusion of religion into public life in dozens of countries, in India and Nigeria, in Russia and Slovakia, in Pakistan and Bangladesh, in Britain as well as in the United States."

What do you think? With all this political correctness coming to power are we getting prepared for abolished religious rights or watering down of all religion.

Is the world paving way for a clean slate so that the anti-christ can take up and make his own, everyone will have to agree with him and give up their religion or at least the world governments will be athiest based by nature for these future leaders to hand the keys to the wrong person.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
There is some truth to your appraisal. With the erosion of spiritual values, it makes it easier for the forces of discarnate evil to work through the morally corrupt and become stronger and more influential in government and in society in general.

The United States was founded on the principle of freedom of religion, not freedom from religion - where it is now headed. The government is not headed toward a theocracy, as some would have us believe. Instead, the forces of secular humanism and atheism are getting stronger and more vocal.

[edit on 5-7-2005 by Paul_Richard]

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Glad some one reads my posts. Guess its too early yet and competes with many posts out there.

To paul richard; may I ask how did you find this post because for some reason I could not find it untill I searched it again even if I wrote it.

Secondly without being too rude I like the logo you have but it can be distracting when reading, Im not being funny maybe its me its the animation it sort of drags you in hypnotically.

I agree religion was free and now its becoming a crime.

We are being denied the right to feel there is a God out there its in our blood and to deny this thought and oppress it is a great human spiritual tradgedy. You can not say God does not exist or say sorry your spiritual awarenesss is some caveman ape type evolution psycology. Its the fact they can say we evolved in two seconds in an explanation like the making of a mcdonalds burger.
But when we try to explain God it takes it takes a bit of story and a why instead of a quick fix statement. How did we get here? Is that a spiritual feeling or scientific question? Not all of us are meant to reach god its a narrow path.

[edit on 5-7-2005 by The time lord]

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Wanna know why todays religous institutes are crumbling? BECAUSE THEY ARE IRRELEVANT!!!!!

We don't need them anymore. We don't need someone who has sex with donkeys to tell us that the earth is flat, because we know it is round. We know how lightning is formed, we know!!!! We aren't ignorant goat slappers anymore, we are smart, therefor religon is no longer needed.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Paul, this is one of the few times that I find myself in respectful disagreement with you. I do think there are many, many people who would like nothing better than to see a dogmatic Christian Theocracy established in the USA, and actively work towards that goal.

I have to say the inappropriate (IMO) involvement of the legislative and executive branches in the Terri Schavio issue scared me like few things have. When I see the harm that religious governance has done and is doing elsewhere, I find that it is the single biggest fear I have for my country.

Because religion is irrational and illogical, it can be use to justify actions that are irrational and illogical. I don't trust that. Our Government is irrational and illogical enough as it is.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Think it's about time. Religion is fine - zealots are not.

Anything that fights back against the tide of religious slush, 'christian' broadcasting corporations, fundamentalists etc that prey on the minds & pockets of the weak is to be welcomed.

We don't need saving thanks!

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
If you take away the big religions we will spawn many pagan occult societies and get back to where all social curruption started. We need it its part of our make up it makes society tick. As a Bible believer its not as easy as yes and no it still has arguements to reckon with. the Bible does say the world is like a circle resting apon nothing and before people thought the world was flat. The Egyptians knew the rule of Pi and the center of the mass of the worlds land and curviture. The people afterwards in the 2nd millenium thought the world was flat because either they never read the Bible properly or because they could not read. We as man have became more ignorant and less intelligent. We can not even lift the 1000 tonne stones of Lebanon that the ancients cut and lifted. We are the ignorent generation not them. We have more people thats all to do the work for us and make technolgy and industry happen.

I agree some religions are backwards and have their heads stuck in the past. But a lot of Christianity is based on the future too, it too says there will be a great falling away of the faith that was written before it even got big for it to have a great falling away as we have now. So people are still keeping an eye out for prophecies, it seems that a lot of things are adding up to the fullfilment. This latest story strengthens the belief. Everybody has a view and what ever they are its your free right to do so.

Evangelicals definately ruin the reputation with their healing suggestion psychology which people fall for and yes people do really fall too. Amongst the Christians, politicians and leaders you will always find wolves in sheep clothing.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
OK, let me see if I get the jist of this:

On one side we have a bunch of humanist who are trying to keep the government from forcing your weird cult beliefs on them.

On the other side we have you and people like you saying all mankind should have to live by your weird cult beliefs.

Well I know who's side i'll be taking in that little free-for-all.

I have no problem with you following your own religion and sharing it with the world. (Actually as a spiritual anarchist i do, but thats another letter) The problem occurs when you start trying to force me to live by your silly idea's of the Creator of us all. I have my own silly ideas thank you and don't want you telling me how to live.

Your weird cult beliefs belong in your church and in your home, they have absolutely no business in a nation of laws. Reason and common sense are far more important then dogma and scripture, regardless of who's dogma and scripture it is.

YOU are the oppressor and the tyrant here.

Ofcourse, this is just MHO.

Wupy

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
First off, I'm not sure why this is in the NWO forum.

Secondly, we all need a moral base to interact with each other and live peacefully. Frankly, if a person is not able to find this peace in themselves, some institution has to scare it into them. You either have religion or law. And where law doesn't affect, where does morality come from? Though, as others have said, I don't think it's fair to push any religion on someone, including the religion of atheism.

If you see an old woman crossing the street who keeps falling from heavy groceries, you don't have to help. Why should you? I think religion can be useful for situations such as these. You don't have to be scared into helping others, at least not of a God, but religion does offer a base, such as through words of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Anyway, I could keep rambling, but I think you get the picture.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Though i've abolished all religions from my life, I will have to admit they still serve a purpose in this world. People have to be married, people have to be buried, people need a place to turn to for spiritual support when their world crumbles around them. These are admiral things that religion does for the masses. The very thought has often made me question my life as a spiritual anarchist. It made me question it enough so that I joined a Unitarian Universalist fellowship.

I still firmly stand by my statement that religion has absolutely NO business in government though. Political power in the hands of religion has ALWAYS led to tyranny. Political power in the hands of religion will always lead to tyranny.

Wupy

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
if you don't personaly find a need for religion fine that is your BELIEF. it is your RIGHT to hold that BELIEF. just as it is my RIGHT to believe in MY RELIGION. after all they are both beliefs of a type. just because i believe in something does not automaticaly mean that you believe in it and vice versa. in fact being a "huminist" or atheist is in all reality just a substitution for religion, almost as if it WAS a religion. the two are realy little differant from each other.

originaly posted by James the Lesser

We don't need someone who has sex with donkeys to tell us that the earth is flat, because we know it is round. We know how lightning is formed, we know!!!! We aren't ignorant goat slappers anymore, we are smart, therefor religon is no longer needed.

thanks for your normal way of spouting YOUR RELIGIOUS VIEWS jamesl. that is just as intollerant as people acuse religion of being. in YOUR BELIEF you have stated that since YOU believe that your beliefs are correct that we should get rid of religion. how is this ANY differant from a christian saying that THEIR religion is the only right one., or a jew, musslem, or any other claiming the same thing? that is what i meant about believeing in non-religion being like a religion unto it's self. it suffers from the same things. all it is is another belief. can you PROOVE that my God does not exist? if it can not be proven then it is a matter of faith. so my faith tells me that not only is my God real, but many other things are true that YOU do not believe in, which in turn is a matter of FAITH for you. since both are a matter of faith you have actualy just proven how important faith is as a driveing force for humans. you are even PREACHING your belief to others.
for you your anti-religion IS your religion.

now many claim that we have no need for religion. that we know enough now that we have no need to explain the unknown that it is outdated. well what DO we realy know?we certainly have THEORIES about things. some that we accept as fact because it at least SEEMS to work. how do we realy know they are true? untill they for some reason are found not to be true or even SEEM not to be true then we accept it as fact. in all honesty humans are totaly reliant upon faith.we have faith that when we turn on a lightswitch then a liht will turn on. that when we hit our car's brakes we will stop. that is faith and belief. without some sort of belief what are we?

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Pope Benedict has declared the Enlightenment "one of the greatest evils to have befallen mankind" and vowed to fight secularism. (from the source)

Now let us all take a moment and have a long hard think about this.

Did you do it?

Yet?

What about now?

O.K. good, glad you've joined us back on planet Earth - which for the record, is round and for the Record the Catholic Church refused to comment on it either way before we found out. (Good thinking.)

All these people want is to be able to live in a World where they can have their say. Where no Religion is placed above another. Where nobody can have thier view placed above another - before it is judged on its merit.

How can we say that this is a bad thing?

We have seen throughout that having a Government which goes by Religion only causes harm, the Dark Ages, Crusades and Holy Roman Empire are all examples of this. When people do "Gods" work, yet end up killing millions of innocent people. If it is Gods work, he can do it himself - he is able to after all.

We can see it with the Middle East, where Religion is just breeding more problems. Where people blinded by Faith are willing to throw their life away and kill themselves and innocent people.

Religion should not have a say in Politics nor should they control the Government. They like all people should re-reprosentend and have their views heard but not above that of others. If we do such a thing it is unfair to say it will be your Religion and your version of that Religion.

After all, only one group of people have the right to be classed as America's True Religion and that will never be Christians.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Ahhh yes the spirit of antichrist is almost reaching it's peak. It's only a matter of time where Christians will be the new Jews and will be persecuted because of their faith in Jesus Christ. Bring it on this just means the Lord is on his way.

[edit on 5-7-2005 by JerryFletcher]

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by JerryFletcher
Ahhh yes the spirit of antichrist is almost reaching it's peak. It's only a matter of time where Christians will be the new Jews and will be persecuted because of their faith in Jesus Christ. Bring it on this just means the Lord is on his way.

Ummm...dude, the Jews don't believe in Jesus. Jesus and I have more in common then you and Jesus, Jesus wasn't a Christian and neither am I.

As for the persecution of christians, your already claiming that on a worldwide scale. You always have. The Christians claim they are the martyrs of god whild oppressing and murdering anyone that disagrees with them. Your a member of one seriously sick cult.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy

Originally posted by JerryFletcher

Ummm...dude, the Jews don't believe in Jesus. Jesus and I have more in common then you and Jesus, Jesus wasn't a Christian and neither am I.

As for the persecution of christians, your already claiming that on a worldwide scale. You always have. The Christians claim they are the martyrs of god whild oppressing and murdering anyone that disagrees with them. Your a member of one seriously sick cult.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Love and light,

Wupy

Doesn't get better than this. LOL

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Is the world paving way for a clean slate so that the anti-christ

All that from simple humanism? I should think not. Gosh, how dare anyone be concerned about religious leaders who constantly twist religion and mix it with governance.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord

How can you say this? The world powers is in the hands of religious fanatics like GWB wich is evangelist.

It is us non-belivers who have been suppressed for too long. It's about time we tell you belivers some facts.
We humans have existed for 195 000 years at last according to the latest data from archeology. But how old are the religions?

Islam; about 1400 years
christianity; 1700 years ('christianity before the consils of Rome was different than today so christianity is NOT 2000 years old as you all belive. Belive is another ford for fantasy ...
jews; about 2500 years. The jews claim it is more, but like with the christians the jews count of years is based on belive and not facts.

This alone debunk all these religions as fake, because if their god did exist their religions would have to have been 195 000 years old. They are too young to be true belives.

Another facts;
one live well without the belive of any god. Actually, by my own experience I can safely say that stop beliving in Jesus as a god was the best thing that happened in my life. I feel more free now to do what I think is best rather than keeping to what priests or words in a book say. Christians feel guilty as their book tells them they are sinners. When I rejected the christian belive I was released from this feeling and thus was rewarded with happyness I never before had.

Rejecting the existing religions (too young) does not mean there are no 'god(s)'. If there are god(s) they have not had contact with us directly lately.
There are marriages between couples of different religions, despite of their parent's protests. I reject the existing religions but there may be 'something' out there influencing things. And I belive these marriages are arranged to tell us something. Most of you other people just don't receive what this message is.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Glad some one reads my posts. Guess its too early yet and competes with many posts out there.

To paul richard; may I ask how did you find this post because for some reason I could not find it untill I searched it again even if I wrote it.

Just go to your "My ATS" link at the top right of your window. You'll find it there easily.

Secondly without being too rude I like the logo you have but it can be distracting when reading, Im not being funny maybe its me its the animation it sort of drags you in hypnotically.

Dragging one in hypnotically can be a good thing.

We are being denied the right to feel there is a God out there its in our blood and to deny this thought and oppress it is a great human spiritual tradgedy. You can not say God does not exist or say sorry your spiritual awarenesss is some caveman ape type evolution psycology. Its the fact they can say we evolved in two seconds in an explanation like the making of a mcdonalds burger.

But when we try to explain God it takes it takes a bit of story and a why instead of a quick fix statement. How did we get here? Is that a spiritual feeling or scientific question? Not all of us are meant to reach god its a narrow path.

I have my own ideas on God but that would be off-topic.

[edit on 6-7-2005 by Paul_Richard]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Hi Ambient Sound,

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
Paul, this is one of the few times that I find myself in respectful disagreement with you. I do think there are many, many people who would like nothing better than to see a dogmatic Christian Theocracy established in the USA, and actively work towards that goal.

As you probably already know, I am not a Christian. But I perceive that the fear of a Christian theocracy forming in the US is unfounded. The conflict, as I see it, is a struggle between those who have spiritual values and those who think that having them are nonsense. One does not have to embrace the idea that Jesus is God in order to have spiritual values, but the need to have them is very important -- especially in government.

I have to say the inappropriate (IMO) involvement of the legislative and executive branches in the Terri Schavio issue scared me like few things have. When I see the harm that religious governance has done and is doing elsewhere, I find that it is the single biggest fear I have for my country.

No one should have to pass through starvation, which is how she died. If the decision was made for euthanasia, then Terri Schavio should have been given the proper medication for a relatively painless transition. Euthanasia, so I've heard, is legal in the UK and in Belgium. (Anyone from those countries: please correct me if I have been misinformed.) Dr. Kervorkian should be released from prison and allowed to continue his service to the terminally ill.

So this isn't a religious issue to me, but a spiritual one.

Because religion is irrational and illogical, it can be use to justify actions that are irrational and illogical. I don't trust that. Our Government is irrational and illogical enough as it is.

Most people are not strong enough to embrace spiritual values without religion. Take away all ethical religion and society will quickly degenerate into a barbaric state.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
It is not yet legal in the U.K. and should be for those who wish to die in such an event where they would be left brain damaged.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join