It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hellfire missiles

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Actually, have you ever heard the A/MH-6 Little Bird? Good lord! We had some out here doing an exercise one time, I was at the other end of the taxiway from the helipad, where normally you could hear a helicopter no matter which way the wind was blowing, and I could occasionally barely hear the Little Birds. And there were four of them. And when I say barely, I mean if I strained really hard, and the wind was blowing just right, then there was the tiniest bit of sound that made it to where I was. One of the guys said that under the right conditions, you would hear them coming about 10 seconds before they got there. They're operated by 160th SOAR.

The AH-6 is a MEAN little thing. It can carry two 7.62mm miniguns, or TOW missiles, or Hellfires, or 2.75 inch rocket pods.....
Ain't nothin like the sound of a mini going off. God I love that gun.

www.fas.org...

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 03:37 AM
link   
IIRC it was during GW1 that the blue on blue where an apache killed a brit warrior apc , it needed 2 hellfires to kill it.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   
26Feb91 (9) British KIA and (11) WIA when 2 x A-10A's fired Maverick Missiles at two Warrior Armored Vehicles at around 3:20pm. The British troops were preparing to blow up captured Iraqi artillery around 50 miles inside of Iraq, 100 miles north of Hafar al-Batin.

That was the only Warrior incident involving aircraft that I could find.

If I remember right, the only AH-64 Blue on Blue that caused casualties was when a squadron commander mistakenly fired on two US APCs that were where some Iraqi armor was reported to be. He called and got clearance to fire, then after he hit them, the ground commander called a Blue on Blue.

[edit on 30-6-2005 by Zaphod58]

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 04:25 AM
link   
r right :blush: - i got a little confussed with the memory

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
good info Zaphod58, M6D, Seekerof and Chinawhite.

russiankid STOP #ING UP MY TOPIC! stick to the point.

people you forgot the baddest btich of all, Leopard 2 A5/A6 1800-2000mm armor.

so I take it that even it wont penatrade a chally 2, it still will kill the crew so you'll win either way!

and by the "top" you mean the roof right? where the armor is 1 inch thick!

Seekerof still we're still waiting for your info...

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
`top` means the bits pointing upwards

top cover of the engine and top of the turret

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
... whats the best/latest hellfire???

M6D

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Well, its the milltary food chain in a way infantry-light vehicle-tank-helo etc

One thing that did suprise me however, is how fast the abrams is supposed to be, i always thought the leopard was supposed to be the fastest MBT, trading lesser armour around sides for speed, however, i guess im wrong, still, its got very nice features
shame we've never seen it in combat

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
how big is a hellfire??? if a heli can launch it then... its not so big???

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
HellFire II and the size and other such data was given in the link I gave previously, russiankid.
They will soon be replaced by the Joint Common Missile.

No luck on the Hellfire penetration values, thus far, either.

seekerof

[edit on 30-6-2005 by Seekerof]

M6D

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Both the apache and AH-1Z can carry a payload of 16 hellfires each, same as a blackhawk loaded with pylons, theyre not that big, but if you want to know more about them, here :

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
... are hellfires used on tanks only??? do they use em on ships?? troops??? other helis?

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
They are strictly heavy anti-tank weaponry, which implies that they can target anything armored on the ground: tanks, APCs, surface bunkers, SCUDS, buildings, etc.

The JCM maximizes the warfighters' operational flexibility by effectively engaging a variety of stationary and mobile targets on the battlefield, including advanced armor, bunkers, buildings, patrol craft, command and control vehicles, transporter/ erector (e. g., SCUD) launchers and light armored vehicles.

Joint Common Missile

seekerof

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
As far as I know the penetration values for the Hellfire 2 are still classified. There are many different variants of the thing. Not just for tanks.

M6D

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Somebody on here already stated there were varients, designed for ships, or clearing building floors, so i guess the answer is no, theyre multi role

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
got a link to it??? it would be cool to sink a ship with a hellfire

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
They are strictly heavy anti-tank weaponry, which implies that they can target anything armored on the ground: tanks, APCs, surface bunkers, SCUDS, buildings, etc.

The JCM maximizes the warfighters' operational flexibility by effectively engaging a variety of stationary and mobile targets on the battlefield, including advanced armor, bunkers, buildings, patrol craft, command and control vehicles, transporter/ erector (e. g., SCUD) launchers and light armored vehicles.

Joint Common Missile

seekerof

Actually some navies use the Hellfire in the Antiship role.

M6D

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
No links this time that i can remember, sorry, just google it.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
... lets say that a hellfire will miss... what will be the radius ov the... fire or w/e?

M6D

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Use the link i gave, it should tell you there hopefully.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join