It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wash. Monument: elevator ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I saw the history or discovery channel program on the restoration of the Washington Monument and something seemed a little goofy to me.

Why all the high-tech fancy schmancy stuff with the elevator window? Apparently as you ride up, the window is made of double glass panes and is filled with a gas. It's normal state is cloudy and non-transparent. As the elevator nears carved stones, triggers are tripped and the gas is charged causing it to become transparent, allowing riders to view the carvings.

This seems like a lot of trouble. Why not a just a regular window?

What was the setup before?

This doesn't seem the best way to DISPLAY things but rather a way of COVERING things up.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I have been there twice.
Never took the lame elevator.
Liked to count/recount the stairwell steps (896).

Been there?
Strange how some resort to coming up with "theories as to why" when they can not explain something factually.

My guess for the reason for the gas-filled double-paned glass is because of the pressure that is exerted on the structure and elevator by lightning strikes and from the natural pressure that the structure itself exerts.

Why would they hide anything, when riding in the elevator, when one can simply see the carvings displayed while walking up the stairwell?

seekerof

[edit on 28-6-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   

My guess for the reason for the gas-filled double-paned glass is because of the pressure that is exerted on the structure and elevator by lightning strikes and from the natural pressure that the structure itself exerts.

I see we all have our own theories.
I don't understand the pressure thing.

No, I've never been. Just saw the show and was curious.

Why not leave it transparent all the time? More likely it's just a bell-and-whistle thing. I dunno.

About everything being visible from the stairwell, on the show it looked like the window was nearly against the wall.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2nd Hand Thoughts
I see we all have our own theories.
I don't understand the pressure thing.

The issue is humidity and condensation, the elevator moves very fast, and the windows are prone to fogging.

www.nps.gov
2001: A new elevator cab was installed with glass panels in the doors to view the commemorative stones on the 180,170,140 and 130 foot levels within the interior of the monument. The cab holds 25 passengers, and takes 70 seconds going up and 2 minutes and 18 seconds coming down. The additional time on the descent is to allow for viewing 45 of the 193 stones.

www.nps.gov...

You want to see them all? Hoof it like Seekerof recommended.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
also in the .gov page:

1959: A new elevator was installed that could ascend in 70 seconds from the ground to the observation level, and descend in 60 seconds carrying 40 passengers. In the same year a dehumidifier was installed in the base of the monument to rid the problem on interior condensation.

I couldn't resist.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Strange how some resort to coming up with "theories as to why" when they can not explain something factually.

If no facts were available for any given scenario, and we do NOT come up with theories towards a why - we would never know anything.

Where would we be if Einstein never pondered theories?

It's human nature.

Misfit

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I'm still interested in how this elevator situation works. I don't think there's some sneaky reason, but does anyone know exactly how the double pane glass and gas works? Or why?

I haven't had any luck in finding any interior pictures.

NPS.org had a link to "brochures" but the link leads to nothing except a "no longer existing' message and a date of 10/19/01.

I found one picture of the new elevator on a company website and it looks like the window to view the plaqs is right against that wall.

If you've been there, are the plaqs that the elevator window passes close enough to the stairs to be viewed that way too? I'm trying to get the layout in my mind and since there's nothing online that I've found, someone who has been there is just as good.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2nd Hand Thoughts
I saw the history or discovery channel program on the restoration of the Washington Monument and something seemed a little goofy to me.

Why all the high-tech fancy schmancy stuff with the elevator window? Apparently as you ride up, the window is made of double glass panes and is filled with a gas. It's normal state is cloudy and non-transparent. As the elevator nears carved stones, triggers are tripped and the gas is charged causing it to become transparent, allowing riders to view the carvings.

This seems like a lot of trouble. Why not a just a regular window?

What was the setup before?

This doesn't seem the best way to DISPLAY things but rather a way of COVERING things up.

Does it really matter? I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble but an elevator is an elevator. It's not like they are trying to hide some national secret.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Does it really matter? I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble but an elevator is an elevator. It's not like they are trying to hide some national secret.

I'm not saying it has anything to do with lizards living under an airport or a secret air force-like base in the desert.

I'm curious and I can't find any material to answer the questions in my last post. I'm just frustrated and amazed by the lack of material online regarding the washington monument.

Memorial plaques for the fifty states are at the official site. 50 out of 188-193 (again, conflicting descriptions online). The .gov site said the others would be added. Apparently 3 years isn't long enough to commision someone to upload pictures.

And again, I've never been there. But from the footage I've seen on teevee and the one picture I found online, I simply want to know if the stones visible from the elevator are easily viewed from the stairs?

I seriously didn't think that anything was being covered up, however it is a possiblility right? I mean, when the elevator passes a plaque, is that same plaque visible from the stairs?

Anyway, everyone knows that four cameras have been placed at the observation level facing outward, so it is worth noting other additions or possible deletions.

I'm just trying to increase my factual knowledge of the monument. Any help appreciated.

[edit on 4-7-2005 by 2nd Hand Thoughts]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I live in D.C., yes you can see the plaques and unless I missed something they're the same

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I was reading this thread and looking at the drudge report at the same time, look whD.C. Monument Elevator Stuck With 35 Aboard

The Associated Press
Thursday, July 7, 2005; 6:06 PM

WASHINGTON -- Some 35 people trapped when the Washington Monument's elevator stalled about 120 feet into the ride on Thursday were freed by rescuers and walked down to the ground.

About 25 people at the top of the monument had to take the stairs down 500 feet, a spokesman for the National Park Service said.

Bill Line said a park ranger riding with the passengers radioed colleagues on the round who got help. The elevator has doors on two sides. Authorities opened one door, allowing passengers to step out onto the stairs.

A 17-year-old girl was hospitalized with breathing trouble.

The incident happened about 30 minutes before the monument closed for the day. Line expected it was to open as normal on Friday.

The monument elevator also got stuck on May 16. Twenty-five people were rescued.
at article i found referenced, Hahaha.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Us Washingtonians have had to watch the eye-sore of the refurbishment of the Monument for monthssss. Makes sense they didn't get all the kinks worked out from the get go.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Thanks for the news on the elevator problems. I've been collecting all kinds of online info on the monument. It's one of my current fascinations. I didn't think to search recent news.

Guess they were spending too much time designing the neat-o gas-filled window, eh?

Does the monument still have the ugly temporary barriers? I was reading info from the Washington mall "steering committe(?)" - citizens concerned with the restoration - about how upset many were about the underground tunnel and proposed permanent barriers.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Not anymore thank god, just a small brown wooden fence surrounding the outskirts; not as ugly as the massive opaque panels that had lined it since February.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Also on the matter of the faulty elevator:

I used old freight elevators on the job when I was in college and moved faculty computers. They never had problems. All of this "modern" trash added to old buildings and monuments is ridiculous. The Washington Monument now has a thrilling new elevator with pointless gas filled windows (paid for by citizens) and it stalls.
Good job Uncle Sam.

Sounds like a beaten up Yugo with a 5,000$ stereo system.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
It's not a gas.

It's liquid crystals.

Here's a link explaining the technology:

www.consumerenergycenter.org...

[edit on 12-7-2005 by Junkheap]

[edit on 12-7-2005 by Junkheap]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
so does that elevator only go up? When I was in D.C. about 4-1/2 years ago we received a guided tour(long story) by a secret service agent and a personal tour guide through most of the govt. buildings, it was cool because we traveled from one building to the next by means of an underground tunnel system riding in an open top rail car powered my magnetism. The tour guide said that the tunnel system was designed and built for faster transportation for govt. officials, and also as a means of keeping them out of harms way by not using the city streets. We were 3 or 4 stories underground.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Kamikazee,

I'm wondering how often the magnetic tram breaks down.

A lot of these bells and whistles sound like an important project group in a company's department. More money in the budget = more elaborate fieldtrips for the fellas.

[edit on 12-7-2005 by 2nd Hand Thoughts]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
To the best of my ability they were magnetic, or electric at least.

search it up yourself: 2nd hand thoughtless

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Huh? I was laughing at the thought of the trams breaking down, not that they are magnetic or electric or whatever.

new topics

top topics

join