It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beidou-2, world's third global positioning system

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Beidou-2 will be the 3th GPS system in service after USA and Russia.

今年,中国将成为继美国、俄罗斯之后,第三个自主拥有可覆盖全球卫星导航系统的国家

Beidou-2 GPS covers the entire Globe, it's not only for civilian usage but of course also for military purpose.

Beidou-2 consists of total 25 satellites.

4 static sats
12 medium orbit sats
9 high orbit sats

4颗静止星、12颗中轨星和9颗高轨星

in Chinese:
tech.sina.com.cn...

The first sattellite is going to be launched this summer and the system shall be completed in 2010. This system is truly global instead of the likes of Beidou-1, a movable non global positioning system. It shall be built on top of Beidou 1 and adding 25 sattelites in 5 years. The Chinese news article explains alot more, translate it with the translating program. Sina.com.cn is the most reliable Chinese site in the world, it is also the largest Chinese web site in the world and also the most popular.

China will now have even more sources of reliable and accurate sources of positioning. First GLONASS, GPS, GALILEO now Beidou-2.

[edit on 24-6-2005 by COWlan]

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Well, more satellites for the US to shoot down when WWIII starts lol

[edit on 24-6-2005 by ulshadow]

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ulshadow

what weapons does america have to shoot down sateillites?? i throught russia and america agreed not to have weapons in space. china is also working on anti-sateilite systems.

PS: COWlan the galileo GPS system is almost ready and china is a major part of it

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
'what weapons does the us have to shoot down satelites?'

The US may the very weapons we don't know about Chinawhite. Perhap's a good thing - yes?

Dallas

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by COWlan
Beidou-2 will be the 3th GPS system in service after USA and Russia.

You forgot GALILEO (though you mentioned it later). Beidou-2 would be the 4th "satellite navigation system" or "Global navigation infrastructure" (GPS is the exclusive name for the US american military system)

GALILEO will be fully operable in 2008 at the latest, with start of signal transmission in 2005. Link to official site FAQ

BTW the russian GLONASS isnt fully capable of a global function, and the Chinese navigation system Beidou is limited to Asia and Australia for now. I couldnt find any more sources on the Beidou-2 system though, and the auto translation bakes little sense. So I dont know how good the global coverage would be.

[edit on 24-6-2005 by Lonestar24]

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Well, Beidou has already started transmission. Beidou 1 is a tiny part of Beidou two, the part for Asia or eastern Asia, so technically, it is the third GPStructure (thank you for your correction). Beidou 2 is built on the already existing Beidou 1.

Europe, China, Russia and USA are all developing ASAT weapons, its just America is the one that leaked out the most information.

China is a huge partner for the Galileo project, I forgot how much we chipped in but I'm sure its alot and a big percentage.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas
'what weapons does the us have to shoot down satelites?'

The US may the very weapons we don't know about Chinawhite. Perhap's a good thing - yes?

Dallas

sorry dallas i dont have a clue what your trying to say please write again.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Pardon my grammar as well as yours. I have read in past ATS doen't take kindly to repeat views in the same thread so please read between the lines (the words I missed).
Thanks chinawhite.

Dallas

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas

Pardon my grammar as well as yours. I have read in past ATS doen't take kindly to repeat views in the same thread so please read between the lines (the words I missed).
Thanks chinawhite.

Dallas

i think i got what you said.

you mean that the US may have secret ASAT weapons that the general public doesn't know about.

the chiense are also working on Anti-sateillite weapons to

China’s Approach to Anti-Satellite Systems and Space Warfare
www.heritage.org...

China develops
anti-satellite weapon
Low-cost but lethal ‘parasitic'
space technology successfully tested

www.worldnetdaily.com...

China's Space Capabilities and the Strategic Logic of Anti-Satellite Weapons
cns.miis.edu...

Chinese Anti-Satellite [ASAT] Capabilities
www.fas.org...

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Hmm...what else will the Chinese do next? Enter space and build a GPS already, what next, go to the moon?

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   
i'm not sure what the chinese space program has being doing since i last heard about it. but the 'Long March 2+3' as i remember, both crashed and killed quite a few people.
with china struggling to feed its people under famin conditions and launch rockets at the same time sounds rather hard. (also to launch them sucessfuly too!)

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
How do you think to shoot down a satellite chinawhite?

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   

How do you think to shoot down a satellite chinawhite?

nuclear rocket?
laser?
electromagnetical pulse?

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite

what weapons does america have to shoot down sateillites?? i throught russia and america agreed not to have weapons in space. china is also working on anti-sateilite systems.

PS: COWlan the galileo GPS system is almost ready and china is a major part of it

The US doesnt need to have space based weapons. What about our ansat missiles? There are countries that have those.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Wodan, you come up with some pretty good ideas hehehe but i don't think you need a nuclear rocket to shoot it down, normal rocket will do.

truttseeker, right on, you don't need space based weapons to shoot down a satellite. If you can lunch a satellite into space, you can lunch something to shoot it down.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Why would america shoot at chinese satalites?
There wont be a WW3 any how.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by truttseeker
The US doesnt need to have space based weapons. What about our ansat missiles? There are countries that have those.

www.designation-systems.net...

www.astronautix.com...

the Vought ASM-135 is the ASAT missile developed during the 70`s and 80`s to shoot satellite`s - it was test fired twice - the second time in 1985 killed a live and working satellite `P78-1` the solar observatory satellite.

The programme was `terminated` (and i use that word very lightly) in 1988 on political grounds.

[edit on 25-6-2005 by Harlequin]

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
See, Harlequin prove it that US can shoot down satellites which chinawhite deny...

since it was terminated but it was tested and shoot down a sat. it can be put back rather quickly, the tech is there.

[edit on 25-6-2005 by ulshadow]

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Hey, quit trying to shoot down our satellites, I need those to find my way!!

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taishyou
Hey, quit trying to shoot down our satellites, I need those to find my way!!

Lol

MiG-31s can also shoot down satalites. China's ASAT technology isn't far from the US's ASAT technology. China aquired 24 of these, but didn't make any more, and went for the Su-27/30 instead for a frontline fighter.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join