It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beidou-2, world's third global positioning system

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
There are many easier and cheaper ways of denying an adversary access to space than to physically destroy a sattelite....

The two easiest are jaming signals to/from the sattelite, or physically destroy ground stations that are used to communicate with the satellite.

I would highly doubt that China's sattelites and ground stations are as robust and survivable as the US's. Also, most high value sattelites can move (a signifigant amount), making physically destroying them down very difficult....

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ulshadow
See, Harlequin prove it that US can shoot down satellites which chinawhite deny...

since it was terminated but it was tested and shoot down a sat. it can be put back rather quickly, the tech is there.

[edit on 25-6-2005 by ulshadow]

that picture and links were from a missile that was only in the prototpye stage.

just pointing to a prototype and then saying you can shoot down sateillites is stupid

[edit on 25-6-2005 by chinawhite]

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by funny_pom
i'm not sure what the chinese space program has being doing since i last heard about it. but the 'Long March 2+3' as i remember, both crashed and killed quite a few people.
with china struggling to feed its people under famin conditions and launch rockets at the same time sounds rather hard. (also to launch them sucessfuly too!)

you heard wrong about the long march missiles. the last failed mission was in 1996...

famine conditions??? are you talking from your @#$...

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   

How do you think to shoot down a satellite chinawhite?

ASAT weapons

land based lasers

piggyback satellites

where did i deny that america didn't have anti-sateillite weapons i already knew about the f-15 shooting down that sateilite.

It was terminated becaue of polictal reasons like i said because your not allowed to put weapons in space. some agreement with russia not to target each others sateillites

[edit on 26-6-2005 by chinawhite]

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   

It was terminated becaue of polictal reasons like i said because your not allowed to put weapons in space. some agreement with russia not to target each others sateillites

Yeah that will stop the U.S.
Have you seen the Pentagons Space Weapons proposal, I do remember it has something in it about denying the use of space to an adversary by focusing energy beams on one area and not allowing rockets to get through. Look it up I recommend it.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
The F-15 missile wasn't put in space, until it hit the sattelite and blew it up. Just because a program was terminated doesn't mean that someone somewhere isn't working on it anymore.

I got this email from a friend of mine about GPS jamming and found it amusing.....

"A particular concern for JDAM is GPS jamming. However, this is less a of problem than originally anticipated. First of all, the GPS signal now resides on a secure topology - the GPS kit knows if it is getting a certified GPS signal or not. The U.S. Department of Defense has received additional funding to make this process even more secure and to improve the ability of the kit to acquire GPS signals under various jamming scenarios. Secondly, if the JDAM kit does not acquire a GPS signal on the way down, the Inertial Navigation System in the kit will get the weapon near the target with variable accuracy (depending on conditions) and will not be influenced if instructions from the GPS fall outside of a certain range. All this was proven in combat when in Iraq, an enemy GPS jammer was taken out with a JDAM."

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
OK chinawhite, i am going to ignore you on this subject with the shooting down the sateillites... The stuff are there prove me wrong if you think US can't shoot down sateillites.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Sommething is getting better in this world the more GPS setelites the more better reception and coverage around the whole world and plus i two super powers are in war the one of the GPS will be on any way, This very large step that China has taken its now taking command over Earths communications to slowly i mean.

Beidou-2

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   

OK chinawhite, i am going to ignore you on this subject with the shooting down the sateillites... The stuff are there prove me wrong if you think US can't shoot down sateillites.

yeah you were wrong. a missile in the prototype stage doesn't give you the ability to shoot down sateillites

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I'd say we did pretty good. Two shots, one active, one kill. I'd say that's the ability to shoot down sattelites.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
I'd say we did pretty good. Two shots, one active, one kill. I'd say that's the ability to shoot down sattelites.

do you know what type of sateiliite they shoot at? a old 1960-70s with no manuver capbilities. pre-planned cordinates. it was a 100% chance it was gonna hit

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by COWlan
Well, Beidou has already started transmission. Beidou 1 is a tiny part of Beidou two, the part for Asia or eastern Asia, so technically, it is the third GPStructure (thank you for your correction).

You seem to forget that the G in GPS stands for Global. Make it fourth behind Galileo.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   
You're right chinawhite. There's no point in debating you about it, because you'll always be right. We don't have the capability to shoot down sattelites and never will.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
You're right chinawhite. There's no point in debating you about it, because you'll always be right. We don't have the capability to shoot down sattelites and never will.

yup
good to know you understand

[edit on 27-6-2005 by chinawhite]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
The US ASAT weapon being discussed shows the Mericans have the technical knowhow to kill a satellite. Not only that they hvae shot down a satellite using this particular form of tech.
Bearing in mind, this was 1980's technology. The computer power alone would provide an exponential increase in lethality. Just becasue it was never deployed DOES NOT mean that the weapon has not been refined over the years using newer technology.

PS. Any manouver a satellite can perform is limited at best, and would only give it a small chance of escaping damage. Even if it did survive it's fuel reserves would be depleted shortening its operational lifespan significantly.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
No, Galileo is fourth, Beidou-2 is third. Galileo starts sending sattelites up in space from 2006, Beidou-2s first sattelite will be sent this summer which is a year ahead of Galileo. China is a major participant in Galileo as we pledged 230 million Euros of the 1.1 Billion Euros for the developement. The reason for Galileo and Beidou2 is for our precision weapons and guidance to be accurate even though one or more systems might be destroyed or jammed. China now will be using GPS, GLONASS, Beidou2 and Galileo as well as other methods like terrain matching.

Galileo consists of 30 sattelites, Beidou2 consists of 3+25 sattelites.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
... now y didnt i have 1 of those when i was looking around Siberia with friends???
... they didnt come out yet... EH... sad really

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by russiankid
... now y didnt i have 1 of those when i was looking around Siberia with friends???
... they didnt come out yet... EH... sad really

wtf are you on bout

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   
me and friends went to look around siberia and we could ov used something like a gps

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by russiankid
me and friends went to look around siberia and we could ov used something like a gps

oh ok.

why didn't you use the russian one. GLONASS

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join