It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: International Poll Reveals: World favors China over USA

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

Originally posted by intrepid
There you go, proves Seekerof's point again that polls are crap. That poll says Canadians are the most violent and rude?

No, that particular chart says Canadians think Americans are violent and rude.
It was about other countries perceptions of Americans.

I'm talking about this one

At the bottom of the list on honesty too. Damn, I've gotta get out of here.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
intrepid,

so are we

From Pew:

To find out what the world makes of the American character, respondents, including Americans themselves, were asked to rate Americans on seven character traits ­ three positives (hardworking, inventive and honest) and four negative (greedy, violent, rude and immoral).

pewglobal.org...

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   

I'm talking about this one

pewglobal.org...

I know, look at the title of the poll.
"How Western Publics View Americans"

Those result for Canada are Canada's opinions of the US, not the world's opinions of Canada.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Those result for Canada are Canada's opinions of the US, not the world's opinions of Canada.

OK, so that means the US sees itself as greedy and honest? I'm missing something here.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   

OK, so that means the US sees itself as greedy and honest? I'm missing something here.

That's correct and the two are not mutually exclusive.
A better comparison is between honest and immoral.
The two numbers add up almost exactly.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Yuk and _ _ _ _ China favorability with the world. Their Just better a hiding their atrocities than other nations - due to their experience in this Yuk matter..

Dallas

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
So far this thread has followed the usual script. One side says polls show....., another says, well it shouldn't show and yet another says, yes it should--because. I do believe we just all like to talk, argue, or what have you.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer68
I do believe we just all like to talk, argue, or what have you.

Thats the definition of a messageboard is it not?

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I wont make this thread too much about Iraq but since you mentioned clean water, here's a recent link on that:
Stifling Baghdad despairs as water cut adds to misery (June 25 2005)

[edit on 27-6-2005 by AceOfBase]

Ace, you only seem to like to see the bad that is happening over there in Iraq. As some people keep saying around here, you are being sucked in by the liberal media who likes to present only the bad things happening in Iraq. You are not the only one btw. Yes, there are a lot of bad things happening mostly in the center of Iraq, but that is not all of Iraq...

BTW, did you bother to read who it was that cut off the water for the Iraqis in Baghdag?.....

in fact, let me help you out...

But the final straw for the 42-year-old housewife from the middle-class New Baghdad district in the Iraqi capital came when a rebel attack on a water plant cut off supplies to two million people.

Excerpted from link given by AceofBase.

It seems, as some of us knew already, that insurgents do not give a crap about Iraqis, and are the ones causing the problems there now....

One more thing, you did not anwser my question. It seems you can't find it in yourself to say that there are good things happening in Iraq thanks to the coalition....

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Hey, astronomer68. You need another category.

So far this thread has followed the usual script. One side says polls show....., another says, well it shouldn't show and yet another says, yes it should--because.

I don't trust polls at all and I don't think it should show anything one way or the other.

(I still need to go back and catch up on these posts for today)

edit to add:

Oh, and about that graph above. What is the deal with France? Are we greedy because we're hardworking or hardworking because we're greedy?

Aww. I read it wrong! I hate these damned graphs!

[edit on 27-6-2005 by 2nd Hand Thoughts]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
GUys, I think some comman sense should be around no? I think we all can agree that Polls mean next to nothing, unless they are fully transparent on who they asked, when, why,where, yadda yadda yadda. Ofcourse no poll can do this..

So, any one poll on it's own is probably irrelevent, but if 5 or 6 come up, from different regions in the world, done by diffferent people then it starts to hold a little more water don't you think?

Like circumstantial evidense. On it's own one peice means little - combine it with dozens more and it becomes something that should be taken seriously wouldn't you think?

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Passerby wrote:

Like circumstantial evidense. On it's own one peice means little - combine it with dozens more and it becomes something that should be taken seriously wouldn't you think?

No. Like you said, a poll is a poll is a poll. So we're not favored on this and that. Doesn't matter to me at all. If all these polls said everyone thought america was
I wouldn't feel any better. It's ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Be careful people.....
Polls rule the world, or so you would think by reading the comments given in 10 pages of this topic thus far, huh?

seekerof

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Two side notes:

1) If people are bothered by the numbers, look how few people new drugs get tested on before they are found safe to be used on the public or look at how many people are studied by Psychologists, 16,000 is a lot of people compaired to that.

2) Depending on the poll, depends on what it shows. This poll does show what a lot of people have been suspecting - the Bush term has done more to harm America in the eyes of the outside world. Is it a good or bad thing? Well that all depends on what you think? Is it good for the World to think of America in a positive light/way?

In my opinion yes, it helps with trade, immigration, terrorism, etc. Also if a Nation likes America/thinks well of America and the Government works with them, they are more likely to vote that Government back into power, which again helps the President and America with International matters.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Agreed Odium, somewhat.

In my opinion yes, it helps with trade, immigration, terrorism, etc. Also if a Nation likes America/thinks well of America and the Government works with them, they are more likely to vote that Government back into power, which again helps the President and America with International matters.

Bush is a current two term POTUS.
As such, where was this poll prior to the elections?
If there was one similiar, then apparently what you have mentioned and is quoted above, had no bearing, correct?

Polls, nor the people, do not dictate foreign policy or the foreign policy makers, Odium.
Obviously, there are a few exceptions: the ending of Vietnam being one.

seekerof

[edit on 27-6-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2nd Hand Thoughts
Passerby wrote:

No. Like you said, a poll is a poll is a poll. So we're not favored on this and that. Doesn't matter to me at all. If all these polls said everyone thought america was
I wouldn't feel any better. It's ridiculous.

Agreed on one or two of them Or if either of them have an obviously slanted bais. Obviously a poll by Algazeer is probably not to be beleived, but what about one from a UK university(Don't know if one was there, just using as an example) shouldn't you at least think about it? Where could the possible bais be? If that hypothetical poll matched another hypothetical poll, say from, Italy, which matched one from Canada - then don't you think there is something too it?

Now, ultimately all a poll will tell you is what the people, on average, think. Granted not policy making stuff, but certainly if enough opinion polls are done, and enough opinions are that America is doing something it shouldn't - then isn't it the hight of hubris to assume it means nothing?

Like I said, I don't think any one poll means anything, but 100? Like circumstantial evidense. On it's own, nothing, combined with 100 other peices of circumstantial evidense and there is more than a legal case.

Why should this follow any different?

Now, let me say that ultimately the US will do what it will, but if those polls show up on the home front, and if they concure with what is being said internationally - then I have to hope more credience will be put into them.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Odium wrote:

[quote/] 1) If people are bothered by the numbers, look how few people new drugs get tested on before they are found safe to be used on the public or look at how many people are studied by Psychologists, 16,000 is a lot of people compaired to that.

Technicality: LESS than 16,000

You are comparing rocks to marshmallows. Medical testing, psychology whatever, and polls. I don't see the connection.

16,000, 32,000, 64,000. Still a poll I don't care about.

As far as the other stuff, yeah that would matter on varying levels. I still don't consider polls warning signs. I find actions a tad more significant.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Passer By
So, any one poll on it's own is probably irrelevent, but if 5 or 6 come up, from different regions in the world, done by diffferent people then it starts to hold a little more water don't you think?

If you need 5 or 6 then I will provide all of you with 5 or 6 polls that all show similar sentiments.

In 18 of 21 Countries Polled, Most See Bush’s Reelection as Negative for World Security (Jan 2005)(pdf)
On average across all countries, 58 percent said that Bush’s reelection was negative, while 26 percent said that it was positive for global security. The most negative countries are western European, Latin American and Muslim ones. The only three countries in which a majority or plurality see Bush’s election as positive are the Philippines (63%), India (62%), and Poland (44%).
--snip--

On average a plurality of 47 percent say they now view US influence in the world as mostly negative while 38 percent view it as mostly positive and 15 percent did not answer either way.

The poll above seems to show India and Poland having positive opions of the US and George Bush while almost everyone else is the opposite. That agrees with the original poll in this thread.

ICM Poll Oct 2004
In Britain the growth in anti-Americanism is not so marked as in France, Japan, Canada, South Korea or Spain where more than 60% say their view of the United States has deteriorated since September 11. But a sizeable and emerging minority - 45% - of British voters say their image of the US has got worse in the past three years and only 15% say it has improved.

There is a widespread agreement that America will remain the world's largest economic power.

This is underlined by the 73% of British voters who say that the US now wields an excessive influence on international affairs, a situation that 67% see as continuing for the foreseeable future.

A majority in Britain also believe that US democracy is no longer a model for others.

But perhaps a more startling finding from the Guardian/ICM poll is that a majority of British voters - 51% - say that they believe that American culture is threatening our own culture.

Globescan PIPA (Sept 2004)(pdf)
However, this group also included the two countries most favorable to Bush—the Philippines and Poland. Among Filipinos, 57% said they prefer Bush over Kerry, and 58% say that their view of US foreign policy has gotten better. But among Poles, though a modest plurality favored Bush (31% to 26%), a plurality of 41% said that their view of US foreign policy has gotten worse, while only 15% say it has gotten better.

Strongest negative views of US foreign policy were held in Germany (83% say “worse”), France (81%), Mexico (78%), China (72%), Canada (71%), Netherlands (71%), Spain (67%), Brazil (66%), Italy (66%), Argentina (65%), and the UK (64%). The only countries in which more said that the Bush foreign policy made them feel better toward the US were: the Philippines, (58% better-27% worse), India (38% better—33% worse) and Thailand (35% better and 30% worse). Nigeria was divided (36% better—34% worse) as was Venezuela (33% better-34% worse).

Impressions of America 2004, HOW ARABS VIEW AMERICA (pdf)

If you add the original poll, that makes 5.
pewglobal.org...

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
AceOfBase quoted this from a poll:

But perhaps a more startling finding from the Guardian/ICM poll is that a majority of British voters - 51% - say that they believe that American culture is threatening our own culture.

One thing about these polls, they sure come up with some real humdingers.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
'The World According to Polls' has lead some here to think that they really make a difference when they are nothing but opinion, and quite frankly, the old saying of opinions is quite well known.......everyone has one.

Since this poll came out, among the international polls of the past 3-5 years concerning the worlds opinion of the US, life has not changed one bit. Question for AceOfBase: can you find me a poll that indicates how Americans view the opinions of the international community when applied to how the international community views Americans?

seekerof

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join