It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: International Poll Reveals: World favors China over USA

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
An international poll conducted by different international research institutions revealed the extent of the US's foreign policy disaster and diplomatic isolation in the world. China has a better image than the USA among allies. While support for US policies remained low in muslim countries, the European view of the USA worsened most notably because of the war on Iraq and Bush's reelection.

in.rediff.com
The United States' image is so tattered overseas two years after the Iraq invasion that communist China is viewed more favorably than the US in many countries, including long-time Western European allies, an international poll released Thursday found.

The poor image persists even though the Bush administration has been promoting freedom and democracy throughout the world in recent months and has sent hundreds of millions of dollars in relief aid to Indian Ocean nations hit by the devastating December 26 tsunami.

"It's amazing when you see the European public rating the United States so poorly, especially in comparison with China," said Andrew Kohut, director of the Pew Research Center for the People?& the Press, which surveyed public opinion in 16 countries, including the United States.

In Britain, which prides itself on its "special relationship" with Washington, almost two-thirds of Britons, 65 percent, saw China favorably, compared with 55 percent who held a positive view of the United States. In France, 58 percent had an upbeat view of China, compared with 43 percent who felt that way about the US The results were nearly the same in Spain and the Netherlands.

The United States' favorability rating was lowest among three Muslim nations which are also US allies -- Turkey, Pakistan and Jordan -- here only about one-fifth of those polled viewed the US in a positive light.

Only India and Poland were more upbeat about the United States, while Canadians were just as likely to see China favorably as they were the US.

The poll found suspicion and wariness of the United States in many countries where people question the war in Iraq and are growing wary of the US-led war on terror.

"The Iraq war has left an enduring impression on the minds of people around the world in ways that make them very suspicious of US intentions and makes the effort to win hearts and minds far more difficult," said Shibley Telhami, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution.

The overseas image of the United States slipped sharply after the Iraq invasion in 2003, the Pew polling found, and it has not rebounded in Western European countries like Britain, France, Germany and Spain.

The US image remains relatively poor in Muslim countries like Jordan and Pakistan, but has bounced back in Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim country which benefited from US aid to tsunami victims, as well as in India and Russia.

Support for the US-led war on terror has dipped in European countries like Britain, France, Germany, Canada and Spain, while it remains low in the Muslim countries surveyed like Pakistan, Turkey and Jordan.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This might be news for some people.

[edit on 23-6-2005 by Moretti]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I wonder what kind of site this "Rediff" is. I also have to wonder if it is true that most of the people in the world favor China, who is taking steps to invade a country that has never been a threat to China, and the Chinese government don't want to be declared independent. If the world has sunk that low, let them think whatever they want.

BTW, you should fix by shortening the excerpt from the site, it is too long.

[edit on 23-6-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I wonder what kind of site this "Rediff" is. I also have to wonder if it is true that most of the people in the world favor China, who is taking steps to invade a country that has never been a threat to China...

Two points stood out to me here:

1: Red would only be seen in America, outside of the US, as a bad thing. Ie: communism. Funny that it was the red states that put Bush in.

2: Iraq was a threat to the US?

Man, they don't have the population or tech that Canada has. And you know how we're looked at.....
. Nuff said.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Rediff.com is an independent news portal, it's fairly good for its reporting and has very little bias - not to long ago they were promoting Bush, so they do hold a lot of freedom.

Also it would not shock me, after watching shows on the BBC the New China under the present leadership is a lot different to the China of the 1980's and 1990's. 1/5th of the worlds population and only second largest prison population, one of the lowest re-offender rates in the world, a low crime rate, Social Policy is picking up, um-employment is going down, etc, etc.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Not surprising, historically countries that invade other countries that aren't a threat to them without provication are less popular than countries that don't want their provinces to break away. It's really just a matter of people thinking China has problems but they keep the problems to themselves while America projects it's beliefs, right or wrong worldwide. I don't like a lot of the things China does but it's their country and it's the job of the Chinese to change things in their country for the better if they want to. America on the other hand not only does a lot of things i disagree with inside it's own borders (which is the part i don't mind since it's up to them to make their own country what they want it to be) but also uses it's military to project it's influence to other countries. Simple as that really.

[edit on 23-6-2005 by Trent]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
The survey in question was done by Pew Research Center. It is part of the Pew Global Attitudes Project.

The Pew Global Attitudes Project is a series of worldwide public opinion surveys that encompasses a broad array of subjects ranging from people's assessments of their own lives to their views about the current state of the world and important issues of the day. More than 90,000 interviews in 50 countries have been conducted as part of the project's work.

The Pew Global Attitudes Project is co-chaired by former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright, currently Principal, the Albright Group LLC in Washington, DC, and former Senator John C. Danforth, currently Partner, Bryan Cave LLP in St. Louis, MO. The project is directed by Andrew Kohut, president of the Pew Research Center, a nonpartisan "fact tank" in Washington, DC, that provides information on the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. The project is principally funded by The Pew Charitable Trusts. The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation provided a supplemental grant for the 2002 survey.

pewglobal.org...

The complete text of the report this story is based on can be found here.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Why does China have few inmates? do you even know why?

Because they kill most of the people that are sentenced, including for selling pot, or other drugs and for having large amount of drugs, and for being pro-democratic also.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Because they kill most of the people that are sentenced, including for selling pot, or other drugs and for having large amount of drugs, and for being pro-democratic also.

I thought you supported the death penalty? Or is it only wrong when China does it?

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   

You say that like execution is a bad thing. Hell, the American justice system doesn't even work. AT least in China, you know if you killed someone, your family was going to get charged for the 7.62 they wipe your brainpan with. Yeah, I feel sorry for the innocents, but you know what? A lot of the time, they have the right idea.

You murder someone, you die.

You rape someone, you die.

And, as for drug dealers, anyone who sells something like PCP or meth DESERVES that bullet.

Yeah, sure, innocents die, but look how many people go free. Karla Homolka is going to be free soon. MJ is free right now. Frankly, I don't think that most people would mind either catching a bullet.

Always remember, kids. Gravity is a renewable resource.

DE

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally submitted by Intrepid

Two points stood out to me here:

1: Red would only be seen in America, outside of the US, as a bad thing. Ie: communism. Funny that it was the red states that put Bush in.

Well, since i have never heard of that site i had to ask, and it was a question....

i wonder why China was ever called Red China....

Yes, when countries are defined with the color red it usually means they are communists.

As for why they changed the colors of the states that voted for president Bush? I have no idea. We would have to find out who was it that came up with that notion. My guess is that the media did, because the government does not control the media.

2: Iraq was a threat to the US?

MOSCOW, Russia (CNN) -- Russian intelligence services warned Washington several times that Saddam Hussein's regime planned terrorist attacks against the United States, President Vladimir Putin has said.

The warnings were provided after September 11, 2001 and before the start of the Iraqi war, Putin said Friday.

Excerpted from.
www.cnn.com...

Man, they don't have the population or tech that Canada has. And you know how we're looked at..... . Nuff said.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
"Rediff.com India Ltd., (NASDAQ: REDF (quotes.nasdaq.com...)) is a popular news, information, entertainment and shopping portal. It was founded in 1996 and is headquartered in Mumbai, India with offices in New Delhi and New York, USA. It has more than 200 employees. Rediff.com also offers the Indian American community one of the oldest and largest Indian weekly newspaper, India Abroad, which it acquired in 2001"

en.wikipedia.org...

It's not red-iff, it is one word.

And to be classed as a "re-offender" you have to serve and be released, those who get killed do not factor into it. Sorry to inform you of this.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Muaddib, people are being killed in the US too, for minor infringements, like bank robbery for example. And China signed the convention against child executions, which the US didnt. Also, i don't see a low prison population correlated to the death penalty, but more to social and economic factors. Germany has no death penalty, yet only 80.000 inmates while the US has around 2.000.000.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally submitted by Curme
I thought you supported the death penalty? Or is it only wrong when China does it?

Not when the reasons the peope being killed are for being pro-democratic, or for selling drugs. In the US people who have been convicted to the death penalty can get appeals and have opportunities to prove their innocence, in China there is no chance for that. You are convicted and executed the same day the conviction is given.

People who sell drugs should spent time in prison, but do not deserve to die because of it, and killing people because they are pro-democratic?.....

Odd

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
doesn't anyone remember that crap about China censoring words like "democracy" and "human rights'" in Chinese web sites?

this is a load of crap

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally submitted by Moretti
Muaddib, people are being killed in the US too, for minor infringements, like bank robbery for example.

Care to provide evidence that people are being sentenced to the death penalty in the US just for robbing a bank?.... or for any other minor infringements?

And how many people are in the US compared to how many people there are in Germany Moretti?..

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Firstly, when was the last time someone was killed for being "Pro-Democratic"? I'm shocked they let the BBC interview people in areas of China and do lives shows like Question Time if they're still so "Anti-Democracy"?

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I currently favour China over the USA Muaddib. They havent actually carried out 2 invasions in the last 4 years have they?

So theres one vote that they havent fudged.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Let's see some of the reasons why the Chinese government sentences people to death.

“A Bullet to the Back of the Head”

According to a news release from the Subcommittee on International Operations and Human Rights of the US House of Representatives’ Committee on International Relations, as many as 90% of the transplants performed in China utilize organs harvested from prisoners executed by a bullet to the back of the head. Amnesty International reports that some of these prisoners are executed for crimes no more serious than pro-democracy activism or tax evasion.

Excerpted from.
www.ikidney.com...

China: “The Government's human rights record throughout the year remained poor and the Government continued to commit numerous and serious abuses. Authorities still were quick to suppress any person or group, whether religious, political, or social, that they perceived to be a threat to government power, or to national stability, and citizens who sought to express openly dissenting political and religious views continued to live in an environment filled with repression. Overall, government respect for religious freedom remained poor and crackdowns against unregistered groups, including underground Protestant and Catholic groups, Muslim Uighurs, and Tibetan Buddhists continued. Several leaders of the unregistered South China Church were arrested in July and subsequently sentenced to death; some of those sentences were suspended and somewere appealed. Also in July, authorities arrested Hong Kong businessman Li Guangqiang and charged him with smuggling for bringing Bibles into the country.

Excerpted from.
www.fed-soc.org...&%20AmerSov/CEDAWvic.pdf

The above report is from 2000.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Oh, so now only the US invaded Afgahnistan and Iraq huh subz? i guess Canada was not in the invasion of Afgahnistan, as well as several other countries. i guess Spain, the U.K and the other countries which became part of the coalition had nothing to do with iraq either....

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Muaddib, this article only speaks of American and China so stick to the topic?

And also those posts do not link to any thing detailing dates or names of people, only assumed numbers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join