It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pride and Humanism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Most people are humanists. They think that humans can solve all of their problems. This is out of pride, if you havent noticed. They say, "We dont need God to solve our problems. Us humans are not part of all the problems on earth, we are the solution!"
Well I got some shocking news for you.

It's our fault! Yes, it is. All of the death and suffering and misery, all our fault! We are all miserable sinners in need of God's grace. Nobody gains eternal life by good acts, no. God is merciful and graceful; He sent His Son to live a sinless life! Yes, he was the only one to lead a sinless and perfect life. His name was Jesus, and the Lord let him die, and took the punishment of every sin. We are just as guilty of Jesus's death as the ones who sentenced him or nailed him to the cross. However, Jesus took that punishment off of anybody who accepted His sacrifice as our forgivenness!

The pride of humanism is what is keeping people from eternal life. Everybody is thinking "I dont need God," "I dont believe in God" or "We can solve all of our problems." This is pride, when you think you are good enough to not need being saved.

There is a reason humanists viciously attack Christianity. They think that if too many people are Christians around them, they will convert. And that will smash their pride into pieces once they admit they need Jesus. They fear that, they fear Christianity. It may not be a concious fear, but trust me, it is there. When you have a personal relationship with God, that is, being a Christian, you cant have pride. Pride makes you resis the changes God has planned for you in your life, so it must go.

Once you lose your pride and accept these truths, go ahead and pray. Talk to God as you would respectfully talk to a friend. Admit that you have been a sinner, and that you are in need of His forgivenness, grace, and mercy. Ask the Lord to forgive you of your sins by Jesus's death. Ask Him to come into your life and change you for the better. Then, pick up a Bible (use King James version or New King James version, they are the most accurate translations.) You dont have to read right away, you already made a huge step. If you cant get a bible, pray that God will get one to you. I couldnt get a bible because of my parents, but the Lord got one to me through my friend, who brought it to me at school. Have faith that He will bring you one, it took 4 months for me to get one, but I was given one. Study that Bible everyday, or as often as you can. Know what God wants you to do, know God's promises for you, and know what God should mean to you and what you mean to God. A church is a good thing but is not necessary. Pick a church that believes the bible exactly as it it written, and pick carefully. You can always leave a bad church. From here, I hope I have gotten you off to a good start. You are in my prayers.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 06:41 AM
link   

So when are you going to lose your self righteousness?

If you are going to preach AT people about pride.. perhaps including some humilty next time will make you seem less hypocritical.
There is nothing wrong with humanism.. in fact Jesus is the most famous one.. problem is many of his fans just preach what he preached instead of actually practicing it.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by DanD9
It's our fault! Yes, it is. All of the death and suffering and misery, all our fault! We are all miserable sinners in need of God's grace.

hmhmm.. i agree with the first statement, but the way i see it is. human genetic, human tendency.. the biological makeup of humans is to blame, i dont think that individual humans are responsible for their own action, kinda like they have no choice in the matter. i think its all about the chemical makeup.. the way atoms are positioned within the human brain, the framework if you like, then to top it all off you have cultural/environmental influences. but then again.. we are limited by our conceptual framework.. maybe i am wrong.

thats my opinion.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   

There is nothing wrong with humanism.. in fact Jesus is the most famous one.. problem is many of his fans just preach what he preached instead of actually practicing it.

Absolutely!

I'm not sure why this thread was posted, in all honesty. The original post was a personal manifesto, almost a sermon. What does that serve?

Are we here to discuss why humans are or are not responsible for their actions? Or are we going to go back and fort, perhaps quoting/misquoting religious texts instead of offering tangible proof of our claims?

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
Absolutely!

I'm not sure why this thread was posted, in all honesty. The original post was a personal manifesto, almost a sermon. What does that serve?

He/she was servicing themselves. Just another thread attacking non christians because the bible says that non christians will attack them.. and thefore they are justified in defending themselves by... attacking them first. :shk:

Are we here to discuss why humans are or are not responsible for their actions? Or are we going to go back and fort, perhaps quoting/misquoting religious texts instead of offering tangible proof of our claims?

Myself, I'm quite happy to discuss this without quoting scripture. As a humanist.. I think we should nurture and protect humanity.. which means eachother. Some may think this philosphy evil despite it being capable of preventing wars and poverty.. obviously their own beliefs have failed in this regard [even with the promises] so they can't really take the high moral ground without it turning to quicksand.

[edit on 21-6-2005 by riley]

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
[philisophical disgust]

I think the display of pride here is one of arrogence and hubris in the original poster thinking that any human is advanced enough in the great scheme of things to comprehend what God is, does, or wants from us, much less offer up his/her own preferred dogma as "truth" for us poor misguided sinners to digest.

[/philosophical disgust]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley
Myself, I'm quite happy to discuss this without quoting scripture. As a humanist.. I think we should nurture and protect humanity.. which means eachother. Some may think this philosphy evil despite it being capable of preventing wars and poverty.. obviously their own beliefs have failed in this regard [even with the promises] so they can't really take the high moral ground without it turning to quicksand.
[edit on 21-6-2005 by riley]

That is not humanism, that's being kind! Humanism is when people think that they do not need saving, or that humanity can solve all its problems. Can humanity solve death? No. Even if there were cures for every disease, and perfect treatments of every injury, some things are just not repairable (such as getting vaporised by an atom bomb or asteroid impact.) Only the Lord can give someone eternal life, and a way of not getting bored
Besides, if you follow Christianity (and do it better than me!) and it wasnt true, you'd still have the best moral values because you would know that you have to answer to someone.

Riley, I wont quote any scripture to ya if you dont want, ok? God's been working in me and I've been realizing a lot of things since I last posted. Also I just get nicer when I have the Holy Spirit in me. Sorry if I sounded proud or self-righteous.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   

That is not humanism, that's being kind! Humanism is when people think that they do not need saving, or that humanity can solve all its problems. Can humanity solve death? No. Even if there were cures for every disease, and perfect treatments of every injury, some things are just not repairable (such as getting vaporised by an atom bomb or asteroid impact.) Only the Lord can give someone eternal life, and a way of not getting bored
Besides, if you follow Christianity (and do it better than me!) and it wasnt true, you'd still have the best moral values because you would know that you have to answer to someone.

Then again, not everyone considers death to be a problem. Perhaps it's moot - death is unavoidable, and it's just another step in the journey....the only problem involved is when people try to live as though they can somehow avoid death, or when they obsess about it.

Buddhism is just one other path that encourages decent morals and accepting that death isn't a problem; perhaps that's why your initial post came across as self-righteous? (iow, the implication that only your belief was the "right" one - Christianity isn't alone in teaching that there will be repercussions for our actions).

top topics

join