It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Gun, tell me everything...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   
OK, so they only use "navy planes"...?

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   
They only use Navy OWNED planes just as the Air Force only uses Air Force owned planes at Red Flag. They occasionally will get Air Force planes to play with, like the B-1 or an occasional B-52 so they can do a bomber intercept mission for training, but the A2A stuff is all Navy Air. They USED to use A-4s, and F-5s against F-14s, then slowly F-18s as they came into the inventory.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Yeah, that's what I mean...
But how long will the F-14 still be in the program... Cos' ain't the X-35 taking over it's place... Correct me if I'am wrong...

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   
They're starting to retire the older F-14A/B models, and even a few of the D models, however the program underwent an upgrade within about the last 10 years, so there SHOULD be some online until the F-35 comes online. The F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet is starting to take over some of the F-14 roles.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
OK, However it would be a pittyn if the legendary "Tomcats" wouldn't be in Top-Gun any more...

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
The Navy uses the F-16 in the adversary role at Top Gun, Here are a couple of pictures of the Navy F-16's taken at Nellis AFB last year. You can see NAVY on the spine of the F-16, and the TOP GUN emblem on the tail. Sorry for the quality they were far away.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
These are embargoed Pakistani F-16s. The original F-16N was retired between 1994 and 1998 due to cracks in the wings and fuselage. They have had the canon taken out and modded to carry sensors in the wingtips that transmit data to ground stations during ACM. They were dumbed down from the F-16 C/D Block 30 that they were based on before turning them over to the Navy. The original F-16N and the replacements both. The radar was replaced in addition to the removal of the canon and addition of sensors.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Delta 38
Top Gun was orignally created during the Vietnam War era. US pilots had not recieved as much dog fighting training as they required prior to Vietnam because the military had assumed the jet fighter age would lead air to air fights being conducted over longer ranges due to missles. This theory didn't work out in practice and the US to Vietnamese kill ratio was low. Many american pilots were losing dogfights to vietnamese pilots who were flying inferior older Migs. So Top Gun training was the Navy's answer to improve naval aviators dog fighting skills. The training helped greatly increase the US to Vietnamese kill ratio so the Navy kept the program going after the war. The US Air Force has a similar training program called Red Flag. But it covers more than just dog fighting tactics.

[edit on 17-6-2005 by Delta 38]

Your answer is right on. Red Flag is an Air Force exercise consisting of the realistic fighter scenarios. Not just dog fights but ground targets also. Each exercise consists of several different models of AF fighters involved taking on other "Top Gun" pilots flying Russian look-alike aircraft.

Red Flag is so realistic that aircraft pilots lose control and crash aircraft regularly. I was a ground tech during one in 1979 and we lost an F-4 and the crew.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 04:33 AM
link   

The Navy uses the F-16 in the adversary role at Top Gun, Here are a couple of pictures of the Navy F-16's taken at Nellis AFB last year. You can see NAVY on the spine of the F-16, and the TOP GUN emblem on the tail. Sorry for the quality they were far away.

No problems... I love the pics...

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I was just in the control tower of NASF (Top Gun) and took this picture showing F-18s, F-16s and F-5s. They still use them all. Not just Navy train there. There are guests all the time. The Canadian Snowbirds even stopped by for "a visit".

F-18s & F16s on the tarmac

F5s on the tarmac

The control tower that Maverick buzzed in the movie TopGun:

--DK

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
There really is no clear cut answer here gang! Zaphod is mostly right on here. There are generally some things that are standards to go by as far as the Air Force and Navy are concerned, but things are always evolving and changing and they must be capable of adapting to them.

The EA 6B, and soon to be 'G' model Hornet, is used by both branches in nearly all situations. While I was at Pt. Mugu and at China Lake, we had quite a few of the 'aggressor' aircraft in from time to time. Both branches, actually the Marines too, use the F 16 and F 15 in the aggressor roles. There are foreign aircraft too...just not seen a whole lot but they are there.

As far as Top Gun goes at Fallon, there are a number of skills taught. Air to Air dogfighting is one of course but the ability to communicate and understand the battle scenarios leaders is also crucial. These pilots return to their fleet assignments better learned and also better able to teach their fellow aviators as well....turns into a team effort really.

However, the aircraft that are present are really not the concern and they change from situation to situation, no real need to fixate on those details.
I suggest that you just go spend some time near either base. Even if you are civilian and have no access to the base itslef, it's fun. Athough, I am a Navy man, I actually suggest going out to Nellis anytime of the year. Just hang out on the Road near the Northwest portion of the base, along the runway(stay opposite side of the road from the fence or you will be asked to leave). You can watch aggressor aircraft come and go all the time...yeah, they train hard too!

Anyway, hope this adds to the thread, Peace, Mondo

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Im sorry, but I really need to post this clip... its so fitting for this thread, and its hilarious:

I love it. Enjoy.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Copernicus,

That is great Man!! I am still laughing my &*^ off!!

That was just too sweet..thanks for the addition!!

Peace, Mondo

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Mondogiwa

Yet some how they left out great balls of fire? oh well awesome anyhow.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Since I don't know if you're a terrorist or not, I'll only give you declassified information.

- Smart alec pilots are not welcome. Most of those pilots end up flying rubber dog poop out of Honk Kong.

- Pilots in their off-time enjoy playing volleyball with really cool music playing in the background.

- Contrary to popular belief, pilots cannot strap tape players to their leg and rock out while blowing things up.

- Fly-bys are not allowed.

- No firing below the deck.

- No boxers allowed, only briefs.

Now, if I was a terrorist I would know that by taking out Kenny Loggins I would destroy morale at Top Gun and render it basically useless, but I'm not so I wouldn't.

Hope that helps.

Peace

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by skippytjc

DANGER
DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER

SARCASM DETECTOR AT CRITICAL LEVELS

top gun-
leet fighter pilots put in every situation possible to make them the best at what they do.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
- Contrary to popular belief, pilots cannot strap tape players to their leg and rock out while blowing things up.

With this statement I think you are referring to the movie Iron Eagle. I don't remember any pilots in Top Gun doing this

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I was indeed.

Lou Gossett Jr. is deadly behind the stick of an F-16.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join