It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Gun, tell me everything...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
So, what do you know about top-gun... I've know that all the best american pilotes get extra training there, in Fallon, Nevada Dessert... I know for sure that they fly with F-14 and F-18, but are there other planes... Please tell me if you know something...

(I'am not sure if this thing has been posted before)

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
So, what do you know about top-gun... I've know that all the best american pilotes get extra training there, in Fallon, Nevada Dessert... I know for sure that they fly with F-14 and F-18, but are there other planes... Please tell me if you know something...

OK, ill give it a go. This is everything I know about top gun:

Top Gun, 1986 Starring Tom Cruise

Plot Outline: The macho students of an elite US Flying school for advanced fighter pilots compete to be best in the class, and one romances the teacher.

Cast:

Cast overview, first billed only:
Tom Cruise .... Lt. Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell
Kelly McGillis .... Charlotte 'Charlie' Blackwood
Val Kilmer .... Lt. Tom 'Iceman' Kazanski
Anthony Edwards .... Lt. (j.g.) Nick 'Goose' Bradshaw
Tom Skerritt .... Cmdr. Mike 'Viper' Metcalf
Michael Ironside .... Lt. Cmdr. Rick 'Jester' Heatherly
John Stockwell .... Cougar
Barry Tubb .... Wolfman
Rick Rossovich .... Lt. (j.g.) Ron 'Slider' Kerner
Tim Robbins .... Lt. (j.g.) Sam 'Merlin' Wells
Clarence Gilyard Jr. .... Sundown
Whip Hubley .... Lt. Rick 'Hollywood' Neven
James Tolkan .... Stinger
Meg Ryan .... Carole Bradshaw
Adrian Pasdar .... Chipper

Hope that helps.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I think he was talking about the real top gun..

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
I think he was talking about the real top gun..

Really? You think? Man, how could I have missed that Daedalus? Must have miss read it....

OF COURSE I KNOW THAT!!

Joke:

Main Entry: 1joke
Pronunciation: 'jOk
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin jocus; perhaps akin to Old High German gehan to say, Sanskrit yAcati he asks
1 a : something said or done to provoke laughter; especially : a brief oral narrative with a climactic humorous twist b (1) : the humorous or ridiculous element in something (2) : an instance of jesting : KIDDING

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
yes i was talkning about the "real top-gun"... I've seen the movie by the way... The whole movie idea is a bit used, but the fighter scens are great...

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Top Gun was designed to teach navy pilots who flew the F-14 mainly and some in F/A-18 air combat skills and maneuvers. However now that the F-14 is being retired I don't know if they are just going to continue with the F/A-18’s until the F-35 come online or what, or maybe they will shut down the entire program.

Top Gun

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I'd imagine they'd simply stick with whatever plane is considered to be the primary air-to-air attack fighter, as it's basically a dogfighting school.

They also have some foreign planes to fly against, and often run training maneuvers with other world air forces.

I've heard rumors of having some of the newest Russian fighters (relatively) also or at least flying mockups of them (these were visual rumors), but not sure if that was the booze talking...

[edit on 17-6-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Top Gun was orignally created during the Vietnam War era. US pilots had not recieved as much dog fighting training as they required prior to Vietnam because the military had assumed the jet fighter age would lead air to air fights being conducted over longer ranges due to missles. This theory didn't work out in practice and the US to Vietnamese kill ratio was low. Many american pilots were losing dogfights to vietnamese pilots who were flying inferior older Migs. So Top Gun training was the Navy's answer to improve naval aviators dog fighting skills. The training helped greatly increase the US to Vietnamese kill ratio so the Navy kept the program going after the war. The US Air Force has a similar training program called Red Flag. But it covers more than just dog fighting tactics.

[edit on 17-6-2005 by Delta 38]

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I'd like to see a consolidation of the air-attack schools, why not have the JSF and the Raptor take part in joint dogfight and attack simulations and school scenarios, that is likely what would happen in actual combat anyway. Having seperate schools and simulations doesn't make sense in the "new" military.

Anyway the transfer of Miramar to the marines and the relocation to Fallon also includes retiring the instructors A-4's and F-5's in favor of the F-16 and the F/A-18. Now "Top Gun" F/A-18 pilots don't just practice dofighting any more, Air-to-Ground attack is also enphasized. I think the romance has left that program a little.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I too have often wandered why the Navy pilots and Air Force pilots did not train or practice with each other. As in a real war both air branches of the military would be fighting side by side.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
They fight side by side, but usually don't interact with each other. The Navy will have one area of responsibility, the Air Force another. There are some joint operations, the EA-6B squadrons mostly, but during a war there generally is little interaction between the services on strikes and bombing missions. Of course the Navy does require use of the Air Force tanker forces so they interact that way....

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Ok, thank's for those facts... I'am greatfull...

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Oooooo ducky, let me be your wing-ma, pleeeeeaase!

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 04:29 AM
link   

I've know that all the best american pilotes get extra training there, in Fallon, Nevada Dessert...

I thought Top Gun is at MCAS (Marine Corps Air Station) Miramar

not really sure tho

MCAS Miramar

Maybe someone else knows for sure......anyone?

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 04:46 AM
link   
what kind of dessert do they train in, is it Ice cream, cake, or pie? sorry, had to take the cheap shot!

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Sporty, Top Gun is run by the Navy. It WAS at Miramar for many years, but they moved it to Fallon in Nevada severaly years ago, then turned Miramar over to the Marines. Fallon is much safer, as Miramar is right in the middle of a small town.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Sporty, Top Gun is run by the Navy. It WAS at Miramar for many years, but they moved it to Fallon in Nevada severaly years ago, then turned Miramar over to the Marines. Fallon is much safer, as Miramar is right in the middle of a small town.

Thanks

I wasnt sure, thanks for clearing it up

Do Marines Participate in Top Gun? Seems like they would.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Yes, it was moved to Nevada. Remember the music from Top Gun? Ya know, 'hiiiiiiiwaaaaay to the DANGER ZONE!' Maybe that had something to do with it.

If you have access to Discovery Wings chanel (man, i miss that channel), they sometimes have/had programming on about the creation of Top Gun. I haven't been able to watch it for over a year, but knowing Discovery Wings, they are still replaying the same 30 programs over and over and over and over. Call your local cable or satellite operator today!

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
OK, but do they have any other planes... Sometime I've heard that they have F-16 there... True or false...?

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
There were a few F-16s in the Navy inventory used for agressor training, but the last one was retired in '94. Now they use F-18's painted in eastern european camo and occasionally hire private contrators who fly Israeli Kfir fighters, known in the US as the F-21 Lion.

www.f-16.net/f-16_users_article24.html

[edit on 19-6-2005 by JP_8]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join