It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush in hot hot water over the Downing Street memo, its about time!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Well it looks like there is going to be some explaining to do from the Bush Administration finally about the Downing Street memo and I must say it is about time. Its been all over the internet for weeks and very ittle in the mainstream news and finally they are calling for some answers. Kerry is already catching the devil from the repubican pundits over saying he is going to raise the issue on the memo. Can anyone say impeachment? Sing it out!

www.democracynow.org.../06/06/1328247

Though the revelation of the so-called Downing Street memo initially saw very little attention from the mainstream U.S media, calls for a full investigation, have gained momentum. 89 House members have called on President Bush to answer questions surrounding the memo;Though the revelation of the so-called Downing Street memo initially saw very little attention from the mainstream U.S media, calls for a full investigation, have gained momentum. 89 House members have called on President Bush to answer questions surrounding the memo;

And Last week, former presidential candidate Senator John Kerry told the Massachusetts Standard Times newspaper that he will be raising the issue of the memo when he returns to Washington this week. He went on to say, "I think it's a stunning unbelievably simple and understandable statement of the truth and a profoundly important document that raises stunning issues here at home. And it's amazing to me the way it escaped major media discussion. It's not being missed on the Internet, I can tell you that."

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by goose
And it's amazing to me the way it escaped major media discussion. It's not being missed on the Internet, I can tell you that."

Wow, I was about to type "never happen" as regards main stream media, but I just heard the DS memo being discussed on CNN as I typed this.

I'm in shock. If the MSM ever gets around to picking up on CoinGate too, I may have to uh not kill somebody.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I've seen this refered to on FOX even, it's not totally ignored, but I don't see how it even has much to do with Bush let alone rises to the level of indicating he may have committed a crime.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   
What I expect to see on the major networks is an attack on Kerry to try and throw off the attention on the memo, the pundits will be out in force this week trying to make the American people see this as an attack on Bush and they will all be wearing flags in their lapels no doubt. Its in the mainstream news because they can no longer avoid it but I hope the American people will see through this and realize the truth for a change.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I've seen this refered to on FOX even, it's not totally ignored, but I don't see how it even has much to do with Bush let alone rises to the level of indicating he may have committed a crime.

What you have is proof that Bush was planning the war at east 8 months before we went in and that we attacked 1 month before congress gave the go ahead.
www.democracynow.org.../06/06/1328247

I mean the reality here is that this evidence from this Downing Street memo reveals that the President may have engaged in a conspiracy to mislead and deceive the United States Congress and the American people about the basis for going to war against Iraq. And they have, in effect undermined and violated the War Powers Clause of the United States Constitution, which makes it quite clear that Congress and only Congress has the power to declare war.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   
So? It's not illegal for him to plan a war before it started! Hell, it's not even illegal for him to start a war without the approval of Congress! According to the War Powers Act, the President has 60 days to get Congressional approval AFTER attacking! Sheesh...

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
The downing street memo , read the last sentence, that alone is a clear indication the American people were being lied to by their president. The excerpt is from this page where the times printed the memo. Also here is more on the downing street memo, it points out what the memo says and waht Bush said, look under "why care" for this downingstreetmemo.com...

www.timesonline.co.uk...
C reported on his recent talks in Washington. There was a perceptible shift in attitude. Military action was now seen as inevitable. Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action, justified by the conjunction of terrorism and WMD. But the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
The Downing Street Memo will not lead to anyone changing their mind about Bush's war in Iraq, let alone impeachment. Why? Because it contains no new information. The fact that Bush bypassed the normal intelligence agencies, manipulated intelligence, and mislead the American people to pursue a war that had long been on the neocon agenda has been reported on in many documents, American, British, and otherwise, of equal if not higher authority (not to mention in plenty of works of invesitgative journalism.)

People had access to all kinds of proof even before they reelected W. The sad truth is, not enough people care about the issue to make it worthwhile for the mainstream media to pursue for much longer. If they did, Bush would have been out of office a long time ago.

By the way djohnsto77, the War Powers Act requires the president to give a forthright accounting of his reasons to go to war to congress, something Bush would have been unable to do with veracity without detailing the nature of the intelligence he overlooked and distorted, and the role of the Office of Special Plans in doing so. (Of course, it's a moot point, because he presented the same bogus case to congress to get the AUMF passed, so the War Powers Act was never implicated.)

Unlike in some democracies, Americans have proven themselves willing to accept a president who places himself above the need for accountability. Bush gives no press conferences worth a damn, and even admits to not reading the papers. While Tony Blair has to answer heated, aggressive questioning several times a week from his opponents, Bush gets pissed off when an Irish reporter neglects to call him "Mr. President."

The American people, congress, and the media have all rolled over dead.

-koji K.

[edit on 7-6-2005 by koji_K]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
The diversion will be a new war? Most possibly.

We know your MO, George

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I have only recently taken a look at the DSM. The problem i have with it is that it is opinions of british government aides of what they thought was going on. It contains no actual quotes from the american administration of pre-war meditation. Is there any proof that facts were being "fixed"? The only thing this memo proves is the sentiment that war with iraq was being viewed by some aides in the british government as "inevitable". IMO there is nothing really damning in this memo as it contains no actual quotes that make up this conspiracist table on the DSM website.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Unfortunately, this will go nowhere.

The only people that believed the war was caused by secret WMDs are complete and utter morons. Everyone knows the weapons inspections were so much flack, that the entire thing had been planned long ago and we were simply going.

The problem is, people simply don't care.

People won't care until the body bags start getting really heavy and this country starts being affected economically.

If those two things don't happen, this war can go on forever, just like Cheney hopes it will.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
aint that the truth;

The American people, congress, and the media have all rolled over dead.

yeah, to think after 911 and the shaking of our american sensibilities - america continued sleeping. i cry for america regularly now, its absolutely disgusting to watch this happen. not just downing street memos. the whole effing mess, and its all glossed over like a cartoon. nobody cares because they think 'america the free,' just IS. well america the free isnt such without the constant vigilance from the people. and the last couple of generations have NOT done their duty.

its like watching the fall of the roman empire from a birds eye view. its coming down. unless the citizenship gets their act in gear soon, its over. frankly, i kinda feel like giving up. the apathy is steadily creating the social climate can only result in slavery or civil war. smile for the stone age - here it comes again. damn humans never learn.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Hey I had not clue that it was some memo circulating around, so I can say that it has been not very much in the media.

I will read it now to see what is all above and as usual it will fade into nothingness.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   

You have voted koji_K for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

That's it in a nutshell. Thank you.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
i don't know if anyone has noticed, but goose continues to source little more then this shady democracynow.com website. only on this thread have i seen a citing of other sources.kinda funny how those that yell "Sheep!" at other can in fact be sheeps themselves.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Politicans lie??????

Show me a politician that doesn't lie at least part of the time? And the lies are on both sides of the aisle.
FDR lied.
JFK lied.
LBJ lied.
Nixon lied.
Bush 41 lied.
Dang, I bet even Jimmy Carter lied.
(And, while not a lie, FDR even kept the Manhattan Project from his VP
)

Then we have the MEDIA, who would lie even if the politicans told the truth.

How do we think we need to know everything thing about what goes on in politics? Like this has ever happened in the history of the country. :shk:
Do we feel that because of computers and PC and all the other trappings of modern society, we have more rights to the inner workings of this country...or the world.?

[edit on 7-6-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by astroblade
i don't know if anyone has noticed, but goose continues to source little more then this shady democracynow.com website. only on this thread have i seen a citing of other sources.kinda funny how those that yell "Sheep!" at other can in fact be sheeps themselves.

and sometimes people only see what they want to see, instead of hitting google... here is the BBC story for ya... it wont go over very well, ever since Bush allowed the conglomeration of news media in the states... it kinda makes it easier to control what is said, when you only have five calls to make...
BBC downing street memo...

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
How do we think we need to know everything thing about what goes on in politics? Like this has ever happened in the history of the country. :shk:
Do we feel that because of computers and PC and all the other trappings of modern society, we have more rights to the inner workings of this country...or the world.?

[edit on 7-6-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

So, by virtue of this post, you're stating that a war void of reasonable, or hell, real clear & present dangers is justified because, historically, American presidents have a long & august history of misleading their citizenry?
Do the dead have a say in rebuffing that position? Or how about the unaccounted for spending, as well as the unnecessary spending on an adventure with no justification, if you want to go for the fiscal conservative angle?

What team were you on in the Election 2004 threads again?

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by goose
What I expect to see on the major networks is an attack on Kerry to try and throw off the attention on the memo, the pundits will be out in force this week trying to make the American people see this as an attack on Bush and they will all be wearing flags in their lapels no doubt. Its in the mainstream news because they can no longer avoid it but I hope the American people will see through this and realize the truth for a change.

Damn you are good! Here we go...

Bush, Kerry Had Similar Grades

Yes, ladies and gentlemen this hard hitting news is now shaking America

For fun, compare the activity on this thread to this:

Democrats Lied About Kerry's Intelligence.

Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a bizzaro world, ATS you aren't helping!

[edit on 6/7/2005 by Lecky]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
That's what I'm looking for: counter to the Right Wing spin, this is clearly (the DSM) a subordinate giving a tactical debreif, over a situation, to his superiors. You can't hide from this under your Mamma's bed if you wanted to.
That being said, the "patriotic opposition" .....how unrelentingly will they drive this stake home? IMO, this will be a stellar crucible on how truly, or not, manipulated we are.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join