It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA's submarine launched UAV's

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   
This capability will be particularly useful when operating in the littoral where clandestine surveillance may be required or when other types of sensors are not available. The simplicity of the concept makes the Submarine Organic UAV a cost-effective solution for deploying an operational, over-the-horizon surveillance and targeting capability.

FEATURES
Organic, Disposable
Multi- Mission OTH Operations
8 Hour Endurance (100 mile “Fly Out” w/6 Hours on Station)
Up to 4 Vehicles in a Mast
GPS Aided Preprogrammed Flight or Manual Flight Control
UHF Uplink/Downlink
Preprogrammed Flight or Console Control from the Submarine or On Shore

APPLICATIONS

Reconnaissance and Surveillance
Line-of-Sight Communications Relay
Special Operations Support
Target Detection and Localization
Decoy Planing/Jammers
Atmosphere Monitoring (CBR)
MAD (Magnetic Anomaly Detection)
MICRO-UAV Delivery

SPECIFICATIONS

8 Hour Endurance
50 Knots Cruise Speed
Cold Rocket Launch at PD
2.5 HP Cold Start Engine
Sealed Composite Construction

Avionics
Single Board Computer
GPS Navigation
UHF COMMS Electronics

Payloads
Color CCD/IR Camera
Environment Sensing
MICRO-UAVs (x6)

Control Systems
Combat System Console Interface
Carry-On
Hand Over to SOF Ashore

“The beauty of UAVs as other military users have found is they are economical, portable and reliable,” said Lt. Cmdr. Tom Armstrong, Commander, U.S. Naval Submarine Force anti-terrorism force protection officer.

The new UAV design is ideal for stealth, due to its ultra-quiet electric motor and small size.

Another plus comes in the versatility of the vehicle. According to Armstrong, it can be flown in all kinds of weather and can be launched in a very unique way.

“It can be flown via Global Positioning System (GPS). We just program what route we want it to fly and it doesn’t matter if it’s night or day, in bad weather or good," he said. "We could launch the UAV from the submarine at sea or launch it from shore depending upon the available range.”

Acquisition of this UAV for submarine force protection is still under consideration, but Armstrong is optimistic this technology will be a part of the fleet in the future.

Read more at these sources :

>Link 1

> Link 2

Lockheed martin also has a sub launched UCAV project too :

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Thats cool! Wow that was one of the scenerio's in the article popular science did on unmanned subs. There would be UAVs and AUVs operation so they could track suspected illegal cargo or something. Either way thats awesome!

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Yeah its cool, if the US wanted some intelligence on targets in North Korea or China or some other nation they could go right next to the coast and launch the UAV.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
stealthspy I just wanted to say you find some of the best articles on this forum! Also its a new idea for my story!

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by blue cell
stealthspy I just wanted to say you find some of the best articles on this forum! Also its a new idea for my story!

yeah he does
shame he brings in his racist views into some of them

back to the topic
does this thing just crash after done with or ?

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
stuff like this makes you wonder about just what sort of real intellence that the US can gather and what sort of toys they have that arent known about.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Me and my friend were just thinking, maybe this could be the start of underwater carriers! I think the Ohio class subs would be a excelent choice for underwater carriers. I mean they reconfigured them to the SSGN role, even though thats not to different from what there past role was, but still think of the possibilites!

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Me and my friend were just thinking, maybe this could be the start of underwater carriers! I think the Ohio class subs would be a excelent choice for underwater carriers. I mean they reconfigured them to the SSGN role, even though thats not to different from what there past role was, but still think of the possibilites!

there has been rumors of this old idea before, along with underwater sub-battleship firing oh wow would these change the way navies fought future wars.

THink about a sub slipping under the enemy releasing ah fleet of auvs to place mines or charges on ships or dams, The small underwater carrier slips into the yellow sending robots all the way up the river to the dam scanning for weakiness in the construction using lasers to weaken the dam little by till it fails, oh thats too scary.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

Which part about this thread do you find racist

What does this avatar of yours read :

Is that the same language Al-queda use ??

does this thing just crash after done with or ?

I dont see how this thing can get back into the submarine, so i presume after its done its job it'll go kamikaze into some target.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy

Originally posted by bodrul

everything you post is racist to chinese or muslim. your comments about pakistanis and muslims is so offensive i wonder why they haven't banned you yet

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char2c35t

there has been rumors of this old idea before, along with underwater sub-battleship firing oh wow would these change the way navies fought future wars.

both of these ideas are not realy new at all. in ww2 the japanese had subs that were capeable of storeing, launching and recovering aircraft. it was not very big or had many aircraft, but technicaly it would be an aircraft carrior.

while i haven't heard of an actual "battleship" sub. originaly subs did mount cannon for anti-ship purposes. the advent of decent torpedoes made this idea less sound. after all why surface to fire at a ship, opening a weakness as an enimy could spot you and fire back. wher a ship can take damage above the water line without too much of a proble. ANY damage to a sub could render it unable to dive safely. thus an extended gun battle would have dire consequences on the sub. no divey, no escapey, as ships typical;y were faster than a sub. a subs main escape mechinisim is it's ability to dive and be unseen.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
everything you post is racist to chinese or muslim. your comments about pakistanis and muslims is so offensive i wonder why they haven't banned you yet

What does this avatar of yours read :

Is that the same language Al-queda use ??

it reads allah who
and i dont know what they use
i use it because i am a muslim
( u have any problem with it
)

I dont see how this thing can get back into the submarine, so i presume after its done its job it'll go kamikaze into some target.

wounder if it will cost effective having to crash each one they send out

[edit on 5-6-2005 by bodrul]

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This UCAV has no use. It will only give the sub position away. The only thing the submarine need is the antena able to comunicate with ships, satelites, Global Hawks etc. It doesn't need UCAVs.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
This UCAV has no use. It will only give the sub position away. The only thing the submarine need is the antena able to comunicate with ships, satelites, Global Hawks etc. It doesn't need UCAVs.

yea, besides, sat. in space can do a better job, and the enemy can't shoot it down too

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Agree with longbow..submarines are very loath to give away their positions.
They are also reluctant to unload and reload torpedo tubes to accomodate this tool. It would have to be carried in one of the vertical launch tomahawk tubes. Meaning also that they would have to come up close to the surface to launch. This is something submarines are reluctant to do ..especially in daytime.
I am wondering why such a tool cannot be launched by a stealth aircraft and the information relayed to the submarine in real time and encrypted. This especially since these UAVs are touted as disposable.
I know that at one time the Navy had a special airplane with a cable trailed out for hundred yards or so behind it on very low frequency for submarine communications. With a UAV it would just be a matter of launching and recieving and if necessary crossbanding the information to the submarine.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Actually bodrul, crashing it would be pretty stupid. Then the enemy could take it apart and use the technology. It probably is programmed to self destruct, to make sure nobody gets their hands on the high-tech stuff inside it.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I think its possible that there could be underwater aircraft carriers with this new tech, the only problem might be recovering them. But since unmanned planes can be programmed to follow certain routes and such it may be possible. As I said before a reconfigured Ohio class sub would be perfect, and maybe they can make a special unmanned sub/aircraft when its starting to come out of the water it can spread its wings, and when its starting to go in it can retract them and then a propeller can come out and they can dock in the launch tubes. Just an idea of course, but hey ya never know maybe it will happen in the near future.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Water recoveries are the easiest of course...

Nice find, I wasn't aware these were common knowledge...

yea, besides, sat. in space can do a better job, and the enemy can't shoot it down too

There are many things that thwart sat images, that do not pose a problem for UAVs.... There will always be a need for flight recon....

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Water recoveries are the easiest of course...

Nice find, I wasn't aware these were common knowledge...

There are many things that thwart sat images, that do not pose a problem for UAVs.... There will always be a need for flight recon....

agreed its like sports scouting were the scout sat is like watching the player on tv while the uav is like recording the player in person.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
MISLEADING.

Your title "USA's submarine launched UAV's", is incorrect. I does not say in your 2 links that a sub launched it. It says they break into 5 peices to fit in a small suitcase, which weights around 5 pounds, so its likely that they get "launched" by someone throwing them or a small catapult. also the articles dont even give out a name of the UAV, and last but not least...You put a concept picture of a skunkworks UCAV launched from a sub...the whole thing is misleading.

The article pointed out that its a good idea to give the sub sky high eyes, but said nothing about subs launching them.

It said it can be "launched in a very unique way", which leaves the door wide open for interpretation.

I think the real goal for this thread is that people should find out the name and specs and manufactuer and what not, for this UAV.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join