It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does drinking alcohol really kill your braincells?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Thats what i have heard, i know that drinking alcohol in vasts amount can damage your liver but what about braincells?

[Edited on 8-8-2003 by drunk]

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 04:21 AM
link   
It probably does, but at the end of the day, we all end up old and senile anyway.

We may as well get pi**ed and enjoy ourselves on the way

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Well if it does kill braincells then WTF am i still alive!?

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Actually i found an answer to my question

www.alcohol-drug.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Yes, alcohol does kill brain cells, but so does many other fun activities too. The best way to look at though is just like viewing Evolution and Survival of the Fittest. It's only the weaker and less capable cells that do not survive though, like the slowest and weakest of the herd. So alcohol is just thinning the herd so that the strongest cells continue and are used more often instead of the weaker.

Just be mindful that you don't cause extinction of a species and you'll be fine for the most part.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Its strange they say that alcohol kills braincells and causes liver disease, but it is a known fact that red wine is good for the heart but it also kills braincells, so in a way alcohol works in the same way a double agent would.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 05:42 AM
link   
They say a small amount of Wine is good for the Heart, like a small glass a day maybe. That is because of the thinning of your blood as a result. It's also just grape juice so it's natural, just fermented a bit, and fairly low alcohol content.

Killing brain cells has to be viewed in perspective though too...It's not like you only have a handful of them. Breath too much oxygen too fast till you get a head rush and you're killing brain cells also. So just like drinking, you are fine until you do TOO MUCH of something, then it will hurt ya.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
They say a small amount of Wine is good for the Heart, like a small glass a day maybe. That is because of the thinning of your blood as a result. It's also just grape juice so it's natural, just fermented a bit, and fairly low alcohol content.

Killing brain cells has to be viewed in perspective though too...It's not like you only have a handful of them. Breath too much oxygen too fast till you get a head rush and you're killing brain cells also. So just like drinking, you are fine until you do TOO MUCH of something, then it will hurt ya.

And thats how you get hangover, i gotta try and cut down on the wine then.Man its gonna be hard!

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Only the weak ones...

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Only the weak ones...

Well never leave a bottle of wine unguarded when i'm around!

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 07:06 AM
link   
You should try a champagne hangover, not a pretty site. I've never been able to drink enough wine personally, wine puts me to sleep better and faster than anything except maybe straight Nitros Oxide. I don't know why but 1 glass and it's nappy time for me.

After many years drinking I came up with these results:
Beer: Takes many to get drunk or sick. Vomiting and Hangover are mild. Hangover cured by "Hair of the Dog", or avoided sometimes with enough water after done with beer.
Anything Sweet or Syrupy or Creamy: Will sneak up on you if not careful. Very nasty sickness and bad hangovers. Difficult to aid because once sick or hungover Stomach no longer allows anything, not even if you're trying to help.
Just straight liquor: (My Favorite) Can also be sneaky but can be monitored easyily. Sickness is usually powerful yet short lasting, like a clean hot burn off from jet engine. Hangovers are bad usually painful, and can last over a day on occasion. (I know this from experience do not advise. Just over 2 days being hung from 1 night's fun, is a lesson that takes only 1 time to understand.)
Mixing: Results in a mixture of any or all of the above results, even when following the safty rule "Liquor then Beer, Never Fear...Beer then Liquor, Never Sicker".

Side Notes:
1. Irish, Scottish and Native American often will get mean and or violent. Maybe even quite uncontrolable.
2. American's as a majority cannot handle their drinking as well as the more experienced European drinkers, mainly Finish, German, Italian, Irish & Russian amongst others.
3. If you get Mean, Violent or Agressive when you drink by nature...Do all us happy drinkers a favor and either quit drinking with the rest of us, or solve your problems first and drink later...cause everyone hates your drunk @$$ and will make sure you regret throwing a drunken fit!!

[Edited on 8-8-2003 by mOjOm]

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Side Notes: 1. Irish, Scottish and Native American often will get mean and or violent. Maybe even quite uncontrolable.

So true...I myself don't become aggressive unless someone is acting like a fool when they get drunk and they start to piss me off. Usually I just fall into a corner and laugh at anything and everything. You're right about the Scots though, it has been known here for two best friends to hospitalise each other over the last drop of whisky

And Drunk, judging by the hangover, and the headache I woke up to on Wednesday morning, alcohol kills quite a few braincells.
Cider, then Vodka with mixers, then vodka straight...bad combination.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 07:57 AM
link   
[Side Notes:
1. Irish, Scottish and Native American often will get mean and or violent. Maybe even quite uncontrolable.

Scots do not go violent on drink but the english certainly do - look at their history of drink induced football violence.
Scots just like to party and anyone who says otherwise can enjoy a nice Glasgow kiss.

Ooh someone touched a nerve.

[Edited on 8-8-2003 by johnb]

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
Its strange they say that alcohol kills braincells and causes liver disease, but it is a known fact that red wine is good for the heart but it also kills braincells, so in a way alcohol works in the same way a double agent would.

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll..... no.

It's the antioxidant and phenol compounds in red wine that do it. You can get the same effect from other foods.

The ethanol (alcohol) on the other hand simply kills cells.

Note that the studies say that "drinking up to TWO glasses of wine conferrs the benefit" but studies also say that drinking more than that doesn't help.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I have a few Irish pals that would always become vocal once boozed up a little. Then progress to other more aggressive and interactive stages when drinking continued. My Indian (Native) friend was fine up to a point then completely unhinged, but usually only after straight liquor like Vodka, Whiskey, etc. Even worse is the line of no return was also the last point of remembering anything. It was common for the rest of us the next day to recap his adventures from the night before in order for him to know why he had so many new bruises and scrapes on himself, plus damaged items in around his appartment. Including my favorite which was a newly planted tree in his appartment complex that once stood about 10ft. tall that was snapped in half after he decided to go for a jog about 3am and stopped to climb this poor baby tree. After we found him, me and another guy had to drag him up the cement stairway, banging his knees on every step cause he refused to put his legs down and walk like a normal person.

The best ever was years ago, Senior in High School. An exchange student from Finland. 6'3" and built like an Ox, this guy was the funnest ever to drink with. Sadly he didn't realize that here in America legal drinking age is 21, which was as funny as it was disturbing to him when he found out. It was actually expensive and time consuming getting him drunk but he told the funniest stories to us all night all in a heavy accent with creative english word substitutions. I forget where he was from exactly but in his home town on the weekend there was a certain street lined mostly with bars that was blocked off at either end and would become just one big block party of drunkin' fools everywhere. From what he said, getting in atleast one fight and getting laid was not only common but standard practice, especially the fighting. Yet over there it's no big deal, no hard feelings, or guns being pulled out like here in America. Just good times. A perfect example of how backwards the mentality of many of the U.S. people are. Most people here are just too damn uptight and serious all the time.

johnb, by english do you mean England english or American English??

[Edited on 8-8-2003 by mOjOm]

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 08:42 AM
link   
England.

And as mentioned above Scots do drink a lot - I don't deny it. It always took me and all my mates to work out a complete picture of the night before- although many strange cuts and bruises were gathered stumbling about in the dark of the countryside or a large park in cities.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Well, I may not be the best case study on this subject but I do drink..not to drunkeness every night or anything but i do get a good buzz going 4 or 5 nights a week. I mix a little pure grain with my diet dew. 6 years ago, I took an IQ test and scored a 123, just last month on another, I scored 135. So, I haven't suffered any negative effects from it yet..mentally speaking.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 11:34 AM
link   
George W. Bush...nuff said...

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I am knew?
I sincerely hope and pray that alcohol kills and destoys brain cells!
If not I have been waisting my hard earned dollars!
Talk about a Conspiracy!

BOBO

posted on Aug, 10 2003 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Went out last nite for a few beers maybe more than a few and boy does me head hurt! so not only have i damaged me liver not by gr8 proportion, i have also nuked more than a few braincells, you might say that this was an experiment! or might say it was normal, i say it was a surprise cos i dont usually have a hangover after drinkin excessive amounts of alcohol.

Over all i was pissed and had a gr8 nite out.

[Edited on 10-8-2003 by drunk]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join