It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: State Department Assists Family of Missing Girl

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
from the cbs news story

Neighbors described the men as security guards who worked at a hotel closed down for renovation near where the teen was staying at the Holiday Inn. Police and FBI agents searched the hotel Saturday.

I hope they aren't the ones who did this because we do tend to place our trust in security guards in hotels or any other place that would have security guards.

The entire story is sad -- and it is a case in point for all parents to use to educate their children -- when you are 18 you feel that nothing bad can happen to you -and you feel that your judgement in people is totally on target -- as we age we realize that neither of these is the case. We have to learn as a global population that not everyone who seems nice is -- Ted Bundy is proof of this. And if you go somewhere with friends to party -- you LEAVE with those friends at the end of the night. I'm not putting the blame on the girl or her friends because they seperated but this could have been avoided if they had stayed together. And I am sure that the friends will live with this for the rest of their lives.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
JustMe
We still don't know what's really happening. Everybody is assuming the worst because they have suspects, I understand, but the truth is still a mystery. I think there's more to this than meets the eye.

If the security guards did do it, it wouldn't necessarily surprise me...

I just think the reaction from the DoS deserves some inquiry. Call me crazy, but what if they were deployed to steer the investigation? So why would they do that? Well, that's the question, isn't it?

humbled_one

It does'nt apply to this case but YOU are the one that put the link up saying that it was a racial thing that a wgite girl makes news and a black girl does not.

I'm well aware of that. I was asking if there was any other similarity, and if you notice, I answered that very same question in short order. I did indeed say that white girls get an innordinate amount of coverage in the media, I stand by that statement, and I maintain there's nothing racist about it. I'm not promoting one race over another, I'm arguing against the racism that's apparent to me.

How in the hell does attacking racism make one a racist?

YOU put the link up and made the statement, go read what you wrote.

I'm very familiar with what I wrote. I don't see what you're getting at, because the issue under discussion (in this little side drama you've drawn me into) is whether asking for equal news coverage is racist. It's not, and you're arguing semantics to avoid confronting that flaw in the logic of your accusation. Don't call me a racist unless you're willing to back it up, saying that sort of trash on the street meets with predictable reactions, you think it's any different here?

As far as the case that is being talked about here, there may well be more to it then meets the eye, but again YOU are the one that wanted to make it look like a racial thing by your remarks in your first post.

I don't want to make it look like anything. I want to show others how it looks to me.

Also I do not need a dictonary to tell me that you have some kind of issues when you have to add the word "little" before "white girl"...get real...

First of all, I didn't have to do anything, I chose to include the word because it conveyed beautifully my vitrolic nature when it comes to this issue.

What you do need a dictionary for is to refresh your understanding of the word you flung at me out of anger. I used the word little to reflect my smirking disdain for the status quo, my frustration at seeing yet another random white girl's face grace the entire spread of media. I did not use the word little to make people think blacks are more important or more valuable, or more worthy of rights than the rest of humanity. I don't know how you arrived at that conclusion. I have no interest in promoting the values and needs of one race over another, and that's reflected adequately in my treatment of this story.

The news has a white girl fetish, it's plain to see. I want to know why, and I want it to change. If wanting all the races to share this country makes me a racist..well #, I guess I'm a racist in your book.

To be honest, this is more about class than it is about race, but the two brands of discrimination have a long and sordid history of bedding down together, to the eyes of many they're inseperable. Class priviledge has always favored the established ethnic persuasion above the newcomers, this has worked to the advantage of whites in this country since its inception.

You want me to get real?

Why don't you try providing a counterpoint that doesn't resort to the ad hominem.

Here's an interesting read for those interested in understanding a little better what it means to be discriminated against.
www.freestateproject.org...

I like this..it's right at the end.

Why does our loss of our humanity and human rights bother us so little? Perhaps because we see everyone else now in our same condition: unlike 150 years ago, there are no free men left to envy. If some people wish to live as slaves, that is their business, but those of us who do not should be free to group together and associate with other liberty-minded people. Let the peasants and slaves have their false security, we will exercise our rights and choose freedom.

[edit on 5-6-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Here's my question:

Why was this kid at Carlos and Charlies at 1:30 in the morning? Don't get me wrong - I know what senior trips are for. I know what I was doing as a senior. More power to you. But I've been to C&C's. And bandit's previous description of it is spot on, but there's more. The immediate area around C&C's is NOT a very safe feeling place...and especially not at 1:30 in the morning when you're slobbering drunk. When we left I was accompanied by Springer and a whole group of his friends. And it STILL was uncomfortable for a few seconds when some riff-raff hanging out just outside the club approached us and started getting jicky.

Which one of the wonder-nuts acting as an adult chaperone let this happen? I've read that the mother thinks the adult chaperones "did all they could". Unless this girl slipped out to C&C's without their knowledge, I have to call B.S. on that statement. If a chaperone was at that club and allowed her to leave that bar, in that neighborhood, with any one other than the group she came with, they didn't do "all they could".

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
The problem is that the bouncers don't always look at id's. I often see underage girls (American, Venezuelian, Dutch and Arubian) in C&C, or in Bahia next door. Once I saw high school seniors from Boston stripping till their underwear and then jumping into a blow up kiddie pool. That's what happens there. And there are always Arubian or latin (ghetto wannabe) kids hanging outside of the clubs playing music, drinking etc... But unlike Val, I always feel safe there. Probably because I'm local and know lots of ppl there.

But anyway what I described above is just looking for problems.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
WYRDEONE, Ok, where are your "stats" then that say more "little white girls" are reported in the media then "little black girls". Other then this being your opinion, where are the stats? first off , when ever a child goes missing you are talking about "local" news for the area that reports the child went missing as I do not ever remember a missing child being reported on world news for the most part. Now I live in Phila. right now and on the local news I can tell you for a fact that i have seen more black children reported missing then i have seen white children reported missing.
What you are saying I doubt you have any stats to back up, other then maybe where you live there is a greater population of white children or something so they are missing more and then reported more.
Obviouly there is something going on with this girl and her missing in Aruba, however if you had just posted that then this would have been a non-racist thing. However you want to post a link which is comparing apples to oranges to prove some point you make about white girls reported more then black girls. The black girl in your article went "missing" like a large number of children every day. The white girl in your artilce was abducted by gunpoint right out her home, so of course that is going to be news, it does not happen every day and it proabbaly was world news not just local. If the world news was to report every child that went "missing" every day in America, they would not have time to tell any other news. It has nothing to do with being black or white. So again, show me the stats that say more white children are covered in the news missing then are black children. If you just would have posted this thread as it being weird that the stae department is involved with a girl who went missing, that of course is interesting. But you wanted to add the whole "racial angle" to it and it does not hold up. Again if it does show me the stats...

[edit on 6-6-2005 by humbled_one]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   
According to this site:
Link

Black children account for around 42% of non family child abduction cases, yet represent about 15% of the population. These numbers conflict with the data presented by Amber Alerts, which means one of two things - 1. Amber Alert is biased 2. These numbers are incorrect

I have lived in many places, including both coasts, Chicago, and many states, and I see the same pattern everywhere. I've noticed the trend, and I don't think I'm alone, since many people in the black community are actively trying to raise awareness of missing minority children. Even trading cards and comic books have been created to try and get some publicity to these cases.

Interestingly enough, according to those statistics, 40% of non family abductions include the sexual assault of the child, even in cases where the kid was returned. This means that even though 99% of abduction cases are resolved within 24 hours, nearly half of those are still serious crimes that need to be dealt with.

So maybe there is a child abduction epidemic...

In my experience,

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Anyway, I've heard some very bad stories about those kids from a Holiday Inn waiter. He said they were constantly drunk or stoned, giving $20 $30 tips, noisy, wild. And God knows how many people they've had sex with that weekend. Including Natalee. The guy told me that the three guys she was seen last with, she probably went behind the light house to have sex with. She probably slept with other guys the nights before.

He also knew that they went to buy illegal drugs.

Here it says that Natalee is "miss perfect"
www.cbsnews.com...

[edit on 7-6-2005 by TheBandit795]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I've found a blogger that seems to agree with Wyrdeone here.

www.useless-knowledge.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Wyrdeone,
I don't want to argue with you anymore. but here's the thing with the link you sent and what you said about the "Amber alert". Do you really think that those running the amber alert are saying "oh, this kid is black so let's not bother reporting it"? One, i doubt that and two, i would think that the parents have some involvemnet with the whole amber alert system. Also I don't think that the amber alert system is even set up in every area of the U.S. is it? If it is not, then of course there are kids not being reported on it. Now, as far a my expirence when watching the local news in NYC, I saw more hispanic and black children reported missing then i saw white children (not like this is reported every day of course). Now that i am in Phila. I remember seing a few kids that have been reported missing and they were all black. There also has been one adult white couple that has gone missing here in Phila. and yes they keep reporting every few weeks as it is mysterious the way they have gone missing and they were adults and a couple, but not because they are white.
I just find it hard to believe anyway that the people running Amber Alert are racist's and again would not the parents be involved with making sure their kid is seen on Amber alert?

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Just heard on Fox News that one of the two men being questioned will be charged with Kidnapping, Homicide, and Accessory to Homicide. He will be charged in court tomorrow.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I know at least one of those guys by face.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
I know at least one of those guys by face.

That is a surreal feeling isn't it -- we had what I term as a nodding acquaintance with people who were killed in 9/11 and I know how surreal that felt. When you live in a small town (or I guess even a part of a large town that seems like a small town) you know everyone - even if you only know they by face (or what I term a nodding acquaintance -- where you see someone and nod your hellos to them) it seems odd to learn something about that person that you would never have imagined.

I hope I was able to express this right -- I have thought on and off all day on how I wanted to answer this so it was right. I have a really hard time getting what is in my head and heart to come out right in words a lot of time.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by justme1640
That is a surreal feeling isn't it -- we had what I term as a nodding acquaintance with people who were killed in 9/11 and I know how surreal that felt. When you live in a small town (or I guess even a part of a large town that seems like a small town) you know everyone - even if you only know they by face (or what I term a nodding acquaintance -- where you see someone and nod your hellos to them) it seems odd to learn something about that person that you would never have imagined.

I know exactly what you mean....I'm sure Bandit is getting that same feeling now...

I was acquainted with several 9/11 victims as well, but more to the point, I was also once a distant friend of a lady here in town who basically shot and killed her husband for his money and got away with it....It's a very eerie feeling...

I think this is tragic, but one could say that it's not unexpected....When you take the risks and gamble away your life for sex and drugs, like Bandit's investigating has clearly proven here, you pay the price...

It's been interesting to follow this story and to have your insider input Bandit...Awesome job on keeping us all informed man!

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Bandit, the link you post in the post that you say agree with Wydreone actually does not agree with what Wydreone is trying to say. The link you posted simply talks about 2 women who went missing, they were/are not children. The writer of the article saying that "white" women are in the fave of the media or whatever they said is just to help sell his article. I hardly think that 2 white women being reported missing is a national racist epidemic, do you? i know by the stats that are reported of adults who go missing everyday, that there must be a whole lot more then just 2 white women. Why have 2 white women been reported recently? Simply because they did not just go "missing", they had interesting cicumstances surronding the way they went missing, so it ends up being news worthy. It's that simple, there is nothing racist about it. I also have already said in other posts how there is also nothing racist going on about more white children being reported then black children, etc., etc. Again, do you really think that the people working for "amber alert" are racist's saying "we are not going to report black children missing"? And don't you think the parents of missing children have something to do with their missing kids being on Amber alert?

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   

White women in peril are the lifeblood of the all-news cable outlets. CNN, FOX News and MSNBC milked Jennifer Wilbanks for all she was worth and now they have turned their spotlight on Natalee Holloway.

That was a quote from the link (Thanks for posting that BTW - it's no coincidence that a blog agreeing with me bears the title "Useless Knowledge"
). I'd say it agrees precisely with what I think. I doubt whether that blogger agrees with everything I think, but in this case we're on the same page.

My comment about the Amber alert was a subtle suggestion to review other statistics. That program is still fairly new, and it has not been adopted in even half the states, if memory serves. So in any case, I was pointing out that our statistics do not agree, which is unsurprising. Statistics can be used to prove any point, even to the point where they contradict each other.

Just keep an open mind is what I'm saying. Notice for yourself the trends and patterns. We can agree to disagree.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
WyrdeOne -- thought you might be interested in a thread I began about another girl (Amy Bradley) who is missing from 1998 -- all of this new publicity has focused some new interest in her case. I don't remember there being much about this when it happened -- I vaguely remember one show on it -- I think it was on "America's Most Wanted"

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

In her case though I think the cruise line industry tried to keep the information out of the public eye. And I guess they succeeded since we don't know as much about her case. And since there is a $260,000 reward for information put up by the family and friends you would have thought there would be more interest in this case and much more publicity.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Personally I think those guys that were arrested are innocent. I'm thinking more and more that she just ran away. I've heard a rumour that she once ran away in another country already. And that she was involved in drug use at the age of 16.

One of the newspapers yesterday put pictures on the front page with illustrations of Natalee with short brown hair and short black hair. There's some speculation that she may have changed her look.
Furthermore, a colleague of my mom has claimed to have seen her in a neighbourhood called "the village" in San Nicolas, wearing a hat and shades.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Personally I think those guys that were arrested are innocent. I'm thinking more and more that she just ran away

Yeah she probably ran away. Did anyone watch Larry King Live this moring or night...whatever. Anyways he had one of the guys lawyers on the phone and the lawyer said that one of the guy's wife and kids can vouch for his story..that he was with them or something like that.

Anyways...I think there has to be a body to be charged for murder/homicide? Im not sure though...or that could just be in the states.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I've just gotten an e-mail from a friend of mine saying that they have found her. No details yet though.

Stay tuned...

Edit:False rumour. Never mind...

[edit on 9-6-2005 by TheBandit795]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Wyrdeone, that sounds fair enough.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join