It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Mexican Flag Placed Above US Flag in Oregon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
In an Oregon State Employment Office in Medford, OR, a Mexican flag has been placed to the right of and higher than the US flag. A licensed electrician, Earl Howard of Shady Cove, OR, heard this story and went to see it for himself. He asked to speak to the manager, Ms. Jean Work, but was told she was unavailable. Mr. Howard spoke to a representative of the manager and explained that it is illegal to place any other country's flag in a more prominent place than the US flag. The Mexican flag was removed.
But when Mr. Howard returned, the flag was back in the same spot. The employment office claims that the flag is in an employee’s cubicle. It is in fact above the cubicle and in plain sight of the public. A picture of the placement of the flag can be seen in the link.

www.usobserver.com
Walking into the Oregon State Employment Office at 119 N. Oakdale Ave. in Medford, Oregon can already be a daunting experience for many who are looking for work or have to file a claim. To many it can be a stressful occasion. Being met by a Mexican flag hoisted above the Stars and Stripes on the back wall of this state-run office is for many, like Earl Howard of Shady Cove, OR, "downright un-American."
An attempt to reach Ms. Work in the office by NewsWithViews and US~Observer staff was met with the same response, "she's not here but a representative will be with you shortly." And soon thereafter Chris Rahn, an Employment Division employee, came out asking if he could be of any assistance, but when asked about the flag, he simply said, "I can't comment on anything." However when he was asked about the Federal law restricting such activity and if it were in fact legal he said, "We checked."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

For years, many people have complained that we are being forced to become a bilingual community. Allegations of racial discrimination against illegal aliens abound. Are we being forced and are Mexican nationals being favored over our own citizens?

Related News Links:
www.newswithviews.com

[edit on 5/27/2005 by darkelf]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I beleive there is a bias to this story... along the pro american slant... (the original, not ATS)

it is truly being done.
legal or not, it should be removed or placed lower... it is only right, since this is AMERICA...

And that employee needs to move to mexico, since they are all fired convinced that it is a better country... and that will be one more job available for an american.

(see story for the pic)

[edit on 27-5-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
If you click on the first link and scan down you will see the picture. It is obviously to the right and higher.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
These things I don't get.
It's a freaking flag.
So what?

Big deal?

Obviously someone is being hysterical there, but why not let them degrade themselves and play their childish "ooo my flag is higher than your flag" game, in the end it can only make them look like fools eh?

Unless we go along and play the game with them, then WE look like fools as well.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   

To many it can be a stressful occasion. Being met by a Mexican flag hoisted above the Stars and Stripes on the back wall of this state-run office is for many, like Earl Howard of Shady Cove, OR, "downright un-American."

www.usobserver.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

Americans are going hungry, children can't read, and people are gettting hot and bothered over a couple of inches? From the picture it just looks like that was the only way they could get the flags to stay up. Not some NWO conspiracy.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I've spent most of my life in areas where Hispanics were by far the majority. You get used to getting phone bills in two languages, everything that's sent home from schools is in two languages, and most places will hire someone who speaks Spanish before someone who doesn't unless there's a strong difference in other job-related capabilities. While the Mexican flag was displayed fairly often in those areas, it was never on a state building (with possibly the exception of the immigration office or the border patrol.)

I now live in the Pacific Northwest, quite a ways up the road from Oregon on the other side of the Columbia. While the Hispanic population in this area is higher than I expected, it is still much, much lower than the border areas I used to live in. I see absolutely no reason it should be displayed on a state building period. In an area with a high Hispanic population, its almost understandable, but its not justifiable.

This is America; government offices are paid for with American taxes and run by American citizens. They are primarily (not solely mind you) here to serve the needs of American citizens. While some effort should be made to make those of other nationalities and backgrounds feel comfortable and accepted, it should not be done in a manner which denies the land that they are currently in. Put up a sign that says "Si habla espanol," if you must. Have your staff be primarily bilingual if you want. Have all of the signs in the building be in two or more languages. But it's still America.

And at the same time, why limit it to just Mexicans? If they feel a need to place a foreign flag up, why not represent every country that has a presence in the US, or at least the region you're in? I mean, in some areas on the west coast there's just as many (if not more) Asians than Hispanics and Eurpoeans combined. Why not have the Cambodian, Vietnamese, etc. flags flying?

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
while someone does have the right to diplay a flag even at work. this paticular flag position is wrong.i se no problem if the paticular person were to have say a small flag on his desk, or even a small flag on the wall within the workers personal workspace. not a full sized flag that is both above the national flag and in a possition considdered to be more prominant. it IS A US GOVERNMENT BUILDING. a public space that AMERICANS are there to conduct american governmental business.

i can fully apriciate what the problem is. that employee needs to be diciplened for the gross error in judgement. it wouldn't have been so bad ecept for the fact that the flag was put back in place afterwards. a government office is no place to flaunt someones old country. if this employee wants to display this flag it should be no higher than his cubical walls. the very fact that the flag was mounted in such a manor is only going to inflame those people who are americans. if he was granted permission to hang it in ssuch a manor then the one who gave permission shoul be diciplened as well.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
From the news link.
according to Federal Law it is illegal as outlined in the United States Code, Title 36, Chapter 10:

§175. Position and manner of display:

(c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof:

Even in Oregon the claim can be made that it is in violation of its own revised statutes:

166.075 Abuse of venerated objects.
(1) A person commits the crime of abuse of venerated objects if the person intentionally abuses a public monument or structure, a place of worship or the national or state flag.
(2) As used in this section and ORS 166.085, “abuse” means to deface, damage, defile or otherwise physically mistreat in a manner likely to outrage public sensibilities.
(3) Abuse of venerated objects is a Class C misdemeanor. [1971 c.743 §224; 1995 c.261 §2]

With all of the controversy over religious icons in places, I was curious to see the reaction of ATS members of another illegal act. I live in Texas and am used to everything being bilingual. I even agree that employees should be allowed to place flags or other items in their cubicles.

The two questions I posed are from the article. My intent was to ask if we really feel this way. This is not an anti-Mexican article. Why didn't the office just raise the US flag higher? Could I go to Mexico and place the US flag above their national flag?

[edit on 5/27/2005 by darkelf]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Section 3G of the USA flag laws and regulations says it all. International law forbids the display of one nations flag over another nations flag during a time of peace.

So just forget the normal US laws this one says it all. The flag needs to be lowered now!USA flag laws

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   

from Jakko
These things I don't get.
It's a freaking flag.
So what?

Big deal?

I feel the same way about the Quran fiasco. Big deal - it's just a book.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
So this whole problem could be solved by just lowering the Mexican flag a bit? Just get it done with, the whole thing seems silly.

Steve

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Really now, I dont see why people are so upset (as said above) Its just a flag, nothing else, it does'nt have any profanity, or lude images onit.

I cant beleive this even made it to be a news story.

You know what, just because I read this, I'm gonna go fly the Japanese flag above the American one, and a Brittish flag at an equal length to the American one in front of my house, Its my right to.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I think it's apparent that this is a minor infraction by an employee, not the agency. However, the offended party is correct to note that the flags are in public view and it is public property and therefore, either the flags should be displayed correctly or they should be removed from view.

I agree that the flag is only a symbol and don't much agree with much of the hysteria surrounding it's use or abuse by civilians, but in this case flag etiquette should be followed out of respect for the nation and the public.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
A Koran you can desecrate and respond with a great big "Who cares?!" "Its only a book"

But place a flag higher than the ol' star spangled banner and its "They turk ur jurbs!!!" "How dare they! This is America!"

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Oh no!!, their flag is higher than ours!!!

Grow up kids.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Wake up.

This is now Mexico-America.

The congress and whitehouse have sold the US out to Mexico for their corporate pimps.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Curious, isn't it? This is a clear violation of Federal AND state law. In fact, the flag is replaced after being removed.
When I am in my own country, and a foreign flag is given prominence over the Domestic one, to which am I to owe alliegance? I guess this kind of bothers me just a bit.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Teapot Forecast: Strong Chance Of Tempest

I'm having a hard time getting all hot and bothered about this -- and I have my own flag pole and treat the U.S. flag with scrupulous respect.

What I want to know is this: What the the bloody hell is a Mexican flag doing in that office in the first place?

What does Mexico have to do with an unemployment office in the United States?

Do they display U.S. flags in unemployment offices in Mexico?

All in all, just a bunch of silliness to get all puffed up over, in my opinion.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I think all of the outrage has to do more with xenophobia than any sense of patriotism. I mean, I can think of worse things done with our flag.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel - Oscar Wilde

Flag's are what make people great - Voice_of doom

There is no enemy anywhere - Lao Tse

top topics

<<   2 >>

join