It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Does David Blaine Levitate? Do You Know?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I've seen David Blaine in many a TV special, and been able to understand most of his "tricks". But there is one that I can't quite grasp, Levitation.

You can't say camera trick, because they've zoomed in on his feet & shown wide-angle shots of him doing this.

The most common thing he does after this is arch is back and hold his stomach, as though it hurt him to do this. If this is mind-over-matter (no pun intended), why would it hurt him?

I'm not saying he can or can't, simply asking for an explaination.

Also, have other magicians done the same stunt?

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I recently saw one of his specials for the first time and I was quite impressed myself; I had to find out too. Although I won't necessarily say it's true, the main logical explanation I found was rather disappointing. I don't remember exactly where I found it, but google something like "david blaine levitation" and surf the results for about half an hour; you'll most likely run across it.

Blaine (according to what I read) actually does two "levitations" for the audience, at least in the Street Magic special. The first one is called the Balducci levitation; it's quite simple, but if you get the angles just right and the person watching is maybe caught a little off guard, you'll blow their socks off. Essentially all it boils down to is standing on the toes of one foot with the angle set just right to where the audience can't see it. Your back has to be turned somewhat to the audience, roughly a 45 degree angle to your profile. You only rise up a couple of inches with this one. That's the first levitation he does, and the crew films the reactions to that one.

The second "levitation," where he seems to be about a foot off the ground, is actually an editing trick, and this is the footage of Blaine they'll show on the special. Supposedly Blaine tells the audience that he's going to show them how magicians levitate in stage acts. He has the rigging and everything setup (off camera) and performs it for them. In the cutting room, the footage of him rising a foot or so off the ground is spliced with the audience's reaction to his first levitation (the one they were told was real), and voila! you have an amazing television special.

Again, this is from what I read online, I just want to drive that home so I don't get hit too hard
Some of the other stuff he does is just out there though. I give him massive kudos for the endurance challenges he puts himself through--my idea of an endurance test is seeing how many minutes I can go without a cigarette. And his tricks are definitely fun to watch, even if they're explained or not.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Thank you very much for the insightful post. His endurance tests are interesting, but one could point out that he wasn't "frozen" in the block of ice. Some even claim he was warm inside of the "igloo". Seems rational, as does your hypothesis, but can it be replicated? Is he the only person who can do this?

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enigmatic Debris
Is he the only person who can do this?

No. No he is not. He's standing on his toes. If you have two feet and a sense of balance, you can do it. The trick is getting the angle exactly right and being a exceptional showman. But there is nothing physically extreme about what he does.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Ok, since nobody else will... I'll venture to look like the nut...

Perhaps he has developed enough telekinetic ability to lift himself off the ground for a very short amount of time. Maybe by creating a pocket of energy beneath him, he can push himself up. After all, he's randomly levitated other objects, such as leaves or pieces of paper, while just walking around. The feeling sick part is most likely just part of the show, but it could be from expending so much energy so quickly.

Then again, it could just be a trick, after all.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
David has done some amazing things. However, levitating is his trick I cannot understand.
Somehow, it, in my mind, is a trick eg something comes out of the front of his shoes or something?, that is clear and he balances on it - notice he does not allow anyone in front of him when performs that particular majic..

Dallas

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas

- notice he does not allow anyone in front of him when performs that particular majic..

Dallas

Yes that is because the "illusion" must be viewed from a side angle.
I do this trick all the time, it's called the Balducci Levitation as another poster stated above.

If you saw the Atlantic City taping where he is floating in the air then you were fooled by a camera trick and nothing more.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Video editing tricks...if done on TV (the show was not live)

Angle trick...if done in public.

He is just a great magician or illusionist ... that's all!

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
So, is or isn't there credibility to the rumor that he's part of the Merovingian Bloodline? Or is he just a magician rippin' us all off?

Didn't Harry Houdini belong to a secret society? Just questions folks, please don't jump down my throat. The only way you find out is to ask.

Great posts so far!!!!! And the idea of energy (probably using vibrations) is an interesting theory. Anyone else hear anything to prove this use, or dispell it?

[edit on 20-5-2005 by Enigmatic Debris]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Are you talking about the 13 illuminati bloodlines...

www.whale.to...

If so, then he's just one of those low class elite. To be part of the top elite, that person should have some of these characteristics (blond hair or red hair or blue eyes or green eyes).

Also usually those people has a higher percentage of Reptilian DNA in them, which is up to 50% human and 50% reptilian.

These type of people usually go through Major specific Mind-control programming sessions from the time they were concieved to their daily lives...

I would not be suprised if David Blaine is fully Mind-controlled.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
he was exposed a long time ago. he has one foot behind the other. no magic.

DAVID BLAINE VERSION

David Blaine used various camera shots in his TV special with the audience reaction being filmed close up and linked to other clips of him in mid air with some of the angles showing the Balducci levitation.

The special did not show the number of times he mucked up the illusion which is very easy to do.

The view that shows him rise a good few inches in the air and does not show the audience and would have been done with a bar attached to a pivot like a seesaw.

The end of the pivot would have had a hook which clipped onto a harness attached to his belt and a member of the crew would have pushed down on the other side of the bar lifting David up in the air. The camera angle would have hidden the props.

This film would have been mixed in with the audience clips in the studios later.

anyone ever hear of google ?

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
The special did not show the number of times he mucked up the illusion which is very easy to do.

Well, I don't know if I'd say it is all that easy to do. I suppose physically yes it's very easy. But what I'm saying is that it's not very easy to pull it off. Especially with a group of people watching like he does. With one person it usually works pretty well though.

The tricks using editing IMO were not a good idea and in the end makes him look like a cheater and con which is not the message he's trying to put out. The real tricks he does are great as is and he does a lot of good in how he breaks down social blocks and stirs people up and inspires them to be different and enjoy it.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 12:31 AM
link   
However, it is possible the David actually did levitated...via some kind of technology...

I just remember this. Someone I know told me a while ago that he saw some kid levited with both feet off the ground...he was sure of himself.

Anyway, is it possible that David blaine is using similar high teck device such as these:
www.americanantigravity.com...

SMR

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
The Balducci Levitation:
The Balducci Levitation is an illusion that can be performed almost anywhere, anythime. It uses no wires, strings, rigs, camera tricks, etc.
The illustrations at the right show you the audience point-of-view.

This is a highly restrictive, angle-sensitive trick. You have to practice your angles over and over to get used to them. One bad angle or position and the illusion is blown!
You too can leviatate with these easy to follow instruction!

I still enjoy watching him though.But man is he a strange dude.He talks like he hasnt slept in weeks.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 01:01 AM
link   
He's a blainetologist!
havent you ever seen south park?

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwen
However, it is possible the David actually did levitated...via some kind of technology...

I just remember this. Someone I know told me a while ago that he saw some kid levited with both feet off the ground...he was sure of himself.

Anyway, is it possible that David blaine is using similar high teck device such as these:
www.americanantigravity.com...

No. He's not rich enough or connected enough to have something of that Super-Hidden-Science or Sci-Fi nature. He's a street Magician and somewhat of the "celebrity in-crowd" guy, but that's it. In case you're wondering, I like his "Real" street magic and his style and social messages, although sometimes he comes off having too much ego.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Undoubtedly Blaine is a genius when it comes to performing magic tricks no one can beat him. Best just to leave it be imo and be amazed at how good he is at entertaining folks on the street

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Blaine definitely does not use the Balducci Levitation trick. Perhapse the video splicing that someone else mentioned, but in the videos I saw he went MUCH higher than anyone could go by using that trick, unless his toes are about a foot long each.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I saw David Copperfield fly in person. I went to his show in Atlantic City years ago when I was a kid. He even picked up a chick (he's always picking up women, it pisses me off how much game he kicks with that magic crap!) from the audience and flew around with her. They went into a glass box and everything just to show that there were no cables holding them up.

It really freaked me out how he did that. I think the things that Copperfield has done are far more amazing than Blain's "street magic." Let's see Blain make the Statue of Liberty disappear. Let's see Blain walk through the Great Wall of China!

Now lets see how many responses I get of people ripping and exposing Copperfield. LOL

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Herman
Blaine definitely does not use the Balducci Levitation trick. Perhapse the video splicing that someone else mentioned, but in the videos I saw he went MUCH higher than anyone could go by using that trick, unless his toes are about a foot long each.

they splice the vids, and don't show his mistakes. illuminati bloodline.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join