It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: A Preview of PATRIOT 2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
It has been years in the making and hotly debated on the internet but PATRIOT 2 has remained relatively hidden from view. A preview of the bill has been given by Senate Aides who are helping prepare the bill for the legislative process. Powers included in the Bill are speculatory but could include giving the FBI power to subpoena without court approval.

www.sfgate.com
WASHINGTON - The chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee is working on a bill that would renew the Patriot Act and expand government powers in the name of fighting terrorism, letting the
FBI subpoena records without permission from a judge or grand jury.

Much of the debate in Congress has concerned possibly limiting some of the powers in the anti-terrorism law passed 45 days after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Bush administration will have to report every 6 months to Congress on how the powers are being used. I can see a showdown on this bill, it has wide ranging powers that many are going to have a problem with.

The bill will aid the courts by giving wider scope to prosecutors and will allow the use of secret wiretaps that have previously been off limits.

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com
newstandardnews.net

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
This is a continuation of violation of our rights. after the first patriot act and reading the preliminary details of this one, i hear the echoing of Jefferson's Declaration of Independence's "He has" statements...kinda funny...George Bush, George the III. It would be funnier if it weren't true though.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Really doesn’t seem good at all. Though I guess it is still too early to truly know the bills effects on our freedoms, I can only suspect that many will have a problem with it. In my mind, I doubt they will have too much trouble getting this through congress.

Guess we can only wait and see.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Well once this one gets passed, I wonder how much longer you Americans will be waiting for Patriot Act 3?! 4... 5...

I am with you when you say you disagree with it. God damn facist administration!

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 05:22 AM
link   
It is out of our hands now. There is nothing the American people can do now. We are so placated in our daily lives that we can barley see what goes on outside our own front door.

If anyone wants to know a little more about this legislation, see this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

We still have a few freedoms left in this country. When this passes, we will be no more free than Cuba.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   

A Preview of PATRIOT 2

This sounds like the release of a movie...
As Ishes said i wonder how many more Acts this particular franchise can withstand, look at Police Academy it got 8 or something but Aliens could only get 4...

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
It always amazes me that a country obsessed with its democratic tradition and personal freedoms can allow this legislation to happen. Such is the power of fear.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I read this section from an alleged "leak" of the Patriot act 2 draft [Link]. If it is true, then I wonder if people who use encryption for the simple purpose of ensuring their privacy will automatically be flagged as a "suspected terrorist". I believe they have already purposed that people on their suspected terrorist list be denied the right to buy firearms.

"Section 404: Use of Encryption to Conceal Criminal Activity.(page 22)

In recent years, terrorists and other criminals have begun to use encryption technology to conceal their communications when planning and conducting criminal activity. Title 18 of the United States Code currently contains no prohibition on the use of encrypted communications to plan or facilitate crimes. This proposal would amend federal law to provide that any person who, during the commission of or the attempt to commit a federal felony, knowingly and willfully uses encryption technology to conceal any incriminating communication or information relating to that felony, be imprisoned for an additional period of not fewer than 5 years. These additional penalties are warranted to deter the use of encryption technology to conceal criminal activity. In addition, it does not address the issue of whether software companies and internet service providers should give law enforcement access to "keys" for the purposes of decoding intercepted communications."

I also noticed that the topic here changed from terrorists using encryption to anyone who uses it to commit a felony. It may not sound like much now, but will they expand this idea to included internet relay chat channels and such?
I'm sorry, but the overall danger of terrorism in America does not warrant such governmental behavior. I'd rather risk dying at the hands of a terrorist than live under the prying eyes of the government.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
It always amazes me that a country obsessed with its democratic tradition and personal freedoms can allow this legislation to happen. Such is the power of fear.

Speaking of fear, I wonder if we have become a nation of whimps? There hasn't been any change in legislation in Spain, after the massive bombings there, at least not on this scale. How can our people allow themselves scared to the point of giving up the freedoms that they seem to cherish so much in the past?

Seizure of records without an official subpoena from a judge is that that -- an ex-judicial process and effectively a tyranny.

Maybe we shold reconstruct Joseph Stalin from his DNA so he can help us build the new and glorious security system.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   

This proposal would amend federal law to provide that any person who, during the commission of or the attempt to commit a federal felony, knowingly and willfully uses encryption technology to conceal any incriminating communication or information relating to that felony, be imprisoned for an additional period of not fewer than 5 years.

Patriot Act I and II and future versions smack of a government that either hates or fears its citizenry and certainly has unfettered contempt for its constitutional foundation.

This sounds like a windfall for those who invest in prison industry stock. Watch the prison population swell after this is enacted. The US already has the highest or nearly the highest percentage of its population behind bars. Looks like we'll not lose that distinguished honor very soon. If the foregoing statement is true, then this will apply to a plethora of federal crimes.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Its not just fear that has caused it. Its fear and apathy that are the two main culprits for the position both Americans and us British are in. People who can see the dangers from our government either dont know what to do or just cannot be bothered.

Those who cant see the dangers from these forms of legislation are just not interested in politics enough. As such they just dont want to be bothered with it and will vote for any one who tells them what they want to hear.

What can we do? I think uniting all dissenters and activists under a common banner and from a common location is the best thing we can do. Problem is, who creates the banner and who's location?

[edit on 19/5/05 by subz]

top topics

join